Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #1036
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,345
There are other things that come into play too (for a different discussion). White balance is far better on the KX than on the K200D and K20. This adds to the KX, and newer, having quicker workflow. That just comes with newer technology.

Shooting in RAW with the has made a world of difference for my photography. It gives me so much more room to work. Further, blackening the blacks works well too.

K200D @ 1600





Last edited by john5100; 11-28-2011 at 11:26 PM.
11-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #1037
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
DXOMark allows you to compare raw performance: low-light ISO is the highest ISO setting for a camera that allows it to achieve an SNR of 30dB while keeping a good dynamic range of 9 EVs and a color depth of 18bits.
A difference in low-light ISO of 25% represents 1/3 EV and is only slightly noticeable.


K20D = ISO 639
K-x = IS0 811
K-5 = ISO 1162
.
Wow, K-7 was bad at 536 and an overall at 61.
11-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #1038
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Hoek van Holland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,245
K-7 isn't bad, people just can't take pictures anymore unless the camera does everything for them
11-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #1039
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
K-7 isn't bad, people just can't take pictures anymore unless the camera does everything for them
True, like me.

11-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #1040
Senior Member
SMPhoto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 183
Still impressed by the results I get with my K20D at ISO1600. I actually tend to find that I prefer the look of ISO1600 more than 800, for some reason.

Here are a couple shots at ISO1600 of a Hammered Dulcimer which was put on display at a Celtic festival I went to.
Lens was Sigma EX DG 24-60mm f/2.8, 1/15s at f/4.5 on both.
No NR applied.





100% crop of shot #1:

11-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #1041
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,963
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Wow, K-7 was bad at 536 and an overall at 61.
I can't truly tell the difference between the K7 and K20 (Difference between iso 630 and 530 is not visible as someone else mentioned). One thing to mention is that the K20 had obligatory noise reduction that started at iso 1600, whereas, the K7 allows you to turn off noise reduction up to iso 3200.
11-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #1042
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,631
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
One thing to mention is that the K20 had obligatory noise reduction that started at iso 1600, whereas, the K7 allows you to turn off noise reduction up to iso 3200.
If that were true, the ISO 1600 dot on the DXOMark SNR graph would be hollow, and it is not. Both are shown to have undefeatable NR at ISO 3200 (same for the K-x, K-r and K-5). The K200D has NR starting at ISO 800.
11-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #1043
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,542
QuoteOriginally posted by SMPhoto Quote
Still impressed by the results I get with my K20D at ISO1600. I actually tend to find that I prefer the look of ISO1600 more than 800, for some reason.

Here are a couple shots at ISO1600 of a Hammered Dulcimer which was put on display at a Celtic festival I went to.
Lens was Sigma EX DG 24-60mm f/2.8, 1/15s at f/4.5 on both.
No NR applied.

100% crop of shot #1:
Wow! I've found another K20 shooter that likes ISO1600 and I agree as well with your 1600 v. 800, the colors seem to be much richer. In fact I usually either shoot at 100 OR 1600 and haven't found a sweet spot in between; at least not yet. I would probably use 1600 for everything, but I'd need to get a set of ND filters...

@ ISO1600 Pentax F 50/1.7 No PP just resize...



@ ISO1600 Tamron AF 28-80/3.5-5.6 Used Gimp filter G'MIC to smooth out...



11-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #1044
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,345
Keep'em coming. Love to see the photos. I have that Sigma 24-60mm and I like it.
11-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #1045
Senior Member
SMPhoto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 183
QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
Wow! I've found another K20 shooter that likes ISO1600 and I agree as well with your 1600 v. 800, the colors seem to be much richer. In fact I usually either shoot at 100 OR 1600 and haven't found a sweet spot in between; at least not yet. I would probably use 1600 for everything, but I'd need to get a set of ND filters...

@ ISO1600 Pentax F 50/1.7 No PP just resize...


@ ISO1600 Tamron AF 28-80/3.5-5.6 Used Gimp filter G'MIC to smooth out...
That's interesting. I just seem to find the grain much smoother and less evident in general at ISO1600 vs 800 - this also applies to long exposures, for me. ISO200 is my default setting for most daytime shots, I actually can't find any discernible IQ difference between that and 100 most of the time.
Thanks for sharing the shots!


QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Keep'em coming. Love to see the photos. I have that Sigma 24-60mm and I like it.
Thanks John, the Sigma really is an incredibly versatile lens and a great value.
11-30-2011, 06:31 AM   #1046
Pentaxian
Designosophy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northeast Philadelphia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,094
One of the interesting things about the K-5 is that noise starts creeping in at fairly low ISOs, and it's possible to bring out noise with sharpening even at ISO 80. With the K-x, at ISO 100, I couldn't bring out noise if I tried, unless I underexposed significantly, then pushed the exposure in post.
11-30-2011, 07:06 AM   #1047
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,496
QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
One of the interesting things about the K-5 is that noise starts creeping in at fairly low ISOs, and it's possible to bring out noise with sharpening even at ISO 80. With the K-x, at ISO 100, I couldn't bring out noise if I tried, unless I underexposed significantly, then pushed the exposure in post.
aside from some slight variances in sensitivity between both camera's, I've found that they are inherently the same. However.. the K-5 RAW files seem to have slightly more color saturation than the K-x which I believe contributes to the appearance of chroma noise earlier than with the K-x files. However, I've found that this usually doesn't present any problems when using RAW developers that offer noise control features such as with Raw Therapee. Whereas developers such as Adobe Camera Raw and Light Room(for example) seem to degrade color detail with chroma control measures.

Having said that, while I'd agree that the K-5 can exhibit chroma noise at base ISO, I've also found that the phenomenon will vary based on exposure. ie. files that are well exposed seem to hold-up very well against even the most aggressive processing whereas files that lean toward underexposure will exhibit chroma noise quite easily.
12-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #1048
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,542
Kx + Kit Lens 18-55

@ ISO3200



(x posted)
12-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #1049
Veteran Member
danielchtong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 756
This came way back from a lowly DL at 1600 in 2007 with FA135


Large file
IMGP8141.JPG photo - Daniel TONG photos at pbase.com






Daniel
12-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #1050
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,542
Kx + Kit Lens

@ ISO12800

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dolphin, dslr, flickr, gallery, iso, photography, post
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to post high resolution photo here? Underbridge Pentax Medium Format 5 12-25-2012 08:56 PM
People K-5 high ISO... how high can we really go... igor Post Your Photos! 2 03-24-2012 01:10 AM
Is there a high iso gallery for K-7? justtakingpics Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 05-31-2010 05:32 PM
K-7 high ISO vs K20D high ISO supa007 Pentax DSLR Discussion 72 05-10-2010 04:24 PM
Pentax k20d High ISO Photo Gallery PentaxPoke Pentax DSLR Discussion 68 02-18-2009 05:19 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top