Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
handled a K-7 today

For those of you outside Japan, I handled a K-7 today and think it's worth the hype. By far the top DSLR I've ever handled for build quality. Weight and handling felt just right to me, even with a zoom lens attached. The layout of the controls was very good, I was able to sort everything out in no time. The rear screen was *gorgeous*, it's incredible what they can do these days -- even the live view was impressive. The top LCD has a really good backlight. Shutter sound was far removed from my *istDS. The flash pops up quite a surprising distance from the camera body and does so nearly silently. The viewfinder was straightforward, but didn't leap out at me as being a big step above my *istDS. The dedicated ISO button was great.

Any quibbles... I popped off the rubberized cover for the A/C jack and had to try three times to get it back on. I've never liked the Olympus-style rear LCD full of current shooting info, but Pentax has adopted it (perhaps just the setting someone had left it on). The menu goes to pages and pages. All of these are minor.

Just my two cents, but I was very impressed. This camera feels like a step up for Pentax.

06-30-2009, 05:46 AM   #2

Can we get some thoughts on the supposedly improved AF. Havnt seen much, if any, talk about it from the early adopters of the production models. Anyone?
06-30-2009, 06:36 AM   #3

I just sold my K20D and will buy the K-7 the only thing that might bug me is that you have to get in the menu to turn on the SR function but that probably wont be that big of a deal
06-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Will you guys stop talking about the K7...? I want one and you're just making me feel bad

06-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. B Quote
Will you guys stop talking about the K7...? I want one and you're just making me feel bad
You should pity that K10 that you have on the sig instead... I think he feels you are not the same anymore since K-7 announcement

Last edited by Andi Lo; 06-30-2009 at 05:14 PM.
06-30-2009, 04:31 PM   #6

Nice! I can't wait. I should be getting my K7 Monday - Wednesday next week.
06-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
I just sold my K20D and will buy the K-7 the only thing that might bug me is that you have to get in the menu to turn on the SR function but that probably wont be that big of a deal
The SR is ON by default, so its no issue for most people.
I've seen camera user surveys which show that most people will leave the SR /IS / VR etc on unless they have a special reason to turn it off.

If you shoot on a tripod with the 2 second timer delay, bulb mode or remote control; the camera turns off the SR anyway and restores it later, so I've hardly ever found the need to manually turn off the SR.

06-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #8
Forum Member

I only want to know how fast it focus....
Does it focus at the same speed the K20 does?
Can it follow a high speed object and still take pictures or does it loose it like the K20?

If its fast...perfect. Thats my next buy
07-01-2009, 03:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bentax Quote
Can we get some thoughts on the supposedly improved AF. Havnt seen much, if any, talk about it from the early adopters of the production models. Anyone?
I had another look at it today, comparing notes with another photographer friend. The autofocus was shockingly fast. I made a point of putting the 21mm Ltd on the body and was blown away by how quick the autofocus was. By comparison, I stopped using that lens altogether after only a matter of a few months because of problems with the autofocus on the *istDS. Now I know that it's the camera, not the lens.

I did manage to baffle the autofocus by rapidly moving back and forth between two points on a nearby glossy surface but then again that's pretty esoteric. With normal shooting range and circumstances it did very well.

Oh, and the fast shooting speed really caught our attention. "That's RAW?" we both exclaimed when I'd been blasting away while testing the autofocus.

Like I say, it's an impressive piece of work. I'm keen to see what Pentax does next.
07-01-2009, 04:05 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
You should pity that K10 that you have on the sig instead... I think he feels you are not the same anymore since K-7 announcement
Well, I won't cheat on him. Besides, he's not with me right now and he doesn't know anything about this.
07-01-2009, 04:26 AM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by babelphotos Quote
I only want to know how fast it focus....
Does it focus at the same speed the K20 does?
Can it follow a high speed object and still take pictures or does it loose it like the K20?

If its fast...perfect. Thats my next buy
It's on other threads, with sound evidence, that the K-7 focuses significantly faster than the K20D. I'm sure you'll find it a considerable step up from the K20D in every aspect.
07-01-2009, 06:48 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The SR is ON by default, so its no issue for most people.
I've seen camera user surveys which show that most people will leave the SR /IS / VR etc on unless they have a special reason to turn it off.

If you shoot on a tripod with the 2 second timer delay, bulb mode or remote control; the camera turns off the SR anyway and restores it later, so I've hardly ever found the need to manually turn off the SR.
Thats great but how does the camera know when to turn it off? and how about when you have a fast shutter speed in good weather i heard that if you have any type of SR function on that it could blur your image.