Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2010, 07:53 PM   #751
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
JohnBee,
Thanks for the suggestions. Where in NoiseNinja I know what I am doing, in Topaz Denoise I was in experimentation mode trying various adjustments.

Eric

09-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #752
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
JohnBee,
Thanks for the suggestions. Where in NoiseNinja I know what I am doing, in Topaz Denoise I was in experimentation mode trying various adjustments.

Eric
Your welcome,

On the issue of experimentation, thinking back, one way that really helped me get familiar with the software was to max out all the sliders. Then, starting with the highlight adjuster, I'd dial things down slider by slider and try and identify what effect each had on the noise with an image.

I ran your original(small sample) through TND5 locally and found that the shadow and highlight sliders were the most effective adjusters at dealing with the background noise. With these adjustements made, I was able to complete NR with an overall strength of about 24, which is fairly good on the detail index.

Another note was where Denoise defaults the Current Black Lever slider at 1, when it should really be zero. Which is an option that should only be used to contend with magenta cast as a result of overexposed shadow recovery.

Also... depending on the severity of image noise, it's often necessary to work on a layer and mask some of the original image back into your final image. In this case, I think the center of the flowers have highlight details that are quite important to the image. Therefore, I'd quickmask(40% perhaps) some of the original detail that back into final scene.

PS.
don't forget to diffuse scene with a little image grain(20-35), Otherwise... you'll end-up with color blotching and pattern gradients.
09-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #753
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Your welcome,

On the issue of experimentation, thinking back, one way that really helped me get familiar with the software was to max out all the sliders. Then, starting with the highlight adjuster, I'd dial things down slider by slider and try and identify what effect each had on the noise with an image.

I ran your original(small sample) through TND5 locally and found that the shadow and highlight sliders were the most effective adjusters at dealing with the background noise. With these adjustements made, I was able to complete NR with an overall strength of about 24, which is fairly good on the detail index.

Another note was where Denoise defaults the Current Black Lever slider at 1, when it should really be zero. Which is an option that should only be used to contend with magenta cast as a result of overexposed shadow recovery.

Also... depending on the severity of image noise, it's often necessary to work on a layer and mask some of the original image back into your final image. In this case, I think the center of the flowers have highlight details that are quite important to the image. Therefore, I'd quickmask(40% perhaps) some of the original detail that back into final scene.

PS.
don't forget to diffuse scene with a little image grain(20-35), Otherwise... you'll end-up with color blotching and pattern gradients.
can you show the result of that, JB ?
09-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #754
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
can you show the result of that, JB ?
Something like this(ignoring JPG artifacts). The image is small, and I didn't perform any debanding(though some is present) so this doesn't really reflect RW conditions.
However this should suffice to give an idea of what can be expected. An image like this should be do'able in less than 5 using TDN and PS CS5.

Most of the critical adjustments were made with the Adjust shadow slider. The strength slider was just a hair under 20 points.
Which is what you want to aim for with TDN. Low overall strength w/higher select NR

JB

Last edited by JohnBee; 09-08-2010 at 10:02 PM.
09-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #755
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Something like this(ignoring JPG artifacts). The image is small, and I didn't perform any debanding(though some is present) so this doesn't really reflect RW conditions.
However this should suffice to give an idea of what can be expected. An image like this should be do'able in less than 5 using TDN and PS CS5.

Most of the critical adjustments were made with the Adjust shadow slider. The strength slider was just a hair under 20 points.
Which is what you want to aim for with TDN. Low overall strength w/higher select NR

JB
thanks JB, this is better than NoiseNinja IMO. honestly, no offense but I wasn't really impressed by NoiseNinja from the beginning.
09-08-2010, 11:19 PM   #756
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
thanks JB, this is better than NoiseNinja IMO. honestly, no offense but I wasn't really impressed by NoiseNinja from the beginning.
I agree, and we can be confident that the original would respond much better than this small sample. On the issue of NNinja, I don't think anyone should be offended. After all, these are all merely software. In all fairness, all wavelet based NR software are seem to of reached maturity in terms of effectiveness. And Denoise is one of the first of a new breed of noise removal technology to hit the market. There's no doubt others will soon follow and even(hopefully) exceed what were seeing here. Though this really does seem to be the best at this time.

It will be really exciting to see how this technology works with the new high ISO files from the Pentax's latest this year.
09-09-2010, 12:52 AM   #757

heres my Bent offering as a high ISO picture......Australian Army Blackhawk on dusk under an overcast sky..

Lens: Tokina SZ-X 60-300mm manual focus
Aperture: F5.0
Exposure: 1/320th of a second.
ISO: 3200

While not technically perfect, to me its got a certain "atmosphere" to it..

09-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #758
Veteran Member

K-7 and ISO 6400

Name:  K-7 ISO 6400 My Son-1.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  197.9 KB
09-12-2010, 07:27 AM   #759

I thought I might give high ISO a go...
K7 + Pentax 55-300mm
ISO 3200
Exposure: 1/15" Aperture F7.1

09-14-2010, 03:49 AM   #760

noVICE..were you at Riverfire also?.. i like the shot by the way!
09-14-2010, 03:50 AM   #761
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ferals_m38 Quote
noVICE..were you at Riverfire also?.. i like the shot by the way!
I agree!
Very cinematic!
09-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #762

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.
@ ferals: Yeah, helicopters, jets and fireworks.... how can you pass that up?
09-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #763
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
K-7 and ISO 6400

Attachment 70321

How about my picture? What do you think?
09-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #764

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
How about my picture? What do you think?
Considering the ISO, I am surprised with the overall quality of the shot. What NR software did you use?
09-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #765
Veteran Member

nothing software.
Just use Flash.