Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

When Shooting a manual lens with tele extender and SR on

do you set for the focal length of the lens or the lens with the extender on.

Example:

300mm lens with 1.4 extender is 420mm. Do you set for 400mm or 300mm ?

wll

06-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter

You want to set SR to the actual focal length, or as close to the actual focal length as possible. So in this case, set for 400mm.
06-23-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I may add a related question since this thread just reminded me....what about setting for a zoom? I have a manual 75-250mm. The answer is either the min, max, or avg I have to believe. Thats too many choices for a guess.
06-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
If I may add a related question since this thread just reminded me....what about setting for a zoom? I have a manual 75-250mm. The answer is either the min, max, or avg I have to believe. Thats too many choices for a guess.
Someone actually said this a while back. I do not remember when or where, but it was from an official person....ish..
For a zoom, set it to the minimal, because you will still get SR effect, just not as aggressively.

06-24-2009, 02:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter

K100D manual states that when using a zoom lens, select the actual focal length at the zoom setting.

So each time you change the zoom setting, you should change the SR focal length.

Don't know if that applies to other models, but don't see any reason it wouldn't.
06-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

uh....right. I think I change the zoom far too often under normal circumstanstances to do that but I understand the official stance. Thats why I thought an Avg would work but maybe Min works because if it is overstated it causes a problem. I do know from experience if the setting is MUCH HIGHER than it should be it will make getting a clean shot harder than no SR.

Wll - I hope this is interesting to you otherwise sorry for jumping your thread.
06-24-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
uh....right. I think I change the zoom far too often under normal circumstanstances to do that but I understand the official stance. Thats why I thought an Avg would work but maybe Min works because if it is overstated it causes a problem. I do know from experience if the setting is MUCH HIGHER than it should be it will make getting a clean shot harder than no SR.

Wll - I hope this is interesting to you otherwise sorry for jumping your thread.
Quite all right as I use zooms also. So on a zoom maybe a midway set would be the best compromise unless you are using it at full length and reset it for that ?

wll
06-24-2009, 06:53 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
So on a zoom maybe a midway set would be the best compromise unless you are using it at full length and reset it for that ?

wll

Steelski [above] is quoting a previous source that we should use the Min instead of the midway. It makes some sense as I have tried to use SR with the number set far too large and it was impossible to get a jitter free shot.

06-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I had this problem too with manual zooms.
I think the minimum setting is quite acceptable not unless you have a manual zoom that ranges from 28-300mm.
I believe for longer zooms, a bit closer to the negative median is my guess.
06-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #10
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hay guys,

Thanks for the info, very helpful

wll
06-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I had this problem too with manual zooms.
I think the minimum setting is quite acceptable not unless you have a manual zoom that ranges from 28-300mm.
I believe for longer zooms, a bit closer to the negative median is my guess.
I have a couple of manual zooms, and I've found the best response is by setting the focal length close to minimal. For instance, on my 70-210 I set it to 100 or 120 depending on light (120 low light, 100 normal/sun). Same with my 35-105 (70 low light, 50 normal/sun)

NaCl(I haven't had any problems with setting too high yet)H2O