Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K100D battery reading problem

Hi Everyone,

I've owned my K100D now for 5 years and have recently come across a problem. I use ordinary (or rechargeable) AA batteries. I charged my re-chargeable set and when I put them in the camera, the display showed battery dead and the camera would not work. I checked the batteries in a different camera to make sure they had charged properly and there was no problem

It seems as if the camera is not 'seeing' the batteries. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know what might be the problem and how I can fix it.

Many thanks in advance.

Pam

06-27-2009, 05:30 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Most people prefer eneloops, they seem to be the most trouble free rechargeables.

Welcome BTW.
06-27-2009, 05:53 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you but I don't think it's a problem with the actual batteries as they work perfectly in another camera.
06-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That probably because your Pentax DSLR has a higher voltage requirement than other Aa cameras. Pentax DSLR's require the cells to be at least 1.2 volts or so or they won't work. Older NiMH cells often can't quite get to that level even when fully charged, but might have enough voltage to work with less demanding devices.

Search the forum and find dozens of threads on this - it's a very well-known known issue. Keep your existing batteries for your other devices, get a new set of Eneloops or other low-self-discharge cells (sometimes sold as "pre-charged") for your Pentax, and your problems are over.

06-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pamss Quote
Hi Everyone,

I've owned my K100D now for 5 years and have recently come across a problem. I use ordinary (or rechargeable) AA batteries. I charged my re-chargeable set and when I put them in the camera, the display showed battery dead and the camera would not work. I checked the batteries in a different camera to make sure they had charged properly and there was no problem

It seems as if the camera is not 'seeing' the batteries. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know what might be the problem and how I can fix it.

Many thanks in advance.

Pam
How old and what type of batteries are you using?
What is your charger of choice?

Nimh batteries need to be replaced when they don't hold a charge and a "good" charger is a must.

Ray
06-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Thank you but I don't think it's a problem with the actual batteries as they work perfectly in another camera.
Just to support what Marc said: I once had a camera which was very finicky with accumulators. Wouldn't even start with them while the charger and other gadgets indicated "OK". They weren't OK, really.

I don't think that the K100D is as finicky but I've never tried anything else than Sanyo Eneloops and Energnizer 2500, which both work like cream (the former holding their charge much longer when not used).
06-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would also think that it is the battery.
With certain chargers also (like the eneloop charger), if the battery is not charging well or not charging fully, the charger would not charge or will not work.
If you test the battery though, it does contain a charge.
If you charge it in a regular charger (not sensing) charger, it would charge these batteries without any problem.
The thing is, the K100D may be sensing also that the batteries aren't holding their regular charge anymore, that is why it is indicating that it doesn't have a full charge/ or doesn't have a charge for that matter.
The batteries in question might also meter to have a voltage of 1.2V but it might not have enough of the mAH (milliamphere hours - current) to power up the K100D.

06-28-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Another camera? Or another K100D? Any other camera will not likely present the same load on the batteries...the higher the load, the more the voltage is pulled down. And as Gerry said, it's not just voltage but current we're mostly concerned about (voltage is potential, but current does the work).
06-29-2009, 02:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

actually, mAh is more like energy, what you mean is probably mA under load, and voltage under load (voltage usually drops under load for most batteries). just to be clear on it

try a different set of accumulators, new ones if possible, eneloop or similar will be your best bet on the long run, as was mentioned here already.
06-29-2009, 05:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi everyone and thanks for all your replies. I've found some eneloop batteries and charger on Amazon so I'll get those ordered. I really appreciate your help in this - forums are brilliant places to find friendly helpful folks.

Thanks again.
06-29-2009, 05:14 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sanyo Eneloop AA mAh - is this the right battery to get?

Regards

Pam
06-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, Sanyo Eneloop AA (double A) batteries.
You could also purchase Raynox hybrid batteries (Walmart available cheap) as it is the same as Eneloop batteries.
I use both the Eneloop and Raynox hybrids.
06-29-2009, 10:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the same thing happen tp my K100 after about 12 months. did some research online and found out that it is caused my some technical problem in this model to do with voltages etc (way too hard to understand!). Anyway the easy solution for me was to put in Lithium batteries, just replaced the first set last week after over 12 months use! Why bother with recharbles!?
06-30-2009, 02:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi Everyone,

I've owned my K100D now for 5 years
The K100D has only been out for just over 3 years
see here if you'd like to confirm it.

QuoteQuote:
and have recently come across a problem. I use ordinary (or rechargeable) AA batteries. I charged my re-chargeable set and when I put them in the camera, the display showed battery dead and the camera would not work. I checked the batteries in a different camera to make sure they had charged properly and there was no problem

Many thanks in advance.

Pam
Like others have said they need good Nickle Metal batteries. I've tried good old fashioned Duracell's and they only lasted a few shots, whereas a good set of fully charged batteries will last me several hundred photographs.
06-30-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Why bother with recharbles!?
Because they are hundreds of times cheaper in the long run and also better environmentally, and the good ones work just as well as lithiums (OK, not *quite* as many shots, but close).