Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 40 jpeg buffer enough?

just a personal question to you guys if the K-7's 40 jpeg buffer is sufficient enough for your needs?

I'm asking this in correlation to SDHC read/write speed which could affect the burst shot speed performance of the K-7. the necessity for a 30MB/s r/w memory card or not?

Personally, I was contemplating of whether I should still get a faster memory card that would optimize the shooting capacity of the K-7 or will any existing class 6 with an average of 10MB/s r/w memory card would be sufficient enough to do that?

is there a high possibility that the writing card would lag behind after some pauses or would it take only a few seconds to recover?

lastly, do you think that you need to shoot more than 40 jpegs?

as for me, the 40 jpegs would be enough as I wouldn't kept on shooting on scenes that aren't necessary or just timed my shots when it's necessary to take. saving you more battery life, memory card space and set-up shots when needed. I think that a 10MB r/w memory card to save those once in a lifetime shot, eh?

06-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I've never shot anywhere near that amount in a burst. How fast does it finish writing the buffer though?

My 50D with UDMA card (measured at around 30 meg/sec) can shoot around 90 jpegs before slowing down (6.3fps), which is cool, but the impressive part is the speed with which it clears the buffer. If the buffer clears slowly it doesn't take a 40 jpeg burst to get into trouble, just shooting fast and frequent.
06-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I've never shot anywhere near that amount in a burst. How fast does it finish writing the buffer though?

My 50D with UDMA card (measured at around 30 meg/sec) can shoot around 90 jpegs before slowing down (6.3fps), which is cool, but the impressive part is the speed with which it clears the buffer. If the buffer clears slowly it doesn't take a 40 jpeg burst to get into trouble, just shooting fast and frequent.
seems that is the ideal solution for the jpeg burst speed. I guess it's the same with the RAW which has a bigger file size. the buffer clearance is somewhat a concern if one is shooting above 40 jpegs or 14 RAWs on action photography. but that is still an enigma since I haven't tried doing that myself yet. the max jpeg burst shot that I did was only 20 jpegs. on a normal burst shooting, 6 jpegs is a standard.

I guess there is no need for a much faster SDHC card then and a class 6 would do the job for both pictures and video recording.
06-28-2009, 02:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
40 is enough for me. My highest count on the K20D would probably be around 5. Though it may go up with a faster frame rate.

06-28-2009, 03:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I shoot max 2 second bursts, so 10 would be enough for me
06-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Often I shoot only a few shots in a row then review them instantly. It is the time that it took the camera to playback the shots that matter most. If the buffer must be cleared b4 playback, it will be mighty annoying for heavy shooters.