Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 02:48 AM   #1

Lens Choice help

I'm wanting a K7 (hopefully it allows control in video mode with SHUTTER and iso) but need some advice on lens choices...

The Tamron
70-200mm 2.8

VS.

The Pentax DA 50-135mm 2.8

I do events - weddings etc (I'm a videographer first off, branching into photography)

and was wondering if 135mm is enough range for you guys, or do you really wish for 200mm of a tamron?

Both lenses are about the same price and both seem to have great reviews (I know tamron has autofocus complaints, but I don't really care about that)

Anyone try both or have any suggestions - range issue is my main thing along with optical quality of course. The Tamron seems to be a very good lens on par with the Pentax...it also has macro...from the sample pics I saw it does seem like the Pentax has better bokeh...but you can only tell so much from the web.

Thoughts?

06-25-2009, 04:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I own the 50-135. It is a great lens. I guess the question is whether you want the extra reach. I find that for most events, 135mm is sufficient, but certainly 200mm wouldn't hurt. The other differences are that the Tamron is screw driven and so is a little noisier, definitely quite a bit larger in size (about double the weight), and doesn't have weather sealing.

Another lens to think about, would be the DA* 60-250. If you want a longer range, it would give you 10mm on the short end and 50mm on the long end. Of course, it is only f4, so that might be a deal breaker...
06-25-2009, 04:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah 2.8 is the slowest I go, but thanks for the 135 endorsement. I kind'a trust Pentax more and just like matching brands vs. third party.

But Tamron is actually among the better 3rd parties, many have claimed their 70-200mm is at times better than Canon's L 2.8.

I do trust 135 will get me by as it's 200mm equivalent on the K7, so thanks for the assurance

Anyone got any info/opinions on optical performance?

My first impressions are

Pentax - sharper, better bokeh
Tamron - close enough sharpnesswise, decent bokeh, but you see the aperture blades more often, BETTER color.

I'm assuming Pentax has better coated glass and mechanics overall though...decisions decisions.

I may just lean towards the Pentax, then buy a cheaper manual 200mm 2.8 prime off ebay perhaps.
06-25-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do remember that the 135mm is 135mm in reach and 200mm equivalent in image frame on an APS-C. Reach will be the same whether on a FF or DX camera. You'll need to be just that little bit closer to compare with the reach of the 70-200.

What do you mean by 'seeing the aperture blades more often'?
I don't think you'd be disappointed with either lens - comparisons between these two have resulted in equally contested discussions...

06-25-2009, 05:07 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Do remember that the 135mm is 135mm in reach and 200mm equivalent in image frame on an APS-C. Reach will be the same whether on a FF or DX camera. You'll need to be just that little bit closer to compare with the reach of the 70-200.

What do you mean by 'seeing the aperture blades more often'?
I don't think you'd be disappointed with either lens - comparisons between these two have resulted in equally contested discussions...
I'm aware of that as mentioned...

likewise 200mm is 300mm on the same camera, so the tamron is gonna' give you more reach.

Just wanted to see if the Pentax had that much better image rating to justify a shorter range...

OH ALSO FORGOT

MACRO - tamron is supposly a macro lens, so if anyone has used it, how well is it for that? I assume it's not a true Macro, but if you can get closer than 3ft focus distance....I may bite.
06-25-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
Ari
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Psynema Quote
Yeah 2.8 is the slowest I go, but thanks for the 135 endorsement. I kind'a trust Pentax more and just like matching brands vs. third party.

But Tamron is actually among the better 3rd parties, many have claimed their 70-200mm is at times better than Canon's L 2.8.

I do trust 135 will get me by as it's 200mm equivalent on the K7, so thanks for the assurance

Anyone got any info/opinions on optical performance?

My first impressions are

Pentax - sharper, better bokeh
Tamron - close enough sharpnesswise, decent bokeh, but you see the aperture blades more often, BETTER color.

I'm assuming Pentax has better coated glass and mechanics overall though...decisions decisions.

I may just lean towards the Pentax, then buy a cheaper manual 200mm 2.8 prime off ebay perhaps.
I've used this lens at weddings and found 135mm is more than enough reach (for me, at least). And it is razor - sharp. This is the lens that I sold my primes for.....
06-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got the Tammy recently and for one thing I can say that it is sharp and contrasty.

Probably at some point i`ll pitch it against K135\2.5 to see if Tamron is up to the challenge at 135mm.

K135\2.5 is a proven great lens.
06-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I have both... Both are outstanding lenses... I often bring both on trips..but if I have to choose one to leave behind it is always the Tamron. I just think the Pentax is sharper, lighter, quieter, more reliable focus, lighter and weather sealed. Of course I also base this on the fact that if I need more reach I will have Bigma in the bag. For weddings I would definitely go for the 50-135.

edit: i have not tried the Tamron as a macro.
and you couldnt pry my primes out of my cold dead hands, for either of these lenses.

06-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #9

Original Poster
Yeah I think I'm pretty sure I'm going with Pentax. Not a bad word about it, but I've heard plenty of gripes with the Tamron - ie inconsistent copies, noticeable downgrade in macro mode, f'n huge, and manual focus ring isn't great. I'm sure either would be fine.

But I prefer not to be on sticks and would be doing a bit of video as well.
06-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
From my experience shooting candids at weddings, 135 mm is enough, especially with the cropping possibilities a high res sensor gives you.*I don't think that at the end of the day the IQ difference between the lenses will make or break a shot, but I do think a quieter and SMALLer lens will help you. Wider is also useful. to me the Tamron is a sports lens, the Pentax the pefect tele lens for weddings. Couple it with a fast wide zoom (28-70 f2,8 or the Pentax 16-50 if you prefer) plus one fast prime (50) and you can face most situations.

Consider that, as a wedding photographer, you can move around more than the usual guest, so ludicrous reach is not mandatory.