Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2009, 02:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Dust on viewfinder

Hi everyone,

As I've changing the lenses quite often, some dusts went inside the camera. I tried to clean it with the blower and lens cleaning pen. When I look through the viewfinder I can still see two or three small black dots, even though I've cleaned the mirror and I'm pretty sure the sensor is clean.

Any suggestions please? Thanks! By the way, my camera is K20D.

06-24-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Probably dust between the focus screen and prism. If you are the careful, yet daring type, you can remove the prism (leave it in the holder, but drop the holder down) and blow on the prism and the focus screen.
06-24-2009, 03:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Probably dust between the focus screen and prism. If you are the careful, yet daring type, you can remove the prism (leave it in the holder, but drop the holder down) and blow on the prism and the focus screen.
I hope you mean remove the focusing screen.

EDIT: To the original poster: you may end up with more dust and scratches on the focusing screen, if you remove it. First, try blowing on it without removing it.
06-24-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Removing the focus screen on a K10/K20

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
I hope you mean remove the focusing screen.

EDIT: To the original poster: you may end up with more dust and scratches on the focusing screen, if you remove it. First, try blowing on it without removing it.
Removing the focus screen is not difficult, however I would suggest the you wear a pair of either vinyl or nitrile gloves to prevent finger printing the focus screen. I also suggest the you put the gloves on and wash them with dish detergent to remove any oil that might be on them from manufacture.

Using a small jeweler's flat bladed screw driver, gently pry open the small metal catch that holds the hinged frame that holds the focus screen. If you have a tweezers, grasp the little tab that protrudes from the right front side of the focus screen, and remove the focus screen. Grasp the focus screen with your gloved fingers by each edge. Try not to touch either face of the screen.

Using a good squeeze bulb, blast some air against both sides of the focus screen. Hold it up to the light and examine it very closely for any remaining dust particles. If you are satisfied that it is clean, set it aside and blast some air from the bulb into the cavity where the prism is. Blast directly at the prism. Look through the viewfinder and examine the prism for dust. If none is seen, using the tweezers replace the focus screen back into the frame, insuring that the tab is on the right front side of the frame.

Gently shake the camera slightly to insure that the screen is properly seated in the frame. Then with your gloved finger, gently push the frame and focus screen back up into the latched position. You should hear an audible "click" when the frame locks shut. Good luck. I've done this process several times with my K10, both removing and replacing a split prism screen and reinstalling the stock prism. Removing and cleaning the stock screen. If you are careful you should be able to do it OK.

jimH

06-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter

My advice is to simply get used to it...

Use a strong blower (manual, not canned air), but avoid messing with the screen any more than you absolutely have to. Chances are you will end up with more crud than you started with if you start trying to get everything immaculate.

Steve

(Speaking from experience...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-24-2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Corrected typo...
06-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks very much for everyone's reply. I don't think I would mess around the screen or prism straightaway. I'll start with Steve's suggestion and see how it goes.
06-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I used to have some crud in my finder and didn't worry about it, but then I recently swapped in a split screen and it was really easy.

I used the instructions on the Katz-eye web site, which suggested putting a lens cloth over the mirror when you open the door for the screen--probably a good idea!

I didn't have any of the proper tools, but I used my wife's tweezers and put tape over the ends so they wouldn't scratch anything.

I put it off for ages because I didn't want to mess anything up, but then was glad I did it.
06-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I used to have some crud in my finder and didn't worry about it, but then I recently swapped in a split screen and it was really easy.

I used the instructions on the Katz-eye web site, which suggested putting a lens cloth over the mirror when you open the door for the screen--probably a good idea!

I didn't have any of the proper tools, but I used my wife's tweezers and put tape over the ends so they wouldn't scratch anything.

I put it off for ages because I didn't want to mess anything up, but then was glad I did it.
This is off topic, but farfisa, how did the Katz-eye split screen work out for you and which camera do you have? I tried the Chinese screen and wasn't satisfied. I'd appreciate your honest opinion. Thanks

jimH

06-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FengyBoy Quote
Hi everyone,

As I've changing the lenses quite often, some dusts went inside the camera. I tried to clean it with the blower and lens cleaning pen. When I look through the viewfinder I can still see two or three small black dots, even though I've cleaned the mirror and I'm pretty sure the sensor is clean.

Any suggestions please? Thanks! By the way, my camera is K20D.
IMO you have a 90% chance of the dust being on the focus screen, maybe the bottom where you can see the screen above the mirror and reach with a blower, or on top where you will have to take it out to clean. Dust does not show up on the mirror or other places unless its huge, the focus screen is the number one place for dust to be seen. I very gently blow the bottom of my screen, blowing to much or hard in frustration will just lead to more dust. There is a video on uTube on taking out the focus screen, just do a search on "changing focus screen Pentax K10" and you will find it.

The screen is a very soft material, and the top is finely etched with almost microscopic groves, dust can get stuck in those groves and blowing will not remove it. Visible Dust makes wet swabs to clean it, and sells a brush to clean the focus screen that attach's to their Arctic Butterfly. I have used the brush with success, but your looking at over $100, the wet swabs are much cheaper if you just want to clean the focus screen. But still a little expensive for some small dust spots, that will just be their again, in time. And even though you will have more swabs there is a problem, read on.

IMO do try blowing the bottom a bit (above the mirror), then try removing it and blowing it, if this does not work stop!!!! Live with the dust until you buy something made to clean it. That way if you can't live with dust in your OVF, you will have a tool to clean it. But be warned taking it out all the time, one day you will scratch the screen. So far I have been lucky with my K20D and the dust spots I have seen I blew away with soft puffs of air on the bottom of the screen. No dust on top yet (tap on wood). Now when you scratch it you will want to buy a new one, as even a very small hard to see scratch is big in the OVF, you probably can't even see the dust on the screen now and this makes you think its someplace else, its not, its on the screen Good luck
06-24-2009, 10:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

its not an SLR if it doesn't have crud in the viewfinder.