Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #676
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
It was beta, now it's official.
The product section still advertises it as v4, but when you download the trial it will default to v5.

Topaz Labs - Downloads
Yep, just did it and it was free. What a concept. Adobe should get a clue.

08-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #677
Pentaxian

Another ISO6400 snap

This one was taken in part of a high ISO case study I've been working on. It was initially processed with Denoise v4, however since v5 came out, I decided to run it through with the new engine. TBH. I don't really know how much difference this made with regards to final IQ, though the black adjustment controller was very helpful in processing in contrast the previous version.

The image was shot to extract as much of the K20D's RAW file data as possible. This consisted of a back-lit scene, shadow recovery(detail), foreground illumination and low lighting at ISO6400.

K20D, ISO6400, 1/30s, f/3.0, 28mm.

Right click to view image full size

PS. When I asked my daughters to make peace signs, the younger of the two had no clue what a piece sign was(lol). So she instinctively reverted to the old telephone gesture.

~The end
08-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #678
Pentaxian

A few more snaps from the ISO6400 DR case study...
QuoteQuote:
I'm still pushing that K20D ISO6400 DR btw...

Background and shadow detail with forward light source(low light scene)

Another shadow detail DR test scene.

Highlight management and subject detail.

I'd just like to take this opportunity(once again...) to say that the the K20D can hold it's own against the competition!

~the end
08-02-2010, 09:58 PM   #679
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote

PS. When I asked my daughters to make peace signs, the younger of the two had no clue what a piece sign was(lol). So she instinctively reverted to the old telephone gesture.

~The end
Or maybe it's the "hang loose" symbol....

Nice photos by the way.

08-04-2010, 06:48 AM   #680
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob photo 4 life Quote
Or maybe it's the "hang loose" symbol....

Nice photos by the way.
HAHA! you never know... she may have picked-it up on TV.
And thanks for the compliment on the photo's. For what it's worth, I had a chance to tune Denoise 5 a little more last night and I think I've managed to improve output a little more.

Two more ISO6400 images, taken in extreme low light(total darkness) other than the single candle(shown in image).

K20D, ISO6400, 1/4s, f/1.8

K20D, ISO6400, 1/10s, f/2.0
08-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #681
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You know, this kind of unfair, John :-). Until you started posting these ISO6400 images processed with LR3 and then with Topaz DeNoise, I was pretty content looking at this thread and thinking, there's really not much difference at all between noise levels in any of these shots from different cameras or different software. But these are really taking things to a new level. Too bad it looks like Topaz DeNoise is not available in standalone form.
08-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #682
Pentaxian

Thank you for the comments on my concert photos. The KX surprises me every time I use it.

JohnBee - Wonderful candlelight shots. The emotion and detail are fabulous.
08-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #683
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
But these are really taking things to a new level. Too bad it looks like Topaz DeNoise is not available in standalone form.
Wouldn't that be nice?

I really need to check and see if elements has ACR and plugin compatibility...

08-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #684
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
...I really need to check and see if elements has ACR and plugin compatibility...
Elements 8 sure does have ACR compatibility and works with PS plugins too - eg I have the Focus Magic PS plugin working on it just fine. Elements 8 integrates very tightly with LR3 now as well.
08-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #685
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DeNoise works with Elements and LR, as well as any other program that can use photoshop plug-ins...... Which is most of them.
08-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #686
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Elements 8 sure does have ACR compatibility and works with PS plugins too - eg I have the Focus Magic PS plugin working on it just fine. Elements 8 integrates very tightly with LR3 now as well.
Well my main issue is that after getting hooked on LR3 (through the beta) I currently can't afford the full version. The ACR 6 engine in LR3 was really the most important aspect to me, and I can't find any info on Elements 8 (which I can afford) using ACR 6... just up to 5.6. Anyone using Elements with ACR 6?
08-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #687
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No noise reduction applied (in-camera JPEG), ISO 6400 with a K-x.
(I downloaded and tried DeNoise, all 4 different modes, and didn't think that any of them improved the noise on this shot at all.)

08-06-2010, 09:10 PM   #688
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
No noise reduction applied (in-camera JPEG), ISO 6400 with a K-x.
(I downloaded and tried DeNoise, all 4 different modes, and didn't think that any of them improved the noise on this shot at all.)
Given the size of the image, its a hard to make an assessment, but perhaps we could work out a better workflow(and results) by first going through the steps you took to process this particular image.

Also... would it be possible to look at the original file?
it might help in determining a better approach with regards to the type of noise and artifacts in the image.
08-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #689
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I appreciate that you've got a product to sell, but it was my impression that High ISO Gallery was a thread for images created with Pentax DSLRs. I was under the impression that post-processing techniques and tools were for another part of the forum.
08-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #690
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
I appreciate that you've got a product to sell, but it was my impression that High ISO Gallery was a thread for images created with Pentax DSLRs. I was under the impression that post-processing techniques and tools were for another part of the forum.
First off I'm not selling anything... Secondly, if you feel that strongly about the nature of "your own questions" then you should ask to have it moved to a more appropriate forum...