Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #31
Veteran Member
WMBP's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,496
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
NaCl(one thing I've learned over and over, try the simple stuff first)H2O
Salty - right, simple stuff first. So I've tried the things I could try without a trip to the camera store, like formatting the card and changing the settings in Lightroom. But I think you're right: the card reader may be the next good bet. I'll try to get one in the next day and give that try and will report back to the thread. Thanks,

Will

05-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #32
dbh
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Edmonton
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 404
I used to have intermittent flaky imports. Sometimes I'd get an error message but most often I'd just notice the image wasn't right. In either case, I would delete the image and try again right away, right in Lightroom, right from the SD card (import, SD card, deselect all, reselect the flaky image) and it would come in fine.

When I purchased an ATP Promax 4G SDHC class6 card, it came with a cute little reader. So I started using that all the time with all my SD cards and have never seen a bad import since. In addition, the transfers have speeded up 2-3X.

Bottom line, I was getting marginal data integrity via my Vantec 11 in 1 USB card reader. Solved the problem with the new reader.
--
dbh
05-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #33
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Auckland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 452
Sandisk and lightroom?

I too have had the same experiances as the OP with Lightroom and my Sandisk cards which are extreme 3's. I have only used Silkypix and now capture one le but have never had any transfer errors with either except once in a while with lightroom (v.1). Oddly enough my cheap chinese brand card never had this problem, only the sandisks...perhaps the faster transfer rates are the problem and the software isnt keeping up?
05-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #34
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,887
At first I had quite a few corrupted files as well. I copy the files directly from the camera with explorer to my computer with no errors reported, but still some turned out unreadable.

But since my computers USB 2.0 implementation had caused me trouble before, especially with my flatbed scanner, I figured I might as well try a new PCI USB card instead of the onboard USBs. And I havenít lost one file since the new USB card was installed, but then again, I have only had it for a week or so. .

05-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #35
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 40
I'm having the same issue again with Lightroom, I'm letting it do my conversion just like WMBP. When I started having the issue I was using a Patriot 4GB card, so I put in a 2GB Sandisk Extreme II, both have the same issues. I went and bought and Sandisk Extreme card reader (I was using my K10D as the card reader previously), and I'm still having issues. What I did notice that seemed peculiar was that I also am doing a conversion and copying to my external hard drive at the same time (an NAS in this case). When I get home I'll try changing my download settings and try copying to my local drive.
05-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #36
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,314
I have had 2 separate issues with corrupted images on different digital cameras.

On my pentax EI-200 p&s, the battery cover was not secure and intermittent battery power would cause loss of images on the CF card (i.e. not readable)

Receintly on my new p&s (sorry not pentax this time) I dropped the camera and the image being previewed at the time was damaged and not readable.

Don't know on this one if it is the SD card connector, or battery, but as I have not dropped the camera again all is OK

I would look at the finish on the contacts of the SD card myself, if you are changing cards frequently
05-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #37
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17
I shoot in DNG RAW with no noise reduction and always reformat the card in the camera. See my earlier post for the description of my download problems.
05-01-2007, 05:58 PM   #38
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 17
When I first download to my Wolverine and then download to my laptop, I have no problem. This leads me to think the problem is with the Windows computer reading the card. Wolverine issued a firmware update for the SDHC card.

Does anyone using a MAC have the problem with downloading from the card?

05-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,599
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Salty - right, simple stuff first. So I've tried the things I could try without a trip to the camera store, like formatting the card and changing the settings in Lightroom. But I think you're right: the card reader may be the next good bet. I'll try to get one in the next day and give that try and will report back to the thread. Thanks,

Will
Will, if you have the download cable, why not try a DL directly from the camera? If it's NOT the reader, you should have the same problems, and you can save yourself at trip to the camera or electronics store. If everything goes hunky dory than it probably is the reader. There is also a possibility that it's the cable (very rare) or the USB socket (even rarer). But there is one thing I've learned doing warranty analysis besides SSF (simple stuff first) and that is electronics can be infuriatingly frustrating at times.

NaCl(good luck)H2O
05-03-2007, 09:30 AM   #40
Veteran Member
WMBP's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,496
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Will, if you have the download cable, why not try a DL directly from the camera? If it's NOT the reader, you should have the same problems, and you can save yourself at trip to the camera or electronics store. If everything goes hunky dory than it probably is the reader. There is also a possibility that it's the cable (very rare) or the USB socket (even rarer). But there is one thing I've learned doing warranty analysis besides SSF (simple stuff first) and that is electronics can be infuriatingly frustrating at times.
Salty, thanks for the followup. Importing directly from the camera? I haven't done that in so long that it hadn't occurred to me, but it would save me the cost of a new reader. I hope I can find the cable!

Will
05-04-2007, 07:11 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,599
QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Salty, thanks for the followup. Importing directly from the camera? I haven't done that in so long that it hadn't occurred to me, but it would save me the cost of a new reader. I hope I can find the cable!

Will
Ha! that is exactly the same thing that happend to me. Looked all over for the cable, couldn't find it, bought a reader anyway and that fixed the problem. Of course as soon a I bought a new reader, I found the cable! I don't know about the K10D but the USB socket for the DS is proprietary!!@#$%^& leastwise the 6 or so "standard" USB cable configs I have don't fit it. It is possible that the K10D USB socket might be standard, but I wouldn't count on it.

NaCl(good luck in your hunt)H2O
08-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #42
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346
I've been having what seems to be a similar problem when attempting to open PEF files in ACR & Lightroom.

In ACR/Photoshop it says "could not complete your request because the file-format module couldn't parse the file", and in Lightroom there is a "caution" triangle in the upper right hand corner of the image in the Grid layout, and when I click the triangle it says "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo." The image looks blurry and pixelated. Aperture is also not able to open the files.

