Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #901
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,957
Isn't the issue mainly a question of exposure? I think the K5 and to a lesser extent the Kx and Kr are more tolerant of under exposure than the K20 and K7 were in the past. If you expose 12800 well on the Kx, it probably doesn't look too bad, at least at web sizes. The problem is if you miss your exposure at all, then you end up pushing a photo that has already essentially been pushed one stop and the result is not so great.

Even with the K7, iso 1600 and 3200 are decent as long as you don't under expose. The problem is the camera tends to under expose and then your photo ends up basically unusable.

03-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #902
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,812
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Isn't the issue mainly a question of exposure? I think the K5 and to a lesser extent the Kx and Kr are more tolerant of under exposure than the K20 and K7 were in the past. If you expose 12800 well on the Kx, it probably doesn't look too bad, at least at web sizes. The problem is if you miss your exposure at all, then you end up pushing a photo that has already essentially been pushed one stop and the result is not so great.
This is a very good point - I am of the school that believes in the best/most optimum exposure for the main/most important part of the image - eg: the face or whatever is the most important part of the picture
- as opposed to exposing to the left or right.

I have used the zone system and have old prints that utilize this at the taking and the printing (dodging/burning) stage.

So I tend to expose for the important part of the image and leave the rest to latitude - I adjust when my chimping shows me that the exposure was not right overall - of course sometimes there is no repeat chance of that, and one has to live with whatever exposure one gets - but doing the "best" expoure for the main/most important part of the image means normally I have less salvaging and pp to do.

This is the reason why I said -
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
However looking at those dpReview comparisons - gives me a little hope that perhaps it's me rather than the equipment that may have a failing........
03-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #903
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
I wouldn't bother comparing images of any ISO unless they were adequately exposed (at least within half a stop either way with some brightness and contrast adjustment from RAW), and the previously posted images are no exception. Underexposure would have greatly degraded those ISO 12800 and 25600 images and would not have been exemplary of what the K-5 can do at those sensitivities.

The essence of the images posted here is what each Pentax dSLR can do without the extraordinary measures of NR we can magically do in PP. And I think the K-5 excels in that regard.

ISO 6400 on K-5, no NR, no exposure or brightness adjustments in ACR:

Last edited by Ash; 03-31-2011 at 03:27 PM.
04-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #904
Junior Member
reddmutt1898's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gilmer,Texas.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 36

This shot of Eric Bloom was shot at 1600 iso,with available light. This was an outdoor stage in downtown Longview,Texas.

04-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #905
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,542
Pentax k10 and Pentax-F 70-210 @ 1250 ISO PP using Faststone...

Pretty happy with this result as well as other from the "Ringling Bros. Circus"

Details - Thanks, Rick
04-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #906
Veteran Member
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,531
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

The D7000 examples look like they've had significant sharpening added to them, which would be the same for all the Pentax dSLR samples if they'd been sharpened. I'm surprised the K-x's ISO 12800 came up so clean - I certainly haven't had that kind of success with my own.

.
This may be so, but not by me. Perhaps Nikon adds some to in camera pp. Those samples are straight Jpegs. I do not shoot RAW but I read that the D7000 RAW images are impressive to say the least. I have a D700 as well, and I bet the D7000 is only 1/2-2/3 of a stop behind.
04-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #907
Veteran Member
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,531
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I wouldn't bother comparing images of any ISO unless they were adequately exposed (at least within half a stop either way with some brightness and contrast adjustment from RAW), and the previously posted images are no exception. Underexposure would have greatly degraded those ISO 12800 and 25600 images and would not have been exemplary of what the K-5 can do at those sensitivities.

The essence of the images posted here is what each Pentax dSLR can do without the extraordinary measures of NR we can magically do in PP. And I think the K-5 excels in that regard.

ISO 6400 on K-5, no NR, no exposure or brightness adjustments in ACR:
I would be very interested to see the ''full size'' as shot image of this.
04-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #908
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
No worries Javier, but I'll limit it to a small 100% crop to save large downloads:

No sharpening or NR - as per above image:


It cleans up really nicely after a simple pass of NR with mild detail preservation.

04-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #909
Veteran Member
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,531
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
No worries Javier, but I'll limit it to a small 100% crop to save large downloads:

No sharpening or NR - as per above image:


It cleans up really nicely after a simple pass of NR with mild detail preservation.
Amazing ha. What these new cams are doing is nothing short of amazing.
04-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #910
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
It would have been even better if I'd not saved the original at quality level 8 and the crop sample at level 7...
04-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #911
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
ISO 6400 on the K-5 with the DA 55-300:

04-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #912
Pentaxian
Designosophy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast Philadelphia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,094
K-7, ISO 5000, Sigma 70-300 DG @300mm



Yes, I used noise reduction in RAW processing.

Last edited by Designosophy; 04-06-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Forgot to add...
04-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #913
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 246
Been a lurker here for a few months and finally decided to join. Just started exploring my interests for photography.

Here's a picture I took at a Neon Trees concert with my K-x. ISO 6400, 55-300 mm kit lens. Processed in Lightroom



ISO 3200
04-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #914
Veteran Member
yeatzee's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Temecula
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,675
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
K-7, ISO 5000, Sigma 70-300 DG @300mm



Yes, I used noise reduction in RAW processing.
I love the grain in this shot
04-09-2011, 06:16 AM   #915
Pentaxian
Designosophy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast Philadelphia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,094
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I love the grain in this shot
Thanks - there is something endearing about the K-7 noise. Sometimes it gives photos a painterly quality. I am torn between keeping the K-7 and selling it (and some audio equipment) to buy a K-5.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dolphin, dslr, flickr, gallery, iso, photography, post
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to post high resolution photo here? Underbridge Pentax Medium Format 5 12-25-2012 08:56 PM
People K-5 high ISO... how high can we really go... igor Post Your Photos! 2 03-24-2012 01:10 AM
Is there a high iso gallery for K-7? justtakingpics Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 05-31-2010 05:32 PM
K-7 high ISO vs K20D high ISO supa007 Pentax DSLR Discussion 72 05-10-2010 04:24 PM
Pentax k20d High ISO Photo Gallery PentaxPoke Pentax DSLR Discussion 68 02-18-2009 05:19 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:47 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top