Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2009, 12:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why I chose the Pentax K20D

Around June of 2008 I decided that the Sony DSC-R1 that I was using was too limited (with a fixed Zeiss f2.8 lens, 28-135) for what I wanted out of photography. I did loads of research. What system offered the best quality for the best price and follow on cost (lenses, flashes etc.)?

I looked at the Nikon D90, D60, Canon EOS 50D, and the K20D. DPreview has all the specs.

The K20D has better pixel density at the sensor, better effective pixels, built-in shake reduction and backward lens compatibility. There are ZERO Canons or Nikons in this price range that have weather proofing.

With Pentax I can go to a yard sale, get a Sears, JC Penny or older Asahi lens for $10 and make it work. There are millions of compatible lenses out there; FIND 'EM!

Every time Canon or Nikon submits a new line, you have to buy a new lens. Because the Nikons and Canons have no built-in SR, the lenses must have it; therefore more cost.

I was reading the threads on camera snobbery and don't understand. I have owned Canon(AE-1 Program) and Minolta(Maxxum 7000, 505 Si Super, DiMage Z1, Sony's DSC-R1) and have shot my Dad's classic Nikons and Leicas. NONE of the afore mentioned cameras has the quality of the Pentax K20D. I am totally impressed with this camera. I would buy the K7, but I really don't have a need for hd video.

What works best for you is what matters, but don't make the choice on name alone.

Look at Pentax and the quality of the build and the glass.

Pentax to me means: underdog, attitude and personality. Make it your own.

06-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good approach, and great choice (of course, I have to agree).
Lots of comments on why people chose Pentax are in another recent thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/64249-pentax-what-compels...ghlight=pentax

Only in many parts of the world, you'll be hard pressed to find a K20D amongst all the D90, D60, 50D, 500D and 1000D stock available in local retailers - well at least that's what's happening in my neck of the woods...
06-27-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
wtf is Toowoomba. I have been to Melbourne.....
06-27-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Melbourne is not too bad. Glad to hear you being to Melbourne here. There is a Melbourne in CA too?

06-27-2009, 04:51 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Country Queensland, mate.
Keen photogs are everywhere in the world...
06-27-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
Inactive Account

same story here but I used a Canon Powershot Pro 1
06-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good approach, and great choice (of course, I have to agree).
Lots of comments on why people chose Pentax are in another recent thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/64249-pentax-what-compels...ghlight=pentax

Only in many parts of the world, you'll be hard pressed to find a K20D amongst all the D90, D60, 50D, 500D and 1000D stock available in local retailers - well at least that's what's happening in my neck of the woods...
Have been a Pentax user since SLR days. Glad to meet someone from Toowoomba. I studied at USQ from 1995 to 1996 to complete my degree and have been plannig to visit there for a long time. Most likely will try to visit in a few years time when my kids are older.

Must have changed a lot since then right?

06-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My reasoning before going Pentax was the same as yours. Pentax offers what I want regarding bodies, features, lenses. It makes me enjoy photography.

before getting my Pentax, I read loads of reviews, on every brand, kept comparing features. When I got my K20D, I chose it instead of the entry-level K200d in part because I wanted what was the most advanced camera around. that way, as long as the camera works, I'll have things to learn from it. I'll keep experimenting, learning, and enjoying photography.

It's been a while since I read a camera review...
06-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
It's been a while since I read a camera review...
I think I like your reasoning.
06-28-2009, 04:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Likewise

My story is similar. I had an Olympus 8080WZ for a few years, and gradually became frustrated with its limitations. I had to get an SLR.

I researched the market thoroughly, and the K20D simply offered the best bang for the buck (by far) of the enthusiast-class SLRs. Most people seem to think that you can't go wrong following the Canikon herd, but I'm inclined to gravitate towards the brands with less market share -- I figure that they'll try harder to get and keep my business.

Since I've made my purchase I've gradually come to appreciate many of the things that make Pentax cameras special. There's absolutely no buyer's remorse here!