Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Olympus user just got his K200D

Been using Olympus DSLR's for quite some time. My first was an E-1 (still have it) and there were about 6 others along the way. I also had a D40 and DL in there as well. Last week I decided to abandon my E-420 with Katz Eye Split Image Finder and go after the refurb deal on the K200D. Along with ditching the E-420, I also decided if I like the K200D, I will jump in with Pentax (i.e. sell most of my Olympus lenses).

You see, I have been waiting quite some time for a reasonably priced, well featured, weather sealed Olympus with OEM battery grip. It hasn't come yet. The K200D caught my attention when it was announced, I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money and build up two systems.

Well, the K200D and the battery grip both arrived today. First impression? Why did I wait so long? It feels perfect (almost). It actually feels very similar to my E-1 (which feels perfect) - lighter and a little smaller, but same overall ergonomics. The shutter noise is how I remember my old DL - which I didn't care for, but I can get used to it. The menu layout is easy enough to navigate and while I would like a dedicated ISO button, its very quick to change in practice.

Unfortunately I had an order on my first Pentax auto focus lens get hung up, so I only had a cheap K mount Sears 50mm F1.7 to try out tonight. I have been using this on my E-420 with the appropriate adapter. Popped it on, set up the camera and fired some tests shots...

Wow. I am amazed at how well this camera works with old manual focus lenses. Auto focus confirm that is very accurate? It's wonderful. As easy as the E-420/split image finder is to use, the K200D with focus confirm is 10 times easier. I am going to find myself searching for good deals on K mount lenses.

I intend on building up a collection of primes (DA15, DA40, DA70, DA200), but will first grab a versatile zoom to get me started. I want weather sealed to match the body, but that will be put on hold for the time being. The budget is tight(er) than I would like at the moment. The Sigma 24-70mm EX F2.8 Macro shows up tomorrow. Hope it lives up to the good reviews I read.

Thanks for reading and I will post a few test shots from today. Also - I have to thank the site and everyone that posts for the wealth of information here. It is invaluable, but also confusing! There are so many choices and great reads when trying to decide on a lens game plan.

Joe

06-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I shot - nothing special, but wanted to share something. Sears 50mm F1.7 @ about F5.6. Not bad for a $5 lens.

1 Question... It appears there is no way to attach a wrist strap between the body and the grip. This is how I handle my E-1. Any suggestions? Or am I going to be forced to use a neck strap - which I hate unless I am handling two bodies.

BTW, I will say I am rather pleased with how the K200D handles ISO 1250. This shot was not ISO 1250, but in some of my other test shots, I can see it cleaning up much easier than my E-1 or soon to be old E-420.

Joe
06-24-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

That's a gorgeous shot for a toss-off.

The Sears lenses are actually often quite good. You can find the "Sears Lens Club" in the Lens subforum here... there's some amazing stuff in there.
06-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
Been using Olympus DSLR's for quite some time. My first was an E-1 (still have it) and there were about 6 others along the way. I also had a D40 and DL in there as well. Last week I decided to abandon my E-420 with Katz Eye Split Image Finder and go after the refurb deal on the K200D. Along with ditching the E-420, I also decided if I like the K200D, I will jump in with Pentax (i.e. sell most of my Olympus lenses).

You see, I have been waiting quite some time for a reasonably priced, well featured, weather sealed Olympus with OEM battery grip. It hasn't come yet. The K200D caught my attention when it was announced, I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money and build up two systems.

Well, the K200D and the battery grip both arrived today. First impression? Why did I wait so long? It feels perfect (almost). It actually feels very similar to my E-1 (which feels perfect) - lighter and a little smaller, but same overall ergonomics. The shutter noise is how I remember my old DL - which I didn't care for, but I can get used to it. The menu layout is easy enough to navigate and while I would like a dedicated ISO button, its very quick to change in practice.

Unfortunately I had an order on my first Pentax auto focus lens get hung up, so I only had a cheap K mount Sears 50mm F1.7 to try out tonight. I have been using this on my E-420 with the appropriate adapter. Popped it on, set up the camera and fired some tests shots...

Wow. I am amazed at how well this camera works with old manual focus lenses. Auto focus confirm that is very accurate? It's wonderful. As easy as the E-420/split image finder is to use, the K200D with focus confirm is 10 times easier. I am going to find myself searching for good deals on K mount lenses.

