Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 47 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #961
Veteran Member

K20, ISO 3200, FA35 at f2
Available light only. Handheld shots. Run through ACR and DeNoise
Apart from the ISO stuff it helps to have glass that does not fall apart wide open.

Last edited by wildman; 08-01-2011 at 01:57 AM.
07-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #962
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
K20, ISO 3200, FA35 at f2
Available light only. Handheld shots. Run through ACR and DeNoise
Apart from the ISO stuff it helps to have glass that does not fall apart wide open.
Quite impressive...
07-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #963
Veteran Member

ISO800 is hardly high these days but on the earlier models this was considered borderline high -
this was from my K100D - back in 2008 -

ISO800, f/5.6, 1/100; 55mm (on 18-55mm kit zoom)
This is a full page in "Atlanta's Finest" (paper) magazine Jul/Aug/2011 issue - (pdf of the magazine)

Of course these days I shoot a K-x and that allows me to use almost ridiculously high ISO - like:

ISO5000, f/4.5, 1/15; 38mm; -2/3 stop comp
NOTE: I've replaced this image - which hopefully does not show the processing so obviously.
Thanks to johnmflores for pointing this out to me (and to jstevewhite for the confirmation)

ISO5000, f/4.5, 1/25; 35mm; -1/3 stop comp

ISO4000, f/4.5, 1/200, 125mm

ISO5000, f/4.5, 1/125, 88mm

ISO5000, f/3.5, 1/25; 18mm

Last edited by UnknownVT; 07-27-2011 at 02:59 PM.
07-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #964
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
ISO800 is hardly high these days but on the earlier models this was considered borderline high -

This is a full page in "Atlanta's Finest" (paper) magazine Jul/Aug/2011 issue - (pdf of the magazine)

Of course these days I shoot a K-x and that allows me to use almost ridiculously high ISO - like:

ISO5000, f/4.5, 1/25; 35mm; -1/3 stop comp

ISO5000, f/4.5, 1/125, 88mm

ISO5000, f/3.5, 1/25; 18mm
These are very impressive, congrats on getting your snaps published!

07-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #965
Veteran Member

KX DA 12-24mm F4
ISO5000

07-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #966
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Congrats! Looks great!

There's an odd shaded band on this one?

Susan Tedeschi?
07-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #967
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
There's an odd shaded band on this one?
where please? - could be the difference between our monitors - I often see things on a friend's top of the line Mac LCD monitor - so I may be missing something you can see, and I can't on my olde CRT monitor - appreciate any help. Thanks

Susan Tedeschi?
yep -
and that's her husband - in the next shot

07-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #968
Veteran Member

where please? - could be the difference between our monitors - I often see things on a friend's top of the line Mac LCD monitor - so I may be missing something you can see, and I can't on my olde CRT monitor - appreciate any help. Thanks

yep -
and that's her husband - in the next shot
What I'm seeing is what looks like a semi-transparent mask across the face from the cheeks up to the bottom of the hat and extending back towards the back of the head. It looks to be about 80-100 pixels tall, about the size of a blindfold. At first I thought it was some odd artifact from a mask that you created in Photoshop or LR.

And I'm going to listen to some Susan Tedeschi now...I first saw her back in '93 when she looked like a sorority girl possessed by the blues! Don't know Derek Trucks that well - all I know is that I'm jealous!
07-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #969
Veteran Member

What I'm seeing is what looks like a semi-transparent mask across the face from the cheeks up to the bottom of the hat and extending back towards the back of the head. It looks to be about 80-100 pixels tall, about the size of a blindfold. At first I thought it was some odd artifact from a mask that you created in Photoshop or LR.
Got you thanks - that the select area and bring up the brightness/contrast that I did - cannot see the separation that you can on my monitor - but I had seen that kind of thing before on my friend's Mac monitor -

This makes it difficult to do my processing - the face was in extreme shadow basically looked black with very little visible feature - but bringing up the brightness makes the shot for me - didn't realize that it would look the way you described -

I wonder how many others see it that way and how many do not, please?

This may decide what direction I may have to take - like get another monitor, modify my processing and previewing on my friend's monitor before posting etc.

Would appreciate input from others on this one please?

And I'm going to listen to some Susan Tedeschi now...I first saw her back in '93 when she looked like a sorority girl possessed by the blues! Don't know Derek Trucks that well - all I know is that I'm jealous!
That's a really good description - I met her about the same time at a private party she talks quiet and almost demure, BUT when she sang I went holy-sh*t - unbelievable! where did she get that voice!?

You really should checkout their latest album Revelator.

They are playing the major venue this Saturday -
but I get only the first 3 songs from 100ft away.....
anyone wanna lend me a 500mm zoom lens?
07-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #970
Veteran Member

Got you thanks - that the select area and bring up the brightness/contrast that I did - cannot see the separation that you can on my monitor - but I had seen that kind of thing before on my friend's Mac monitor -

This makes it difficult to do my processing - the face was in extreme shadow basically looked black with very little visible feature - but bringing up the brightness makes the shot for me - didn't realize that it would look the way you described -

This may decide what direction I may have to take - like get another monitor, modify my processing and previewing on my friend's monitor before posting etc.

1. A good monitor is absolutely necessary, especially if your work gets published
2. I'd suggest a softer (feathered) brush for a softer transition between edited and unedited portions of the photo.
07-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #971
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I see it quite clearly as well, on my Macbook Pro and my Cinema Display.
07-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #972
Veteran Member

1. A good monitor is absolutely necessary, especially if your work gets published
2. I'd suggest a softer (feathered) brush for a softer transition between edited and unedited portions of the photo.
Thanks for the advice - feathered sounds theoretically better but from my experience with defined shadows like that photo, does not work - then even I can see it on my monitor - like I said I have an "olde fashioned" CRT monitor - those are hard to beat - more modest/cheaper LCD monitors can cause problems, it's not the resolution that everyone looks at - but the gamut display and contrast - often what suits text does not suit photos - I know my friend's Mac monitor is premium - but it is way out of whack - however it is useful for me to check for problems like that photo -

Like I asked are there others that see what you saw? -
if it's the majority then I'd switch monitors -

This photo is a good case as the adjustment was quite extreme - like I said I cannot see it on my monitor.

Thanks for the input - very grateful for it.

EDIT to ADD - just saw this:
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Thank you - that does it - I'll reprocess the photo and replace the photo posted -
would really appreciate if you can please comment on it to see if the processing is obvious.

Thanks.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 07-27-2011 at 02:48 PM.
07-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #973
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-5 at ISO 9000

ISO 4500

The bottleneck with the K-5 is the focusing system which hunts and front-focuses in low light situations. The sensor leaves little to be desired
07-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #974
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote

Thank you very much guys - I went back a reprocessed the photo -
which hopefully does not show that problem -
I've replaced the previous posted one with a note to that effect -
here is the latest - comments please?

NOTE: I've replaced this image - which hopefully does not show the processing so obviously.
Thanks to johnmflores for pointing this out to me (and to jstevewhite for the confirmation)
07-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #975
Veteran Member

Thank you very much guys - I went back a reprocessed the photo -
which hopefully does not show that problem -
I've replaced the previous posted one with a note to that effect -
here is the latest - comments please?

Much better. Just one problem remains - his trumpet's too small!