Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2009, 10:00 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Hmm, to get histogram to show automatically during preview I need to set Preview display > Histogram under the Playback menu. If I select histogram to be previewed, then everytime I use DOF preview there will be a histogram and I don't want that... are we talking about the same thing here?

I know I can check my histogram using the info button during preview mode, but I want the histogram to be displayed during instant preview.
I was brief, and too much so. You can have the histogram during instant preview (which I never use, btw) using the settings in the menus. It's either on or off.

I use the preview button to light up the LCD - I do not use the show-me-as-soon-as-I-take-a-shot preview. I find it just wastes battery power to no use.

Rather than always the histogram, I turn on the highlight/shadow warnings. If they indicate a problem, then a couple of presses on the [Info] button will bring up the histograms.

I do notice that I can turn the "blinkies" on for instant preview if I wish, in my Custom menu. I suspect that it is available to you as well. Perhaps that would resolve your dilemma.

06-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
But it does, well sort of.
Snap off a preview, adjust exposure according to histogram and your set.
Another +1 for Pentax. People have said "Just take a pic" already in this thread. Having started with a Canon, so much time is saved by not taking 2-10(?) pics of the same thing.

(10 shots could be from flash experimentation. I know I've used that many to set up exposure, position, etc)
06-27-2009, 06:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I certainly think the digital preview has it's uses, but it does not replace the optical DOF preview, especially in images where DOF is critical. For instance in close up and macro work.

In fact, I think we lost something when the aperture ring disappeared. You used to be able to hold the DOF lever down and turn the aperture ring to see the change. Now you must set an aperture, then activate the DOF preview, if you wish to check DOF at a different aperture, you must release the DOF preview, change to the new aperture then activate the DOF again. It was much easier to judge the difference between settings when you could see the DOF change as a continuum as opposed to discreet settings.
06-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I'm only up to IMGP52xx but my shutter count tells a different story. Love the digital preview
So, number in file name is more important to you than resource of your camera shutter?

For every picture you take with digital DOF preview, you are firing one additional shot.

06-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
So, number in file name is more important to you than resource of your camera shutter?

For every picture you take with digital DOF preview, you are firing one additional shot.
Are you asking if I'm scared of wearing out the shutter? No, I don't care about that. Even if it fails at 50,000 shots ("rated" at 100,000), that will still be 4 more years down the road.

If it fails today, I got my use out of this camera and I would be mad, but not necessarily vengeful against Pentax. Shit happens, electronics aren't infallible just because they're expensive. Bought it in late 07/early 08, so it works out to about $30 per month. My phone bill is exactly double.
07-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #21
Inactive Account

K20D DOF Optical preview.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something here:

K20D manual:
p115
1. position the subject inside the AF frame and press the shutter release button halfway to focus on the subject
2. turn the main switch to "the DOF preview/liveview symbol" while looking through the viewfinder. You can check the depth of field in the viewfinder while the main switch is on "the DOF preview/liveview symbol"

When I follow these instructions it simply switches to Liveview and doesn't give me an optical preview.

I want the optical preview, not the liveview - how do I do this? On my K10D it was easy, just move the switch and voila it stopped down, but with the K20 it just goes into liveview.
07-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
K20D DOF Optical preview.

......I want the optical preview, not the liveview - how do I do this? On my K10D it was easy, just move the switch and voila it stopped down, but with the K20 it just goes into liveview.
Go to page 113 of the K20D manual.

Set in [30. Preview Method] in the [A Custom Setting] menu.
1. Live View (default)
2. Optical Preview - same method as with the K10D
3. Digital Preview - same method as with the K10D

07-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I really dont see the difference between digital preview and taking a picture, then deleting it.
I've always thought the same thing.
07-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I suppose if you're doing macro work and doing *lots* of previews for each shot, the digital preview would be useful. But for my kind of use - lots of shooting, only occasional DOF previews - it indeed makes little sense. The difference betwene digital preview and shooting/deleting is trivial. But an optical DOF preview - including the display of the meter with manual lenses - is like nothing else; if that's what you want, there is no other way to get anything close.
07-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is improved on the K-7 due to the new Liveview and Video mode.

Put the camera in Video Mode, LV kicks in. Now when you change aperture you see the effect live on your screen. You can do it too in LV mode but you are then required to use the DOF lever.
07-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Go to page 113 of the K20D manual.

Set in [30. Preview Method] in the [A Custom Setting] menu.
1. Live View (default)
2. Optical Preview - same method as with the K10D
3. Digital Preview - same method as with the K10D
Awesome, thanks. I just looked in the index, and it sent me to Page 115. Even if I looked at page 114 (which faces 115) it only gives instructions on displaying the live view. I wish it had mentioned that the default setting is liveview for the main switch.

Again, much appreciated.
07-16-2009, 11:01 AM   #27

Digital Preview ...

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I really dont see the difference between digital preview and taking a picture, then deleting it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
A couple of button presses? Not forgetting to delete it and filling up your card?
I dont want automatic image preview after every shot, so to get a check on my metering, I would have to take the picture and then hit play to review it... On my K100D this feels a lot slower than just pulling the preview. Also, I *think* that the camera will not return to record mode until its done displaying the image. Whereas the preview is cancelled instantly on half-press of the shutter.

Havent done any measurements, but it seems like if I do much deleting in camera, I burn through the batteries, while I can digital preview all day and never notice the batteries draining.