Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Will The K7 Sell?

I'm sure no one here will really no the answer, but I need to get this off my chest anyhow. I contacted Ikelite, one of the leading consumer underwater camera housing makers to see if they planned on creating a housing for the K7. This was their reply:

QuoteQuote:
In the past we haven't seen enough customer demand for the support Pentax dSLR cameras for us to invest in the development of a new housing. We do keep an eye on new models from all manufacturers however.

So the best answer is that I don't expect us to offer a housing for it. However that could change if there seems to be a significant increase in demand over previous models.
It is frustrating not being able to find an underwater case for these cameras! Their were a couple for the K10D, but they were discountiued and the companies didn't even bother with cases for the K20D.

So, will the K7 break Pentax out of the underdog segment and make people start taking them serious? I mean, Ikelite makes housings for Fuji, Sony, and Olympus dSLRS - Who the hell has those? Does FUJI outsell Pentax?? Good grief...

06-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Is Pentax Competition?

QuoteOriginally posted by Bubbabob Quote
So, will the K7 break Pentax out of the underdog segment and make people start taking them serious? I mean, Ikelite makes housings for Fuji, Sony, and Olympus dSLRS - Who the hell has those? Does FUJI outsell Pentax?? Good grief...
Does this company make underwater housings for P&S's? If so, Pentax is a competitor as they make waterproof P&S's.
06-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm not sure what you're saying. Pentax's 'waterproof' cameras can't compare to a case rated for 150ft+ (~45m) depths.
06-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wouldn't hurt for those that want one to ask them when they plan on shipping for the K7.... Contact Ikelite

06-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bubbabob Quote
Sony and Olympus outsell Pentax. Fuji use Nikon body and Nikon definitely outsells Pentax
06-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not easy to go up against marketing titans like Nikon and Canon. Especially even more so now that Sony has entered the fray....the camera upstart is catching up very quickly with the big names with aggressive marketing and branding campaigns.

If see by features, not a lot Pentax can offer that Sony does not have other then pancake lenses. A lot of people are waiting to see the A700`s replacement and Samsung is already in the works for a powered up version of the K7 which may have dual SDHC and CF memory slots. The Sony A900 is already so damn affordable.
06-30-2009, 03:35 AM   #7
Inactive Account

It's annoyed me, but Pentax seems to be a black hole for dive housings.

06-30-2009, 06:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know that will sell.
06-30-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

BubbaBob you could try this custom housing outfit The Sexton Photographic.

The pricing is going to be higher but they will custom fit the housing to your favorite lenses.

What might bring down the cost at Sexton is if you can find other K-7 owners who would also want an underwater housing.

I don't think it will be a matter of whether the K-7 sells enough as it will be enough K-7 owners wanting housings.
06-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fortunately for the K10D there was an alternative product tested by Mark D and provided by SPL

They may do the same for the K7.

bazz.
07-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Flickr usage

I noticed that there are more K10D users on Flickr than K20D users ... and it seems to me that the greatest enthusiasm for the K-7 is coming from K10D owners.

Did the K10D outsell the K20D? Are Pentax owners likely to skip one cycle when upgrading? In the absence of any real data, I'd say that answering "yes" to both these questions seems plausible.

Moreover, it seems to me that the K-7 has attracted quite a bit of interest from people who have bought into other systems.

Unless the K-7 gets some disastrous reviews or some other manufacturer pulls a rabbit out of the hat, it looks like Pentax are on to a winner.
07-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If there would be more users of this in the colders regions or those that go on mountaineering a lot in the alps, then definitely, this would be a winner!
07-01-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
Fortunately for the K10D there was an alternative product tested by Mark D and provided by SPL

bazz.
Tooling around on the surface does not equal diving at ten atmospheres...though I have been tempted to knock something up myself.
07-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
Inactive Account

bazz.
Tooling around on the surface does not equal diving at ten atmospheres...though I have been tempted to knock something up myself.
07-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #15

bazz.

I definitely skipped the K20D and plan on upgrading directly to the K7.
I was starting to finally think seriously about getting a K20D when the K7 was announced, and I am super excited about the video, live view, and auto-HDR capabilities of the K7.