Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
mirror fell off on my k10D

Hi, George,

The mirror fell off the k10D during my last trip to Asia. Lucky I brought my backup K100D with me. The k10D was repaired before I went on vacation for mirror seating mechanism. It was quite possible that the mirror was not glued back on securely. Anyway, it gave a funny sound when I was in the middle of a shot - something came off inside and when I took the lens off the mirror came off the seating.

The k10D is now repaired and since it was still under warranty, there is no charge. The actuation count is about 27000.

The reason for the first repair was the mirror seating need adjustment. I had both the k10D and the DA* 16-50mm in for exposure problem.

06-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is there a particular reason for shutters in DSLRs? Wouldn't the design be a little more reliable if the shutter was done digitally or is there some reason that you can only achieve certain photographic results with a physical shutter?
06-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Yes, dSLRs do. Most compacts don't, but then again, they don't have mirrors either.

The order from front to back goes lens, mirror, shutter (front and back curtains) and then sensor.
Here's a good link to see how it works: Jeffrey Friedl’s Blog Blog Archive Nikon D3 Shutter Release in Super Slow Motion
Great link... thanks for sharing

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Is there a particular reason for shutters in DSLRs? Wouldn't the design be a little more reliable if the shutter was done digitally or is there some reason that you can only achieve certain photographic results with a physical shutter?
Basing it on the video posted above, I can imagine if there's no shutter (by that I assume you mean the curtains), there will be wayyy more dust on the sensor. It's bad enough as it is I'd say.
06-29-2009, 06:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just for fun, you might give this page a gander...

You already own a shutter tester

06-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
Just for fun, you might give this page a gander...

You already own a shutter tester
but where can I get a CRT? It does, however give some intersting ideas on comparative shutter performance, slit width, and traversing speed, as a function of camera and shutter type.

Seriously though, my K10D has gone back to pentax for repair. so I am now left with only the *istD for the moment, and a real serious thought about getting the K7