Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Oh My God

I did it. Just walked into Cameraworld off Oxford st and bought a K10D after MUCH deliberating. I'm still thinking the K100D might produce better images and is lighter... and probably the more sensible choice (they had a refurbed K100D for 300!!) BUT having had a play with them both I decided (just) that the K10D was much easier to use in places and possibly more fun to use... that's the gadget lover in me I guess.

He gave me a week to make sure I was happy with it... if not I can change it, which is good.

I bought it with the Sigma 18-50 (non macro version... they didn't have the new one but the old one was quite a bit cheaper and has had better reviews from what I remember... not sure I'll do much macro and I have a manual macro lens anyway.

I did want a sigma 30mm but they didn't have one in stock.

The body come with a free 2GB card on their website.. but I didn't get one in the shop... darn it, should have checked... I'll have to ask them tomorrow.

Anyway... WOOHOOOO!

04-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations! Don't look back or second guess, just have a blast with your new camera!
04-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Enjoy!!! I had the same debate and went the other way - I have now been able to take bad pictures consistently with my K100D

I am learning the (D)SLR and trying everything manual - and to date I suck ! Once in a while I switch to the idiot proof auto and take a picture in bright daylight to confirm my incompetence. I have successfully overexposed, underexposed , and blurred most of my pictures – but I am understanding what I am doing wrong in the process  (white balance is wrong, I left exposer adjustment at +2 , metering was bad,. ISO wrong haha thank gawd for digital!)

Like anything I just need more dedicated practice! My plan was to get competent with manual settings and then upgrade to K10 or whatever is current by then

Enjoy I know the K100D is a great camera and the K10D is the next level up
04-30-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh My Christian

Oh My Christian,
I don't think you'll regret your choice....Have fun!!

04-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just waiting for the battery to charge... COME ON!!!!
04-30-2007, 01:24 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I have not been disapointed in image quality with mine.
04-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Christian,
Congatulations on your new camera. I am sure you will have much success.

Daacon, I am soooooooooo in your shoes! I really laughed because, like you, I feel I have achieved a measure of success because I can now tell how I have screwed up every shot! lol
04-30-2007, 02:02 PM   #8

Oh so true...

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Enjoy!!! I had the same debate and went the other way - I have now been able to take bad pictures consistently with my K100D

I am learning the (D)SLR and trying everything manual - and to date I suck ! Once in a while I switch to the idiot proof auto and take a picture in bright daylight to confirm my incompetence. I have successfully overexposed, underexposed , and blurred most of my pictures – but I am understanding what I am doing wrong in the process  (white balance is wrong, I left exposer adjustment at +2 , metering was bad,. ISO wrong haha thank gawd for digital!)

Like anything I just need more dedicated practice! My plan was to get competent with manual settings and then upgrade to K10 or whatever is current by then

Welcome to the real world daacon.

Green and P work very well for day to day shooting.... I sometimes wonder how many of these so called 'only shoot manual' perfectionists secretly switch to the Green and P modes in private.

I hear they insist on using manual rather than automatic transmissions in their cars too....

04-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

"The Film"compartment

QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote
Just waiting for the battery to charge... COME ON!!!!
Did you find the latch to open the back to put in the film yet?

It takes 35mm and 120 film formats. I literally had to rip off the rear viewing screen to get to the compartment..Thank goodness Pentax Support were there to help me put on my special jacket in white with the really long sleeves. They told me that if I wore it they would load the camera for me...
04-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Did you find the latch to open the back to put in the film yet?

It takes 35mm and 120 film formats. I literally had to rip off the rear viewing screen to get to the compartment..Thank goodness Pentax Support were there to help me put on my special jacket in white with the really long sleeves. They told me that if I wore it they would load the camera for me...
....but Ben, surely you of all people know that you put the film in the little slot on the side (be sure to remove that silly little plastic card thingy first).

Then unroll the film, (just grab the end protruding and pull it ALL the way out), and then just feed it in. Easy.

...and why do they make those jackets with really long sleeves
04-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rzarbo Quote
Christian,
Congatulations on your new camera. I am sure you will have much success.

Daacon, I am soooooooooo in your shoes! I really laughed because, like you, I feel I have achieved a measure of success because I can now tell how I have screwed up every shot! lol
Yeah I call it "progress" as well to glad I am not the only one (to admit it !)

Christian

So as not to compleltely Highjack this thread - that battery charged yet ? Or as Ben suggested you got the film in Fire away !!!
04-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #12

Where is...

The sharp picture button(SPB) so all my photos are sharp???

TedP
04-30-2007, 03:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The "Ahhhhhhhh" I Got It Thingy...

QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
....but Ben, surely you of all people know that you put the film in the little slot on the side (be sure to remove that silly little plastic card thingy first).

Then unroll the film, (just grab the end protruding and pull it ALL the way out), and then just feed it in. Easy.

...and why do they make those jackets with really long sleeves
Ahhhh...So what you are saying is I have to remove the film from the canister in total darkness and slide it all in to that slot behind the cute little door thingy?

Man, those designers at Pentax are geniuses...

I love Pentax...
04-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote

I am learning the (D)SLR and trying everything manual - and to date I suck ! Once in a while I switch to the idiot proof auto and take a picture in bright daylight to confirm my incompetence. I have successfully overexposed, underexposed , and blurred most of my pictures but I am understanding what I am doing wrong in the process  (white balance is wrong, I left exposer adjustment at +2 , metering was bad,. ISO wrong haha thank gawd for digital!)

We should start a club. Everytime I botch a photo, then switch to P or auto and take a properly exposed photograph (I don't say a good photograph, as that still requires composition and other things the camera can't help with), it is a not-so-subtle reminder that the camera is infinitely smarter than I. Digital has certainly been a blessing for learning to do more than shoot in Program mode. The instant feedback provides a great learning environment.
04-30-2007, 04:16 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Battery charged! Film in! I see the number change every time I take a shot so I know it's in properly.

I have lots of shots of the lightshade, TV and the cuckoo clock. Nice.

Tried my old manual Sigma 24mm Macro and Pentax 50 1.7 M. They work. Genius!

I'm really tired and I need to wrap my girlfriend's birthday present ... but I still have sooo many buttons and settings to play with!