Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2007, 06:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Traveing to Japan and need advice

I am traveling to Japan in a few weeks for the summer through a class offered by my college. I have a K10D with a DA 18-55mm lens, as well as the DA 55-200mm lens. I also have 4 x 1gb SD cards, and a spare battery.

So here is the question this is my first Digital SLR, can you think of anything else that I need or that would come in handy?

Thanks
Andrew

04-30-2007, 07:11 AM   #2
baw

re: Japan

Take some money with you..

A lot of things can be had in Japan for equal or lower prices than in Europe or the US.
I use B&H prices as benchmark, and see if it's worthwile to buy from them or local.
I picked up my 12-24 mm lens in Osaka.
Dutch price ~ 700,-
B&H price ~ 650,-
Japan price ~ 430,-

Two big chains in Japan afaik: Big Camera and Yodobashi.
I found a local store to have even better prices than Yodobashi.

As foreigner I could buy tax-free. Check with your store before buying, they have to attach a form to your passport.
04-30-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't overlook the small things. If you fill up the cards, you'll need to download to something for storage or buy more cards. You should be backing up to something anyway. Also, make sure that you have a converter so that you can use your battery charger.
There used to be an old saying about film being the least of all things (from a cost standpoint) once you've paid to get there, etc. I would view the cost of a storage/backup device much the same.
04-30-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

For such a small country, Japan can be a big place. Whereabouts exactly are you going to be?

04-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
For most of the trip I will be in the Niigata area. After my classes are over I plan on traveling around for 10 days, but don't know where yet.

As for backing up the data I am bringing my laptop so I plan to backup what I have taken each night both to the hard drive and to DVDs.
05-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

i'm in japan at the moment and everything electronically speaking you need, they have it, especially when it comes to camera equipment! if you forget, need or just want something for your K10D setup, you've come to the right place.
05-01-2007, 06:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm in Gunma, the next prefecture south on the way to Tokyo. If you're passing through on a non-workday (in my case, that equals "Sunday"), drop me a line.
05-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #8
Forum Member

You won't find many bargains in Japanese camera stores, I'm afraid. But you will find all the Pentax accessories that are hard to find in the U.S. For me, it was genuine Pentax lens caps. (All the stores around here sell cheap 3rd-party lens caps instead of Pentax brand.)

Your charger will work with international voltage, so it's good from 100 to 240V. No problems there.

I enjoyed visiting the "Pentax forum" while I was in the Tokyo area. Here is a link to my gallery of Japan photos:

Tokyo, Jan. 2007 Photo Gallery by Joe Barnhart at pbase.com

05-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RC Pilot Quote
I am traveling to Japan in a few weeks for the summer through a class offered by my college. I have a K10D with a DA 18-55mm lens, as well as the DA 55-200mm lens. I also have 4 x 1gb SD cards, and a spare battery.

So here is the question this is my first Digital SLR, can you think of anything else that I need or that would come in handy?

Thanks
Andrew
Lens cleaner.
Sensor cleaner.
Polarizing filter.

And take the manual.
05-02-2007, 05:04 AM   #10

I don't have anything constructive to say, as it has already been said. I just wanted to say: lucky!

you will likely take tons of photos, Japan I'm sure is fll of wonderful details you'll want to capture. A laptop or portable storage device would probabyl be handy, ie a Wolverine or Hyperdrive Space
05-02-2007, 07:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

hey mike, i'm in hiroshima ken, a fair shin ride from where you are unfortunatly