Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #961
Pentaxian
wildman's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Flyover America
Posts: 4,308
K20, ISO 3200, FA35 at f2
Available light only. Handheld shots. Run through ACR and DeNoise
Apart from the ISO stuff it helps to have glass that does not fall apart wide open.


Last edited by wildman; 08-01-2011 at 01:57 AM.
07-25-2011, 07:33 PM   #962
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,542
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
K20, ISO 3200, FA35 at f2
Available light only. Handheld shots. Run through ACR and DeNoise
Apart from the ISO stuff it helps to have glass that does not fall apart wide open.
Quite impressive...
07-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #963
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,812
ISO800 is hardly high these days but on the earlier models this was considered borderline high -
this was from my K100D - back in 2008 -

ISO800, f/5.6, 1/100; 55mm (on 18-55mm kit zoom)
This is a full page in "Atlanta's Finest" (paper) magazine Jul/Aug/2011 issue - (pdf of the magazine)

Of course these days I shoot a K-x and that allows me to use almost ridiculously high ISO - like:

ISO5000, f/4.5, 1/15; 38mm; -2/3 stop comp
NOTE: I've replaced this image - which hopefully does not show the processing so obviously.
Thanks to johnmflores for pointing this out to me (and to jstevewhite for the confirmation)


ISO5000, f/4.5, 1/25; 35mm; -1/3 stop comp


ISO4000, f/4.5, 1/200, 125mm


ISO5000, f/4.5, 1/125, 88mm


ISO5000, f/3.5, 1/25; 18mm

Last edited by UnknownVT; 07-27-2011 at 02:59 PM.
07-26-2011, 08:14 PM   #964
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Jose, California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 80
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
ISO800 is hardly high these days but on the earlier models this was considered borderline high -
this was from my K100D - back in 2008 -

ISO800, f/5.6, 1/100; 55mm (on 18-55mm kit zoom)
This is a full page in "Atlanta's Finest" (paper) magazine Jul/Aug/2011 issue - (pdf of the magazine)

Of course these days I shoot a K-x and that allows me to use almost ridiculously high ISO - like:

ISO5000, f/4.5, 1/15; 38mm; -2/3 stop comp


ISO5000, f/4.5, 1/25; 35mm; -1/3 stop comp


ISO4000, f/4.5, 1/200, 125mm


ISO5000, f/4.5, 1/125, 88mm


ISO5000, f/3.5, 1/25; 18mm
These are very impressive, congrats on getting your snaps published!

07-26-2011, 09:50 PM   #965
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,342
KX DA 12-24mm F4
ISO5000

07-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #966
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,996
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
ISO800 is hardly high these days but on the earlier models this was considered borderline high -
this was from my K100D - back in 2008 -

ISO800, f/5.6, 1/100; 55mm (on 18-55mm kit zoom)
This is a full page in "Atlanta's Finest" (paper) magazine Jul/Aug/2011 issue - (pdf of the magazine)
Congrats! Looks great!

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
ISO5000, f/4.5, 1/15; 38mm; -2/3 stop comp
There's an odd shaded band on this one?


QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
ISO4000, f/4.5, 1/200, 125mm
Susan Tedeschi?
07-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #967
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,812
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
There's an odd shaded band on this one?
where please? - could be the difference between our monitors - I often see things on a friend's top of the line Mac LCD monitor - so I may be missing something you can see, and I can't on my olde CRT monitor - appreciate any help. Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Susan Tedeschi?
yep -
and that's her husband - in the next shot
07-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #968
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,996
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
where please? - could be the difference between our monitors - I often see things on a friend's top of the line Mac LCD monitor - so I may be missing something you can see, and I can't on my olde CRT monitor - appreciate any help. Thanks


yep -
and that's her husband - in the next shot
What I'm seeing is what looks like a semi-transparent mask across the face from the cheeks up to the bottom of the hat and extending back towards the back of the head. It looks to be about 80-100 pixels tall, about the size of a blindfold. At first I thought it was some odd artifact from a mask that you created in Photoshop or LR.

And I'm going to listen to some Susan Tedeschi now...I first saw her back in '93 when she looked like a sorority girl possessed by the blues! Don't know Derek Trucks that well - all I know is that I'm jealous!

07-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #969
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,812
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
What I'm seeing is what looks like a semi-transparent mask across the face from the cheeks up to the bottom of the hat and extending back towards the back of the head. It looks to be about 80-100 pixels tall, about the size of a blindfold. At first I thought it was some odd artifact from a mask that you created in Photoshop or LR.
Got you thanks - that the select area and bring up the brightness/contrast that I did - cannot see the separation that you can on my monitor - but I had seen that kind of thing before on my friend's Mac monitor -

This makes it difficult to do my processing - the face was in extreme shadow basically looked black with very little visible feature - but bringing up the brightness makes the shot for me - didn't realize that it would look the way you described -

I wonder how many others see it that way and how many do not, please?

This may decide what direction I may have to take - like get another monitor, modify my processing and previewing on my friend's monitor before posting etc.

Would appreciate input from others on this one please?

