Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #751
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 273
JohnBee,
Thanks for the suggestions. Where in NoiseNinja I know what I am doing, in Topaz Denoise I was in experimentation mode trying various adjustments.

Eric

09-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #752
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,496
QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
JohnBee,
Thanks for the suggestions. Where in NoiseNinja I know what I am doing, in Topaz Denoise I was in experimentation mode trying various adjustments.

Eric
Your welcome,

On the issue of experimentation, thinking back, one way that really helped me get familiar with the software was to max out all the sliders. Then, starting with the highlight adjuster, I'd dial things down slider by slider and try and identify what effect each had on the noise with an image.

I ran your original(small sample) through TND5 locally and found that the shadow and highlight sliders were the most effective adjusters at dealing with the background noise. With these adjustements made, I was able to complete NR with an overall strength of about 24, which is fairly good on the detail index.

Another note was where Denoise defaults the Current Black Lever slider at 1, when it should really be zero. Which is an option that should only be used to contend with magenta cast as a result of overexposed shadow recovery.

Also... depending on the severity of image noise, it's often necessary to work on a layer and mask some of the original image back into your final image. In this case, I think the center of the flowers have highlight details that are quite important to the image. Therefore, I'd quickmask(40% perhaps) some of the original detail that back into final scene.

PS.
don't forget to diffuse scene with a little image grain(20-35), Otherwise... you'll end-up with color blotching and pattern gradients.
09-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #753
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Your welcome,

On the issue of experimentation, thinking back, one way that really helped me get familiar with the software was to max out all the sliders. Then, starting with the highlight adjuster, I'd dial things down slider by slider and try and identify what effect each had on the noise with an image.

I ran your original(small sample) through TND5 locally and found that the shadow and highlight sliders were the most effective adjusters at dealing with the background noise. With these adjustements made, I was able to complete NR with an overall strength of about 24, which is fairly good on the detail index.

Another note was where Denoise defaults the Current Black Lever slider at 1, when it should really be zero. Which is an option that should only be used to contend with magenta cast as a result of overexposed shadow recovery.

Also... depending on the severity of image noise, it's often necessary to work on a layer and mask some of the original image back into your final image. In this case, I think the center of the flowers have highlight details that are quite important to the image. Therefore, I'd quickmask(40% perhaps) some of the original detail that back into final scene.

PS.
don't forget to diffuse scene with a little image grain(20-35), Otherwise... you'll end-up with color blotching and pattern gradients.
can you show the result of that, JB ?
09-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #754
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,496
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
can you show the result of that, JB ?
Something like this(ignoring JPG artifacts). The image is small, and I didn't perform any debanding(though some is present) so this doesn't really reflect RW conditions.
However this should suffice to give an idea of what can be expected. An image like this should be do'able in less than 5 using TDN and PS CS5.


Most of the critical adjustments were made with the Adjust shadow slider. The strength slider was just a hair under 20 points.
Which is what you want to aim for with TDN. Low overall strength w/higher select NR

JB


Last edited by JohnBee; 09-08-2010 at 10:02 PM.
09-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #755
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Something like this(ignoring JPG artifacts). The image is small, and I didn't perform any debanding(though some is present) so this doesn't really reflect RW conditions.
However this should suffice to give an idea of what can be expected. An image like this should be do'able in less than 5 using TDN and PS CS5.


Most of the critical adjustments were made with the Adjust shadow slider. The strength slider was just a hair under 20 points.
Which is what you want to aim for with TDN. Low overall strength w/higher select NR

JB
thanks JB, this is better than NoiseNinja IMO. honestly, no offense but I wasn't really impressed by NoiseNinja from the beginning.
09-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #756
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,496
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
thanks JB, this is better than NoiseNinja IMO. honestly, no offense but I wasn't really impressed by NoiseNinja from the beginning.
I agree, and we can be confident that the original would respond much better than this small sample. On the issue of NNinja, I don't think anyone should be offended. After all, these are all merely software. In all fairness, all wavelet based NR software are seem to of reached maturity in terms of effectiveness. And Denoise is one of the first of a new breed of noise removal technology to hit the market. There's no doubt others will soon follow and even(hopefully) exceed what were seeing here. Though this really does seem to be the best at this time.

It will be really exciting to see how this technology works with the new high ISO files from the Pentax's latest this year.
09-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #757
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: south east queensland, Australia.
Posts: 37
heres my Bent offering as a high ISO picture......Australian Army Blackhawk on dusk under an overcast sky..

Lens: Tokina SZ-X 60-300mm manual focus
Aperture: F5.0
Exposure: 1/320th of a second.
ISO: 3200



While not technically perfect, to me its got a certain "atmosphere" to it..
09-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #758
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 550
K-7 and ISO 6400

Name:  K-7 ISO 6400 My Son-1.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  197.9 KB

09-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #759
Senior Member
noVICE's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 165
I thought I might give high ISO a go...
K7 + Pentax 55-300mm
ISO 3200
Exposure: 1/15" Aperture F7.1

09-14-2010, 03:49 AM   #760
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: south east queensland, Australia.
Posts: 37
noVICE..were you at Riverfire also?.. i like the shot by the way!
09-14-2010, 03:50 AM   #761
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,496
QuoteOriginally posted by ferals_m38 Quote
noVICE..were you at Riverfire also?.. i like the shot by the way!
I agree!
Very cinematic!
09-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #762
Senior Member
noVICE's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 165
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
@ ferals: Yeah, helicopters, jets and fireworks.... how can you pass that up?
09-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #763
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 550
QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
K-7 and ISO 6400

Attachment 70321

How about my picture? What do you think?
09-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #764
Senior Member
noVICE's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 165
QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
How about my picture? What do you think?
Considering the ISO, I am surprised with the overall quality of the shot. What NR software did you use?
09-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #765
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 550
nothing software.
Just use Flash.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dolphin, dslr, flickr, gallery, iso, photography, post
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to post high resolution photo here? Underbridge Pentax Medium Format 5 12-25-2012 08:56 PM
People K-5 high ISO... how high can we really go... igor Post Your Photos! 2 03-24-2012 01:10 AM
Is there a high iso gallery for K-7? justtakingpics Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 05-31-2010 05:32 PM
K-7 high ISO vs K20D high ISO supa007 Pentax DSLR Discussion 72 05-10-2010 04:24 PM
Pentax k20d High ISO Photo Gallery PentaxPoke Pentax DSLR Discussion 68 02-18-2009 05:19 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:57 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top