Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2007, 08:57 PM   #1

Firmware Update Questions

Hi all, I have downloaded the most recent firmware update for the K10D, as well as the one for the ist*DS. I was reading some previous posts about some problems with the update and the consequences as a result. Prior to installing these updates I was just curious to know wether or not you guys out there update the firmware regulary. I certainly cannot afford for something to go wrong and as a result be without my camera's for a while.

What is your experience with firmware updates? Are things going wrong as a result of not following instructions and/or are these isolated incidents?

Secondly, I have yet to do an update since I bought the camera in January so will 1.20 include everything that was in 1.10 & 1.11 or do i need to download each update in order to get all the fixes and adjustments.

Your feedback is appreciated,

switch79.

04-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by switch79 Quote
Hi all, I have downloaded the most recent firmware update for the K10D, as well as the one for the ist*DS. I was reading some previous posts about some problems with the update and the consequences as a result. Prior to installing these updates I was just curious to know wether or not you guys out there update the firmware regulary. I certainly cannot afford for something to go wrong and as a result be without my camera's for a while.

What is your experience with firmware updates? Are things going wrong as a result of not following instructions and/or are these isolated incidents?

Secondly, I have yet to do an update since I bought the camera in January so will 1.20 include everything that was in 1.10 & 1.11 or do i need to download each update in order to get all the fixes and adjustments.

switch79.
I am running update 1.2 and all is ok. The firmware is an entity that includes all functionality, enhancements and fixes to that version date, no need to update previous versions prior to the latest version.

It is impossible to retro update back to a previous version however, but I see no need for that.
04-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by switch79 Quote

switch79.
There are a small number of isolated failures with firmware updates--these will typically require a trip to the service shop.

Charge the batteries fully. Reformat a quality SD card in the camera then transfer the update to the card from your PC via a card reader or a cable--any method is fine. The file must be in the root directory.

Follow the instructions for starting the update; start the update and hold the camera quietly or set in down on a firm surface. Do not push any buttons beyond what the instructions specify. Relax, it takes a couple minutes, the card busy light will blink rapidly when it is done and the screen will have a confirmation message (this has been known to not appear in some models early in the production). Turn camera off, remove card, turn camera on and do the version check.

I've done it each time a new version has released for five different dSLRs--never a hitch!
04-30-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
PDL
Pentaxian

I have updated my K10D to 1.20 - no issues - but a little clarification. When you have the formated SD card conneted to your camera - copy only the FWDC162B.BIN file to the card. There was an individual on Stevesforums who copied the executable to the SD card and could not figure out why the firmware would not update.

As stated in the instructions - Pentax is not responsible for users mucking up the update - make sure your battery is just off the charger and do not touch the camera during the update as stated in the above post.

All firmware updates are cumulative.

What I do - is after the firmware is updated - I turn the camera off - Turn the camera on and format the card. Then I turn off the camera and use the same method to validate the version. Turn the camera on while holding down the menu button - reasonably easy thing to do.
Do not mix up the version of firmware by model - heaven only knows what would happen.

I have been through 1.0 - 2.02 on the *ist Ds and 1.0 - 1.2 on the K10D - no problems yet.

PDL

05-01-2007, 04:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Funny you should ask...

...I almost posted saying that I'd just updated my K100 (finally!) without a hitch, because the only posts on the subject are about the disasters, and I thought maybe it would help others leery of updating. It seemed a bit of a lightbulb post, though (see photo_mom's thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/6278-how-many-forum-members-...ight-bulb.html) so I didn't bother. So - after months of staring at the update file on my desktop and not having the nerve, I charged up a set of batteries, followed the directions to the letter, and had absolutely no problem. If I hadn't checked the version, I'd swear it hadn't updated because it retained all my settings. I think the disasters are very rare, it's just they're the only updating experience you ever hear about!

Julie
05-01-2007, 04:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
Yeah all went well with the update. Must admit though that after charging the battery I got side tracked and forgot to change with the battery already in there. The heart rate jumped several beats for about a minute, but in the end all was fine.

One thing I did notice was that on the Pentax site update 1.10 said "Green Button function in M mode is available at TAv mode (Hyper manual). This has been the only thing i've attempted from the updates.

I tried this, with a couple of lenses, using the apature ring and all - nothing happened but worked in M mode fine as it should. My understanding is that these updates include all features from the previous one. Any answers or am I doing something wrong.

Cheers,
switch79
05-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have installed every istDs firmware update and never had a problem, and they sure made the camera better with the udates!

05-02-2007, 11:05 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi!
Lastly I have bought *istD on eBay, (from Cameda Camera), new in box, with the first firmware 1.0. Was reluctant to upgrade, but without it camera works with the Pentax M lens only in open aperture mode. Have download last firmware 1.12 and update it without of problems. There was minor troubles with loading soft to the CF card through card reader, but it was fault of my computer. I have three computers at home, and on the second all was OK.
05-03-2007, 04:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Have always applied firmware updates as they are released. That is, except for the previous K10D version. Didn't want to give up the ability to modify the lens focus parameters for which the debug mode entry sequence was leaked. Decided that I really didn't need that capability and wanted Remote Assistant, so applied the latest patch.

Never had a problem (DS, K100D, K10D). Just make sure the batteries are not near depletion, and follow directions 'to the letter'.