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
And I'm going to listen to some Susan Tedeschi now...I first saw her back in '93 when she looked like a sorority girl possessed by the blues! Don't know Derek Trucks that well - all I know is that I'm jealous!
That's a really good description - I met her about the same time at a private party she talks quiet and almost demure, BUT when she sang I went holy-sh*t - unbelievable! where did she get that voice!?

You really should checkout their latest album Revelator.

They are playing the major venue this Saturday -
but I get only the first 3 songs from 100ft away.....
anyone wanna lend me a 500mm zoom lens?
07-27-2011, 01:14 PM   #970
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,996
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Got you thanks - that the select area and bring up the brightness/contrast that I did - cannot see the separation that you can on my monitor - but I had seen that kind of thing before on my friend's Mac monitor -

This makes it difficult to do my processing - the face was in extreme shadow basically looked black with very little visible feature - but bringing up the brightness makes the shot for me - didn't realize that it would look the way you described -

I wonder how many others see it that way and how many do not, please?

This may decide what direction I may have to take - like get another monitor, modify my processing and previewing on my friend's monitor before posting etc.

Would appreciate input from others on this one please?
1. A good monitor is absolutely necessary, especially if your work gets published
2. I'd suggest a softer (feathered) brush for a softer transition between edited and unedited portions of the photo.
07-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #971
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Got you thanks - that the select area and bring up the brightness/contrast that I did - cannot see the separation that you can on my monitor - but I had seen that kind of thing before on my friend's Mac monitor -

This makes it difficult to do my processing - the face was in extreme shadow basically looked black with very little visible feature - but bringing up the brightness makes the shot for me - didn't realize that it would look the way you described -

I wonder how many others see it that way and how many do not, please?

This may decide what direction I may have to take - like get another monitor, modify my processing and previewing on my friend's monitor before posting etc.

Would appreciate input from others on this one please?
I see it quite clearly as well, on my Macbook Pro and my Cinema Display.
07-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #972
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,812
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
1. A good monitor is absolutely necessary, especially if your work gets published
2. I'd suggest a softer (feathered) brush for a softer transition between edited and unedited portions of the photo.
Thanks for the advice - feathered sounds theoretically better but from my experience with defined shadows like that photo, does not work - then even I can see it on my monitor - like I said I have an "olde fashioned" CRT monitor - those are hard to beat - more modest/cheaper LCD monitors can cause problems, it's not the resolution that everyone looks at - but the gamut display and contrast - often what suits text does not suit photos - I know my friend's Mac monitor is premium - but it is way out of whack - however it is useful for me to check for problems like that photo -

Like I asked are there others that see what you saw? -
if it's the majority then I'd switch monitors -

This photo is a good case as the adjustment was quite extreme - like I said I cannot see it on my monitor.

Thanks for the input - very grateful for it.

EDIT to ADD - just saw this:
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I see it quite clearly as well, on my Macbook Pro and my Cinema Display.
Thank you - that does it - I'll reprocess the photo and replace the photo posted -
would really appreciate if you can please comment on it to see if the processing is obvious.

Thanks.

Last edited by UnknownVT; 07-27-2011 at 02:48 PM.
07-27-2011, 02:23 PM   #973
Veteran Member
darrenleow's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 541
Pentax K-5 at ISO 9000







ISO 4500


The bottleneck with the K-5 is the focusing system which hunts and front-focuses in low light situations. The sensor leaves little to be desired
07-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #974
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 1,812
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
What I'm seeing is what looks like a semi-transparent mask across the face from the cheeks up to the bottom of the hat and extending back towards the back of the head. It looks to be about 80-100 pixels tall, about the size of a blindfold. At first I thought it was some odd artifact from a mask that you created in Photoshop or LR.
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I see it quite clearly as well, on my Macbook Pro and my Cinema Display.

Thank you very much guys - I went back a reprocessed the photo -
which hopefully does not show that problem -
I've replaced the previous posted one with a note to that effect -
here is the latest - comments please?


ISO5000, f/4.5, 1/15; 38mm; -2/3 stop comp
NOTE: I've replaced this image - which hopefully does not show the processing so obviously.
Thanks to johnmflores for pointing this out to me (and to jstevewhite for the confirmation)
07-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #975
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,996
QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Thank you very much guys - I went back a reprocessed the photo -
which hopefully does not show that problem -
I've replaced the previous posted one with a note to that effect -
here is the latest - comments please?


ISO5000, f/4.5, 1/15; 38mm; -2/3 stop comp
NOTE: I've replaced this image - which hopefully does not show the processing so obviously.
Thanks to johnmflores for pointing this out to me (and to jstevewhite for the confirmation)
Much better. Just one problem remains - his trumpet's too small!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dolphin, dslr, flickr, gallery, iso, photography, post
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to post high resolution photo here? Underbridge Pentax Medium Format 5 12-25-2012 08:56 PM
People K-5 high ISO... how high can we really go... igor Post Your Photos! 2 03-24-2012 01:10 AM
Is there a high iso gallery for K-7? justtakingpics Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 05-31-2010 05:32 PM
K-7 high ISO vs K20D high ISO supa007 Pentax DSLR Discussion 72 05-10-2010 04:24 PM
Pentax k20d High ISO Photo Gallery PentaxPoke Pentax DSLR Discussion 68 02-18-2009 05:19 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top