Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2009, 06:06 AM   #1

What Class SDHC Card Should I Get.

I am going to buy a K2000 and need to buy more SD cards. The SDHC cards have there different classes and I was wondering what class I should get. Is class 6 what I need or will I be fine with class 2. I want the burst mode on the camera to be waiting on the camera buffer not on a slow card.

06-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would recommend Class 6.
06-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Class 2 is very slow but class 6 (or the new class 10) is very expensive. I paid extra for a class 6 (Sandisk extreme III 30MB/s) with a couple of Ultra IIs (class 4) to go with my new K200D & I have found that it makes no difference. The burst mode relies on the buffer but with Pentax cameras the buffer is small, once thatīs full the burst mode will slow down dramatically but it wonīt make much difference at all on the card. You canīt get round that with a faster card, only by buying a different camera (a K20D or K7).

So I would recommend a good brand (Sandisk, panasonic...) but no need to spend the extra on class 6 or 10.
06-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #4

If you're in the UK, 7 day shop have Toshiba 8Gb class 6 for less than a tenner delivered. I'm using one and it's well worth it, just so I can review an image within a second or so of capture. If you shoot jpg I suppose that's less of an issue.
At that price, class 2 just aren't worth considering. Some of the SanDisk may go beyond basic class 6 (Extreme III 30Mbs), but you'd need a good reason to pay the high price of those cards.

06-26-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nwahsadude Quote
I am going to buy a K2000 and need to buy more SD cards. The SDHC cards have there different classes and I was wondering what class I should get. Is class 6 what I need or will I be fine with class 2. I want the burst mode on the camera to be waiting on the camera buffer not on a slow card.
K20D and I presume K-7D use DDR2 memory which uses both sides of the clock cycle so is very fast, ie twice as fast as K10D DDR memory. So the fastest SDHC card you can get/afford the better.

David
06-26-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I fall into the SanDisk Extreme III fan club on this. I also have a couple of Class 6 Lexar Platinum IIs, and although for my uses it makes no never mind, the write time is noticeably longer with the Lexar Cards (rated 60X) versus the SanDisk Extreme III 133X.
06-26-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think a class 6 would do it for your K-m. I bought myself 2 16gb sdhc with an r/w of 22/10MB/s by adata. quite cheap compared to a Sandisk Ultra II which is $65 more or 3 times the price. I would use these two for data storage (photo and video) backup/safekeeping or I could probably use them for the K-7 for shooting as well. that depends on how those flash cards would perform using the K-7. otherwise, I'll buy the 32gb Extreme III sdhc with 30/30/s r/w.
06-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
I ending getting 2 4GB class 4 cards. One other question how big of a card will the K-m/ k2000 take. I ordered a K-m and should be here tomorrow Can't wait.