Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Does the K200D metering tend to favor the right side of the histogram?

I meant to say left side! Thinking one thing, but typing another.

I am used to Olympus exposing close to the right. I usually had to dial in -1/3 EV. Now I would say almost all of my K200D test shots are at least one stop underexposed. Normal? Preserving highlights?

Last edited by joeyc; 06-25-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Typo in the heading
06-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax DSLRs are well known to meter to preserve highlights. For some it is an annoyance to others it is a feature. As long as you know how the camera behaves you can dial in the correct compensation to your own tastes.
06-25-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the repsone - You didn't get to see me point out my typo! I meant favor the left side. I don't mind a little underexposure and the Pentax PEF/DNG files definitely deal with shadow noise much better than I am used to with Olympus, but 1 stop or more seems very conservative to me.
06-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
Thanks for the repsone - You didn't get to see me point out my typo! I meant favor the left side. I don't mind a little underexposure and the Pentax PEF/DNG files definitely deal with shadow noise much better than I am used to with Olympus, but 1 stop or more seems very conservative to me.
As far back as the PZ-1, Pentax metering has been set at about 1/2 stop underexposed compared to some others. I prefer it myself. If you don't, add 1/2 stop to the exposures.

06-25-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
As far back as the PZ-1, Pentax metering has been set at about 1/2 stop underexposed compared to some others. I prefer it myself. If you don't, add 1/2 stop to the exposures.
I don't mind if it is normal practice. I can compensate, but like I mentioned, if I do need to boost exposure in PP, the shadows do handle it well. Olympus files turn shadows to mush in a similar situation.
06-25-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
I don't mind if it is normal practice. I can compensate, but like I mentioned, if I do need to boost exposure in PP, the shadows do handle it well. Olympus files turn shadows to mush in a similar situation.
I prefer not to boost exposure in post, but seldom have serious problems with Pentax metering. I always have my "blinkies" turned on, and reset the exposure based on them when needed. My version of ETTR is to always have at least one highlight blinky showing - but only in a specular highlight. I watch for the shadow blinky as well and make sure I do not have too many of them.
06-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The ISO standard for metring says the histogram should be about a half a stop left of center when metering a flat color like a gray card. Pentax achieves that. It also shifts things further left as necessary when necessary to preserve highlights.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-26-2009 at 09:31 AM.
06-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The ISO standard for metring says the histogram should be about a half a stop left of center when metering a flat color like a gray card. Pentax achieves that. It also shifts things further left as necessary when necessary to preserve highlights.
Thanks Marc - that is what the camera is doing. I guess I am just used to my Olympus bodies favoring the right side. Not a big deal as I can easily adapt. I love the camera and the output so far.