This happened with images in three different recent shoots. Not all of the images from each shoot, just a few. I was shooting RAW (PEF) + JPEG in the first shoot, and RAW (PEF) in the second and third.

In all cases my camera was on a tripod pointed at a 45 degree angle downward. Someone at dpreviews had a similar problem and suggested turning off the in-camera rotation, which solved it for him. I did turn it off, but continue to have the same problem. It's consistent on every shoot.

I have formatted my Lexar 133x 4 GB card. I plug the Lexar provided SDHC reader directly into the USB 2.0 port on my Mac G5.

I'm just wondering if the original poster ever resolved the problem? Did you send your camera in? Mine is still under the return policy window (bought it from Amazon) so I'm seriously considering just ordering a new one and sending this one back. Amazon has an excellent return policy and if this is a camera issue I just don't want to deal with sending it in to Pentax.
08-09-2007, 06:48 PM   #43
Veteran Member
jfdavis58's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 13 S 0357397-3884316
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 876
Bounce, bump, kick...

Threads around here reappear every now and then and remind us of old problems, suggestions and...

Might be nice if Will could tell us how he is doing, what worked (or seemed to) what didn't, i.e. is there a resolution?


Back in April:

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Happened again today. There were about 100 Raw (PEF) files on the SD card. When I tried to import them into Adobe Lightroom, I was told that five of them could not be imported for various reasons. Lightroom tells me the file names of the files it can't import. I wrote down the names of the files, quit Lightroom, opened the card on my desktop, and copied those five files to a folder on my hard disk. Then I tried to reimport those files from that folder. One of them was imported this time, but Lightroom now told me that the other four were either damaged or in a file that is not supported.

This has been happening fairly often - often enough to be annoying. Almost every time I import more than a few photos, at least one file won't survive the import process, at least not when I do it from within Lightroom. Fairly often, I'm able to copy the file directly from the SD card to a folder on my hard disk, and then import from that folder - and that works. But not always. Today it worked for only one of the five problem files. Today's photos were mainly test/practice shots and I didn't lose anything valuable. But in the past, well, I'm not sure.

The five files that wouldn't import today were all from the middle of the shoot. Four of the five files were consecutive pairs, that is, if the files were numbered 001 to 100, the ones that didn't import were numbered
027
044 and 045
059 and 060
I'm stumped. Don't know whether it's the camera, Adobe Lightroom, my computer, or what. Any suggestions?

By the way, I have and use three different cards: a Transcend 150x 2GB card, a SanDisk Extreme III 2 GB card, and a Kingston 1 GB card. It was the SanDisk card that had problems today, but I've had problems with the others as well. I format the cards in the camera - usually by simply erasing all the images (rather than by using the Format option in the Menu).

Will
08-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #44
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 44
QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
I've been having what seems to be a similar problem when attempting to open PEF files in ACR & Lightroom.

In ACR/Photoshop it says "could not complete your request because the file-format module couldn't parse the file", and in Lightroom there is a "caution" triangle in the upper right hand corner of the image in the Grid layout, and when I click the triangle it says "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo." The image looks blurry and pixelated. Aperture is also not able to open the files.

This happened with images in three different recent shoots. Not all of the images from each shoot, just a few. I was shooting RAW (PEF) + JPEG in the first shoot, and RAW (PEF) in the second and third.

In all cases my camera was on a tripod pointed at a 45 degree angle downward. Someone at dpreviews had a similar problem and suggested turning off the in-camera rotation, which solved it for him. I did turn it off, but continue to have the same problem. It's consistent on every shoot.

I have formatted my Lexar 133x 4 GB card. I plug the Lexar provided SDHC reader directly into the USB 2.0 port on my Mac G5.

I'm just wondering if the original poster ever resolved the problem? Did you send your camera in? Mine is still under the return policy window (bought it from Amazon) so I'm seriously considering just ordering a new one and sending this one back. Amazon has an excellent return policy and if this is a camera issue I just don't want to deal with sending it in to Pentax.
I too got a Lexar SDHC 133x 4GB card when I first got my K10D, if worked fine for about a day then funny problems would appear, the camera would complain about memory card error, but the computer can still read/write to the card using a card reader. Sometime it would work ok after using the camera to format it, but the problem will always come back. I then borrow a friend's SD card and it worked fine, so I returned the card and got a couple OCZ 150x 2 GBs. They given me no problems so far.
08-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #45
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346
Well, I'm not sure how this complicates the problem, but I've discovered that the "unreadable" PEF files are actually readable in the Pentax Photo Laboratory and Silkypix.

I don't know what this indicates though in terms of whether the problem is with the camera, card, reader or RAW software. Can we rule out the card since PPL and Silkypix can read it? If so, it means there's some communication problem between Aperture and ACR/LR & certain PEF files.

Some have reported that shooting in DNG solves the problem, but those files are so much bigger and take up so much more space on the hard drive.

I'll tell you, it's been a rocky road since I got my K10D. There are so many things I love about the Pentax system so far, but I've spent so many hours troubleshooting already instead of taking pictures. That is not endearing me to this camera.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, card, dslr, file, files, five, folder, gb, import, lightroom, photography, sandisk, sd
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to batch rename files after files imported and tagged in Photoshop Elements raider Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 5 03-14-2013 10:36 PM
Card locked error no card fault Lighthunter Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 08-24-2009 01:42 PM
Tamron build differences usa or imported? metroeloise Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 10-25-2008 09:40 AM
card reader corrupting Pentax raw files? Douglas_of_Sweden Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 05-04-2008 01:56 AM
Grey import lens vs fully imported lens raider Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 08-15-2007 05:20 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top