Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2010, 09:14 AM   #526
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
John Bee: I fully agree(I too shoot RAW exclusively), though I've found that auto or PP WB to be surprisingly frustrating. Which didn't really come-up until I started shooting with a laptop at my side... and boy... was I ever wrong! The fact is(in my case) that not only would my WB be far out in the field but also that the colors(explicitly reds) were nowhere near that of my original compositions.

So now... with every lens capped, I carry a color calibration card everywhere I go.
And though that may sound like a hassle(it's not really), it has completely transformed my outlook on WB and color calibration.

For what it's worth, the caps were cheap(3 - 6.00 a piece), and the true color card was something like 19.00. Which is really good considering what it used to cost( 39.00 per cap and 150+.00 for a McBeth color checker card a few years ago)

Hope this helps
Yes, I agree again with your insight. In fact, I used to have problems, even with RAW, when trying to recover WB & correct colors. I learned that some soft ware is much better than others for this purpose. I have now rested in a soft ware which allows me to accurately get WB & color from a RAW file.

However, before this realization, I too was calculating WB for specific shoots. with a white card. Now I no longer have to do this.

04-25-2010, 11:46 AM   #527
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I have now rested in a soft ware which allows me to accurately get WB & color from a RAW file.
That sounds interesting, would you mind sharing the name of that software?
I would like to test it against my current calibration methods and see if perhaps I might simplify my workflow as well...

Though I am skeptical with color balance though since camera sensors are not often good at reproducing specific colors.
04-25-2010, 02:22 PM   #528
Forum Member

Here's two that I took last night at Santa Cruz, CA.

100% crop.

ISO 800 K-7 + 50mm f/1.4. Hand-held 1/15s

100% crop

Last edited by mapleneckblues; 04-25-2010 at 02:46 PM.
04-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #529
Pentaxian

K20D with the sears 28F/2.8 @ iso 1600 Jpegs resized and cropped only.
Some shadow noise but not too bad. I could have used noise ninja to clean them up I suppose, but I rather like the K20D noise as it gives street pics that dirty gritty look to them.

And here is one at ISO 3200

04-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #530
Veteran Member

When it comes to high iso image, the lowly DL or the base sensor is really outstanding

From FA135mm at iso 1600

If you feel like counting hair or noise pixel go for this

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/71445971/original.jpg

Daniel
04-25-2010, 05:20 PM   #531
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
John Bee: That sounds interesting, would you mind sharing the name of that software?
I would like to test it against my current calibration methods and see if perhaps I might simplify my workflow as well...

Though I am skeptical with color balance though since camera sensors are not often good at reproducing specific colors.
Sure, it is with the Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 that I finally found success. It is not too expensive either, available for $80 on a sale day, perhaps even better now.

Yes again--colors can be problematic for cameras, particularly reds. But, with AE8, and with the free Helicon Filter soiftware, I am able to do whatever I wish with colors.

BTW, there are times when I m not interested in color accuracy, but am more interested in creating colors which I feel best highlight the shot. So it is rare I use the camera's given colors, even if they are spot on.
04-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #532
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Danielchtong: When it comes to high iso image, the lowly DL or the base sensor is really outstanding

From FA135mm at iso 1600
Yes, I have heard this about the DL, but seeing is believing. Thanks for this very nice contribution. BTW, where you been--long time no see--great to have you back posting here @ Pentax forums.
04-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #533
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
jgredline: K20D with the sears 28F/2.8 @ iso 1600 Jpegs resized and cropped only.
Some shadow noise but not too bad. I could have used noise ninja to clean them up I suppose, but I rather like the K20D noise as it gives street pics that dirty gritty look to them.
Simply great colors and IQ Jarvier! BTW, do you know any of these "Famous Dancers" who are advertised in your 2nd shot.

04-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #534
Pentaxian

Simply great colors and IQ Jarvier! BTW, do you know any of these "Famous Dancers" who are advertised in your 2nd shot.
Thanks. In truth, I have never even been in that type of place.
04-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #535
Veteran Member

Yes, I have heard this about the DL, but seeing is believing. Thanks for this very nice contribution. BTW, where you been--long time no see--great to have you back posting here @ Pentax forums.
Thanks. I was in a trip to HK and China until earlier this month. I did post a couple of images here and there of my trip. Life is back to normal now

Daniel
04-26-2010, 07:59 AM   #536
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
K20D with the sears 28F/2.8 @ iso 1600 Jpegs resized and cropped only.
Just curious - is that first image more heavily processed (like a large exposure push, or even added noise). It certainly does look "gritty"- considerably more so than I'd expect for ISO 1600. In fact, it looks "grittier" than the ISO 3200 shot to me. The other ISO 1600 shots look much more like what I'd expect.
04-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #537
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
jgredline: Thanks. In truth, I have never even been in that type of place.
Let me translate this one for Jarvier--it would go something like this (from google translate).

In truth, the little lady monitors Pentax Forums. LOL
04-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #538
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Danielchtong: Thanks. I was in a trip to HK and China until earlier this month. I did post a couple of images here and there of my trip. Life is back to normal now

Daniel
Cool--can you post the links to these? Thanks.
04-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #539
Veteran Member

Cool--can you post the links to these? Thanks.
I did quite a few in fact

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/96299-architecture-tulou...men-china.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/94571-nature-snowy-egret...f-da200mm.html
04-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #540
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Just curious - is that first image more heavily processed (like a large exposure push, or even added noise). It certainly does look "gritty"- considerably more so than I'd expect for ISO 1600. In fact, it looks "grittier" than the ISO 3200 shot to me. The other ISO 1600 shots look much more like what I'd expect.
Marc, The only PP i do is what comes out of the camera. The reason that picture looks super gritty is because it was too dark for ISO 1600 when I took it. Should have been at 2500-3200. I was going to delete that image, but it grew on me, more so because I know the conditions. Infact that sears lens tends to over expose by a full stop compared to my other lenses and so for it to be at +.3EV is really more like +1.3-1.5EV

So gritty and ugly and nothing special would be correct, but considering the conditions, the K20D did pretty good. Atleast you can see a picture