Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2007, 07:19 PM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
Well, I'm not sure how this complicates the problem, but I've discovered that the "unreadable" PEF files are actually readable in the Pentax Photo Laboratory and Silkypix.

I don't know what this indicates though in terms of whether the problem is with the camera, card, reader or RAW software. Can we rule out the card since PPL and Silkypix can read it? If so, it means there's some communication problem between Aperture and ACR/LR & certain PEF files.

Some have reported that shooting in DNG solves the problem, but those files are so much bigger and take up so much more space on the hard drive.

I'll tell you, it's been a rocky road since I got my K10D. There are so many things I love about the Pentax system so far, but I've spent so many hours troubleshooting already instead of taking pictures. That is not endearing me to this camera.
I have been using PS CS3 and have not encounter any issues with PEF raw file format, as I shoot purely in RAW.
Let me tell you, I too have had a number of issues with either the camera or the lenses! First was the hot/dead pixels that I needed to bring the camera in for service to get it remapped, then when I got my second lense (DA 50-200mm), after about an hour shooting test shot with it, the auto focus broke! But I was able to return it and do a over the count exchange for another one, which worked fine so far (knock on wood!!). Then my first lense (DA 16-45mm) somehow lost it aperture control spring, so it no longer have any aperture control. I had to bring it to the Pentax service depot to get it fixed. Lastly I just recently notice a tiny dark spot on all my images that have a light background in that area. It don't matter which lense I use, the spot will always remain in the same area. So I spend about $90 getting a bunch of senor cleaning solution, think it was some dust stuck on the senor, but no luck! Looks like I'll have to bring the camera in to the service depot for the third time!!
But even with all the troubles I had, I still love my K10D and hoping bad luck comes in three only!

08-09-2007, 07:21 PM   #47
Veteran Member

BTW, are SDHC cards more prone to problems than the lower capacity 2 GB cards? If I get a new card, should I just stick with the 2 GB capacity?
08-09-2007, 07:40 PM   #48

I am not sure and don't want to pass judgment based on just my own experience with only 1 SDHC card, If I had to guess, it maybe the combination of SDHC format and a high speed card (133x) that can cause card failure, as I don't see much high speed SDHC cards available from all the different flash memory manufactors. For my own peace of mind I got two 2GB cards so if one of the card did fail I won't loose as much images as if I had a larger size card fail on me. Also the two 2GB cards in total price was cheaper than the one 4 GB SDHC card and even shooting in RAW mode, I can still get around 150-160 images on one 2GB card, which for me is good enough.
08-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #49

I've tried to keep using a buggy card like that, where it would occasionally generate faulty RAW files. One day it crashed, and I had to run a recovery program to get back a hundred photos from one days' shooting.

I learned my lesson. If you suspect the card and not the software or the readers, pitch it. Cards are cheap. Getting a second chance at a photo may not be cheap. If the next card does it, then you got issues.

08-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Well, I've done some more research and learned that SDHC cards are not as reliable as the 2 GB cards. So rather than take chances, since I'm still well within the return window, I'm just going to return the 4 GB card and pick up (2) 2 GB cards. They're a bit faster anyways. Thanks to everyone for your help.
08-10-2007, 07:19 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Switters/Ricehigh buyback program

Oh, you better believe that--we've had to read/listen to your litany of complaints since day one!

I've got two K10d's, a K100d and and *ist-d. ALL HAVE PERFORMED FLAWLESSLY SINCE I REMOVED THEM FROM THE BOX AND PUT BATTERIES IN. I've made thousands of excellent exposure with and without dedicated flash attached. I've made more thousands of dollars to prove it!

Have you tried adjusting the NUT behind the viewfinder?

I say we take a collection and offer to buy Switters K10 for say 70% of MSRP--same with Ricehigh. With the stipulation that they never buy another Pentax device as long as they live!

Then we donate the K10's to some poor student of photography who might appreciate it/them.

I'm sure I could spare $50.00 for the fund...

QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
Well, I'm not sure how this complicates the problem, but I've discovered that the "unreadable" PEF files are actually readable in the Pentax Photo Laboratory and Silkypix.

I don't know what this indicates though in terms of whether the problem is with the camera, card, reader or RAW software. Can we rule out the card since PPL and Silkypix can read it? If so, it means there's some communication problem between Aperture and ACR/LR & certain PEF files.

Some have reported that shooting in DNG solves the problem, but those files are so much bigger and take up so much more space on the hard drive.

I'll tell you, it's been a rocky road since I got my K10D. There are so many things I love about the Pentax system so far, but I've spent so many hours troubleshooting already instead of taking pictures. That is not endearing me to this camera.
08-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #52

I had similar problem in the past. It was traced down to the card reader. I used to take the card out of the camera and import pictures via card reader in order to save battery juice. Lightroom(and even straight copying) would fail on random files. When I tried importing directly from camera, ALL files were imported successfully! I've been using camera to import images ever since. 5000 pictures later, import success rate is 100% with camera import.

Steve
P.S. I have been using the same 2GB card since I bought the camera.