I intend on building up a collection of primes (DA15, DA40, DA70, DA200), but will first grab a versatile zoom to get me started. I want weather sealed to match the body, but that will be put on hold for the time being. The budget is tight(er) than I would like at the moment. The Sigma 24-70mm EX F2.8 Macro shows up tomorrow. Hope it lives up to the good reviews I read.

Thanks for reading and I will post a few test shots from today. Also - I have to thank the site and everyone that posts for the wealth of information here. It is invaluable, but also confusing! There are so many choices and great reads when trying to decide on a lens game plan.

Joe
Welcome to Pentax world!
Have you seen that the "kit zooms" 18-55 and 50-200 are now awailable in weather sealed versions (WR)? Cost a little more, but much less than the weathersealed DA* lenses.

06-25-2009, 03:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
That's a gorgeous shot for a toss-off.

The Sears lenses are actually often quite good. You can find the "Sears Lens Club" in the Lens subforum here... there's some amazing stuff in there.

Thanks! I will check out that 'Sears Lens Club'. One of my favorite rangefinders is a Sears 35RF (Ricoh 500G), so I know that some of the gear is quite nice.
06-25-2009, 03:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Welcome to Pentax world!
Have you seen that the "kit zooms" 18-55 and 50-200 are now awailable in weather sealed versions (WR)? Cost a little more, but much less than the weathersealed DA* lenses.
I did notice. I am actually hoping to acquire a K7 after the initial hype wears down and some good user reviews come in. DA* lenses caught my attention, but if a 'kit' price is good...

Photography is a source of income for me (not my main source though) and having multiple bodies is needed.
06-25-2009, 06:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
1 Question... It appears there is no way to attach a wrist strap between the body and the grip. This is how I handle my E-1. Any suggestions? Or am I going to be forced to use a neck strap - which I hate unless I am handling two bodies.
I use one of these on a K10D w/ grip:

Leather Hand Grip Strap for SLR DLSR Canon Nikon Sony - eBay (item 140328870441 end time Jun-29-09 20:32:45 PDT)

It works okay. Would have been better if Pentax had added a strap lug/slot to the bottom of the body, though.
06-25-2009, 06:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
I use one of these on a K10D w/ grip:

Leather Hand Grip Strap for SLR DLSR Canon Nikon Sony - eBay (item 140328870441 end time Jun-29-09 20:32:45 PDT)

It works okay. Would have been better if Pentax had added a strap lug/slot to the bottom of the body, though.
And I've been using the Nikon handstrap... works great. also, I'm able to have my neck strap attatched w/ the handstrap simultaneously which is nice. A bit expensive, but good quality.

06-25-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the wrist strap suggestions. I have a Hakuba wristrap that attaches to the one eyelet, not ideal, but maybe I will try it. I also have seen some that utilize the tripod socket as asecond mounting point. Again, not ideal, but maybe a possibilty.
06-25-2009, 07:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the camp Red!

If you look for affordable fast zooms you`d want to take a look at Tamron 28-75mm, and 55-300 makes a wonderful affordable long zoom.

Post more pictures, the one above is indeed a very good one for 5$ lens!
06-25-2009, 07:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Looks like Pentax offers one now:

PENTAX DSLR Leather Hand Strap - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

It's very similar to my Chinese hand strap, and the Matin hand strap.
06-25-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Welcome to the camp Red!

If you look for affordable fast zooms you`d want to take a look at Tamron 28-75mm, and 55-300 makes a wonderful affordable long zoom.

Post more pictures, the one above is indeed a very good one for 5$ lens!
thanks! I appreciate the suggestions. I looked at that tamron, but based on where I typically shoot (focal length), I thought the Sigma 24-70 would be a better fit. Plus I like 'solid' zoom with some weight. Going to probably add the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 this week or next. Coming from the Olympus 50-200 f2.8-3.5, I don't believe I would be happy with the speed or build of the 55-300 (but I agree the price to performance ratio is great!). Still haven't decided on wide yet.. Probably the 10-20. But the DA15 is attractive.
06-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Looks like Pentax offers one now:

PENTAX DSLR Leather Hand Strap - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

It's very similar to my Chinese hand strap, and the Matin hand strap.
not bad... Maybe a possibilty. Thank you
06-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I should've seen this strap earlier.
I got one that I thought was a Mennon brand but the HongKong company shipped me a completely different grip!
It actually sucked and a claim is actually filed at ebay and paypal because of false advertising.
This looks better that the one I ordered again to replace the bad one I got.
06-27-2009, 08:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I know Op/Tech make several diffrent styles of straps this is one of there products that look secure
Grip Strap | Demo Page