Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #1

K20d came today! woohoo

my poor k100d is sulking in the corner.

I know this is all old hat for most of you, since I lag a generation behind, but for what it's worth, my first impressions were:

I like the size/weight. dSLRs have always felt small to me..I'm not a huge person, normal hands, but I like a camera that has some heft to it. It is noticeably bigger than my k100d. I feel like more of a man now. or something

The shutter seems quieter than the K100d...which is cool. Maybe it's just my specific k100d, but man, it's loud.

The af/m switch doesn't seem as ergonomic as the k100d's. it's nice to have afc/afs/manual, but it's a weird movement to move it.

There are more buttons than I know what to do with.

cool, can't wait to play with it.

06-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #2

Original Poster
Question: to protect my shiny new huge LCD screen, does anyone have a recommendation for a protective covering or something, that won't be a huge mess if I need to take it off and won't kill the quality of the image on the screen?
06-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use the ACMAXX cover and it is pretty scratch resistant. About $15 on eeek-bay.

Congrats on the K20D! I got mine last January and it is my first DSLR. Already shot over 13000 pics! Very addictive!
06-26-2009, 03:42 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats! I'm loving my month old K20D too. It does have lots of buttons but surprisingly they get used, a lot. I agree with you also about the strange AF/AF.C/M switch, it's a bit odd and I'm having a time getting used to it. I have found though, that with the added size/weight, I need a padded neck strap. Bye, bye faithful old Domke Gripper....

Oh, I've got a Power Support Anti-Glare Film on my LCD. I got two film sets with the cover for my iPod touch and I wanted to try the Crystal one on the iPod so I thought well, if I liked the Anti-Glare already I'll try it on my camera. I can cut one sheet in half with an Xacto and it works great, no bubbles and it's very easy to remove. Lift one corner with a piece of scotch tape and it's off, no residue. They're a bit pricey ($15 for front and back sheets) and you can find them online or at a retail Apple Store. If you buy just the film sets you can get 2 sheets which equals 4 for the K20D. It doesn't cover the entire LCD exactly but if you use one sheet you can custom cut for a perfect fit to fit the whole thing, I just have it covering the "image" area.

Good luck and enjoy taking lots of photos!

06-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ireally like the Giottos glass protector. I have them on all my DSLRs I just feel a little better knowing that it is a hard surface rather than a thin piece of plastic.

On another note, enjoy your K20D.
06-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbower Quote

I know this is all old hat for most of you, since I lag a generation behind, but for what it's worth, my first impressions were:

I like the size/weight. dSLRs have always felt small to me..I'm not a huge person, normal hands, but I like a camera that has some heft to it. It is noticeably bigger than my k100d. I feel like more of a man now. or something

The shutter seems quieter than the K100d...which is cool. Maybe it's just my specific k100d, but man, it's loud.

The af/m switch doesn't seem as ergonomic as the k100d's. it's nice to have afc/afs/manual, but it's a weird movement to move it.

Congratulations, I know what you mean about the weight and feel of the camera, it feels like a real dSLR, a camera that's serious. And you know what, it is serious. Have fun
06-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Igilligan

Shoot that thing for a week and then pick up your K100d... It feels so small! The K20 was such a great upgrade for me... good luck, it takes a bit to get a feel for it but once you do, it really starts to shine.

Congrats... all those buttons will soon enough be your friend and you will wonder how you could even take pics stumbling thru the menu system on the old K100d...

But keep that K100d, I still use mine for club shots, and the ISO 1600 is still good... and for going places with sketchy surroundings...
I love the handling of the K20
but my little old K100 can still produce.

K100d - ISO 1600 - tamron 28-75

06-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine got here today and I only have had a few hours of time with it, but ironically I find it much too small for my hands. I have somewhat large palms and shorter fingers so the buttons are in a great position but the body does not rest in my palm well at all. In fact I have to squeeze to hold onto it...for me that's a problem because I have RA which affects my hands very significantly.

My solution will be a battery grip. I find if I can hold the camera with my hand farther down the side then everything feel good except I am holding on with pretty much 2-1/2 fingers and my thumb.

With a grip, even w/o a battery, will let me just use my entire hand.

I briefly mounted my 50-135 and it really adds strain to my hand...so, a battery grip is a must have, especially if I am going to use longer lenses which affect the balance anyway.

I have a few things about the buttons but more of it is just learning a new system. So far I am constantly hitting the "RAW" button when wanting the pop-up flash. I am also always hitting the AE-L button when I want to adjust the zoom of an image while previewing.

Otherwise it sure feels solid...but small compared to my 40D.
06-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbower Quote

if you dont mind, can I have your k100d for 50 bucks?
06-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
Forum Member

I'm like you a generation behind. I also got my K20D Friday, just in time for my birthday.

Apart from not having to go into the menu to change any of the settings, what I like the most compared with the K100D Super is the buffer size. While before, after 3 to 4 continuous shots, I had to wait a few seconds for the next shots, with the K20D I haven't encounter any dead-time.
06-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Congrats..The K20D is a very fine tool indeed. You will be amazed with a good lens, how fine the resolving power is. You will be able to print A2 format without any difficulty and without interpolation. As I stated in an earlier post, the output is better than the Canon 1Ds Mkll which is a 16.2 mega pixel FF camera.

We are very fortunate to be able to purchase a camera at this price today. Three years ago it would have cost at least 3 to 4 times what it goes for today.
06-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
We are very fortunate to be able to purchase a camera at this price today. Three years ago it would have cost at least 3 to 4 times what it goes for today.
I'm amazed at how fast the price of digital SLRs moved into the affordable range. I remember when I paid about $900 for a Canon G3. The digital SLR of the day was the Canon EOS D30 which went for about $3000, and provided 3 megapixels. That's the price you pay for being an early adopter, I guess.
06-28-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on getting the K20D.
Enjoy it and post up some pics!
Technology quickly becomes 'obsolete' as it's being replaced by the 'newly developed' model 6 months later. So prices are bound to fall, but that doesn't stop the former flagship models from being great cameras.
06-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine arrived this week as well. I'm enjoying the familiar feel and the high ISO. Another little detail that has been welcome is the PC terminal. I've been playing with integrating an on-camera AF540 in PTTL mode with two Vivitar 283s triggered by an RF transmitter connected to the PC. It works quite nicely.
06-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
Forum Member

gday guys i also got k20D 2 days ago looking at playing with car show pics with it just gotta get into diff settings and out of auto with it alotta reading to do cheers guys