Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Pentaxian
eccs19's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lisle, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,464
*istD metering issue

Well maybe not an issue, but not sure.

A few weeks ago I had an issues with the camera not responding correctly, and just not working. When I finally got it working, all seemed OK minus this one issue. I'm not sure if just some setting in the menu got messed up, or if I've got another issue.

When I'm using my Takumar lenses, if I've got it in AV mode, I get a different shutter speed showing up between the view finder, and the display on top of the camera. The one that shows up in the view finder seems accurate, but the one on top seems to read way to fast. (If I remember correctly) I have to switch it to manual, and dial the speed in correctly. Also if I'm in manual, and I use the green button, it sometimes doesn't seem to meter correctly either, it seems hit and miss. Any ideas?

06-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,435
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Well maybe not an issue, but not sure.

A few weeks ago I had an issues with the camera not responding correctly, and just not working. When I finally got it working, all seemed OK minus this one issue. I'm not sure if just some setting in the menu got messed up, or if I've got another issue.

When I'm using my Takumar lenses, if I've got it in AV mode, I get a different shutter speed showing up between the view finder, and the display on top of the camera. The one that shows up in the view finder seems accurate, but the one on top seems to read way to fast. (If I remember correctly) I have to switch it to manual, and dial the speed in correctly. Also if I'm in manual, and I use the green button, it sometimes doesn't seem to meter correctly either, it seems hit and miss. Any ideas?
I'll have to check my D but when you remove your eye from the viewfinder (like to look at top lcd) light leaks in through the eyepiece. Will change the metering..
06-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian
eccs19's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lisle, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,464
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I'll have to check my D but when you remove your eye from the viewfinder (like to look at top lcd) light leaks in through the eyepiece. Will change the metering..
I would expect a bit of change, but it's more than just a bit. Viewfinder will read 250, and top panel will read 2000 or higher.
06-30-2009, 06:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,435
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I would expect a bit of change, but it's more than just a bit. Viewfinder will read 250, and top panel will read 2000 or higher.
W bright backlighting mine can go from .5 to 1/15th sec. 2000 seems a bit high.
Could be a malfunction though. some DS's had the metering panel come loose from the prism causing major errors. Have you replaced the little lithium battery in the bottom yet? istD does have a "backup" battery, unlike any other Pentax DSLR.

06-30-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,400
I have 2 observations

first of all, are you sure when you take your eye from the viewfinder and look at the top display, the camera is pointed in the same direction?

second comment one reply shows a change from .5 sec to 1/15 with back lighting, this is 3 stops.

1/250 to 1/2000 is also 3 stops, so 1/2000 is not excessive, it is the same as what someone else measured
06-30-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian
eccs19's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lisle, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,464
Original Poster
Definitely pointing in the same direction. (tripod)

Next time I notice this happen, I'll cover the eye piece and see if it brings it back down. The thing is that I never noticed this issue prior to when I had the camera lock up on me, so I thought that in itself was kind of fishy. I'll change the small battery as jeffkrol suggested. I've never done it, so it can't hurt anyways.



QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have 2 observations

first of all, are you sure when you take your eye from the viewfinder and look at the top display, the camera is pointed in the same direction?

second comment one reply shows a change from .5 sec to 1/15 with back lighting, this is 3 stops.

1/250 to 1/2000 is also 3 stops, so 1/2000 is not excessive, it is the same as what someone else measured
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, finder, issue, photography, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spotmatic F Metering Issue Periodista Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 09-22-2010 04:18 PM
Help - Metering issue neoyoda Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 09-18-2010 12:52 PM
ZX-M metering issue LMRacing Pentax Film SLR Discussion 5 09-13-2009 07:41 PM
Issue with *istD eccs19 Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 06-22-2009 02:33 PM
*istD and stop-down metering pocky Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 06-20-2009 01:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top