Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #1

K200d freezes up while using

Just recently I began having a little difficultly with my K200d freezing up...

Situation:
I'm snapping along... sometimes many in fast repetition (as fast as it will allow) sometimes one shot at a time... and the camera will not allow me to keep shooting.

The first time it happened, the mirror stayed up, but the shutter was not open. It usually makes noises (similar to the lens hunting for focus... but not quite).

Other times the mirror was not up.

I can review past images while it does not work so the batteries are not totally dead.

With freshly recharged Eneloop batteries (4 in camera + 4 in battery grip) I got only 230 photos taken before I had it happen today.

If I turn it off and take the batteries out it usually resets so I can continue. sometimes it takes a minute or two to work again, other times it takes longer than 5 minutes.

I tried turning off Auto Focus, turning off and turning back on... waiting thinking it was still loading the card with photos, etc. without luck.

The first time it happened I figured it may have been the high heat and humidity, but it has happened on days that are not as hot and humid, too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Dave

06-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dave, this has happened to me before too, although only twice; both times it was with the same lens (the D-FA 100 Macro) and both times while the camera was taking a picture, so the mirror was still up, like the first time it happened to you. I was in the middle of a wedding the first time (primary shooter) so I did not investigate what else I could do - I just changed out batteries quickly and prayed that that would work. It did, thankfully.

The second time I changed batteries quickly too and the problem stopped. That was a year ago, and it hasn't happened since. I used the same batteries - Sanyo Eneloops - during that past year as well, so I don't know why it happened those two times, except that during the first for sure, I was taking lots of snaps, almost without pause.

So, in summary, it's happened to me, but I don't know why

By the way, at the time I was living in the middle of swamp country in Gainesville, Florida, so we have high heat and humidity...of course, we had that the rest of the year as well...
06-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Dave, after reading your description, I'm wondering if it may be something to do with the buffer or possibly an overheating problem.
06-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K200d freezes up while using

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Dave, after reading your description, I'm wondering if it may be something to do with the buffer or possibly an overheating problem.
I agree with the buffer part. My K200D with freezes when take multiple picture in shotgun mode. Even with an Extreme III card it still take time to clear the buffer and the camera freezes while the buffer is being written to the card. Haven't had the mirror lockup though.

06-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, all of you...
It was definitely more than the buffer time... I've gotten used to that. This was beyond the buffer time, but may have been caused by overheating or something, or maybe too much shooting at one time.

It definitely does not make me happy...

Again, thanks for your suggestions and input.
06-29-2009, 02:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInGR Quote
Thanks, all of you...
It was definitely more than the buffer time... I've gotten used to that. This was beyond the buffer time, but may have been caused by overheating or something, or maybe too much shooting at one time.

It definitely does not make me happy...

Again, thanks for your suggestions and input.
This sounds exactly like what I experienced on sunday, as reported in the following thread :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/64723-my-k200d-let-me-down-today.html

I couldn't afford to wait 5 minutes to see if the camera would unlock. I took out the battery and the reset did the trick.

Edit: reading this again, it is not exactly like my problem. In my case, no switches were operating. Including the on/off button on the camera. I could not review picture. The top LCD display display was frozen. Nothing on the back LCD.

Last edited by madbrain; 06-29-2009 at 06:22 PM.