Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
D-BG2 Grip: Pin Stuck

Title says it all, couple posts about the issue in the accessories section, posting here instead of accessories to see if anyone that frequents this part of the forums has any ideas.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/36749-grip-pins.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/30339-problem-bg2-grip.html

Mine looks like this (image is not mine, credit to Dehem in that second link) but it's just the one pin that controls the front wheel that's stuck for me:

06-26-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's probably just gunked up. You might try some electronics cleaner. I don't know if they have stores up in Canada but Radio Shack carries some stuff that's pretty good.

Here's a link - Precision Electronics Cleaner - RadioShack.com

I've not had need to try it on any of my camera gear but I have had very good luck de-fouling various computer plugs/ports/accessories with it. From what I can tell it leaves absolutely zero residue. The only concern I would have is whether it will react with the plastic of the grip; just put a drop on a non-vital area and check for any softening.
06-27-2009, 12:27 AM - 1 Like   #3

You"re from Toronto.....that"s easy....it"s frozen....
06-27-2009, 05:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Blame it on Canada eh? Thanks for the suggestion, will check today.

06-27-2009, 06:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Those pins do not stuck without a reason. Most likely they are bent. It's easy to replace bent pins, however bad thing is that it's not easy to get replacement pins.
06-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Those pins do not stuck without a reason. Most likely they are bent.
How do these pins get bent? Even though the grip is firmly mounted to the camera, is there still enough play (wiggle room) in the mounting to cause the pins to bend? Or do they bend while putting the grip on?
06-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
How do these pins get bent? Even though the grip is firmly mounted to the camera, is there still enough play (wiggle room) in the mounting to cause the pins to bend? Or do they bend while putting the grip on?
I can see how one can bend the pins while putting the grip on the camera. Hope the OP can get this resolved.
06-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
You can bend pins while putting the grip on or while carrying it in the bag without that little plastic protective cap.

07-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My pins are bent but theyre not in too deep so I'm able to pull them out with tweezers. I'd have to do it every time I detach/reattach the grip, but as long as I keep it attached (which I do anyways) then I don't have to worry.
07-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah no luck pulling the pin out. I took the top metal plate off the grip but the pins themselves are on an assembly that looks like it is screwed in from the bottom (finished portion) of the grip.

It's a shame, the grip works well and I'm glad it is the front dial since I don't use it much, but still, I'd like it fixed somehow. Perhaps some time next fall when it is cold, gray, and rainy I'll disassemble the grip, but for now it works and I like using it so much I don't want to risk making it worse.