Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K200D self timer question

I was a little annoyed to find that SR is disabled when using the self timer (as well as remote). Anyway to overide this unfortunate shortfall? I fear I already know the answer, but it's worth asking. On just about every camera I own, I use the self timer to help settle myself on longer exposures. Do others find this frustrating?

06-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't say I've ever considered using the timer while handholding the camera, nor can I see much point to it - especially in a world with SR. SR is disabled with the timer because the assumtpion is that the timer is for tripod use, not handheld use.
06-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, a lot of motion can occurr pressing the shutter (especially on a lighter camera). Therefore you hit the shutter, compose yourself/hold your breath and wait two seconds. Then the shake reduction can help any slight movements when the shutter fires. Pretty common practice for me (and I don't think I'm alone...maybe I am).
06-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joeyc Quote
Well, a lot of motion can occurr pressing the shutter (especially on a lighter camera). Therefore you hit the shutter, compose yourself/hold your breath and wait two seconds. Then the shake reduction can help any slight movements when the shutter fires. Pretty common practice for me (and I don't think I'm alone...maybe I am).
If you use the 2 second delay, the mirror goes up at the time you press the shutter release. Most, if not all, the shake in the camera is due to the mirror, not the shutter which is very light.

06-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess what I'm saying is, it might be common practice on cameras with no SR, but it's really not when you have SR. I'm not saying it couldn't perhaps provide some tiny advantage, but it would be pretty darned small compared to the advantage you get just from using SR with a normal shutter release. As for the mirror slap, it's the *return* of the mirror that causes most of the vibration you feel, and that happens *after* the picture has been taken.

So anyhow, sure, sounds like it could potentially be useful to allow SR with timer, but I think the advantage would be far less than you imagine comapred to simply using SR with normal release.
06-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
If you use the 2 second delay, the mirror goes up at the time you press the shutter release. Most, if not all, the shake in the camera is due to the mirror, not the shutter which is very light.
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I guess what I'm saying is, it might be common practice on cameras with no SR, but it's really not when you have SR. I'm not saying it couldn't perhaps provide some tiny advantage, but it would be pretty darned small compared to the advantage you get just from using SR with a normal shutter release. As for the mirror slap, it's the *return* of the mirror that causes most of the vibration you feel, and that happens *after* the picture has been taken.

So anyhow, sure, sounds like it could potentially be useful to allow SR with timer, but I think the advantage would be far less than you imagine comapred to simply using SR with normal release.
Thanks guys. I realize it is the mirror slap which causes most of the shake when depressing the shutter, but there is also some slight movement from the actual depression (more so on lighter cameras, less on those with some 'mass' to them).

I didn't do any testing or comparison shots, but it just struck me as a little odd when I read it in the manual. I can understand the assumption that if you are using the timer or remote, the camera is most likely on a tripod/support - I would just rather be able to manually control when SR is on or off. Oh well, I guess I have to get away from my old Olympus ways.