Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10D Protection against salt water environment

Hello all,
I will be taking quite a few photos at sail boat races (as a crew member) this summer with my K10D and a DA*16-50 lens.
I know Pentax claims this system is water resistant. I have a few ideas but I just want to make sure I look after it properly during those sessions and clean it accordingly.
Do you guys have some good recommendations from past experience?
Thanks for your help.
Richard

06-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
Hello all,
I will be taking quite a few photos at sail boat races (as a crew member) this summer with my K10D and a DA*16-50 lens.
I know Pentax claims this system is water resistant. I have a few ideas but I just want to make sure I look after it properly during those sessions and clean it accordingly.
Thanks for your help.
Richard
Every time you have a break between shifts on the winches, wipe the camera down with a cloth soaked in fresh water. I got a good solid whale tail splash on a KX with 55/1.8, and ignoring the families snickers, wiped it down with fresh water carefully, and it worked for several years afterward with no problems. I would not consider either the KX or the 55/1.8 weather resistant.
06-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rnovo Quote
Hello all,
Thanks for your help.
Richard
Both K10D and DA* lens are weather resistant.
However, I took pictures in rain (ok, not salty water), K200D with the kit lens, and both are working fine.
07-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I fell into a river, head first into the rocks, carrying my K10 with a kit lens, and my friends rescued me first.

Which was thoughtfull of them I suppose.

We both took a hell of a beating on the rocks and ended up in deep muddy water that a load of 4x4's had just driven through.

I had no clean water with me so I rinsed the worst of the mud off the camera with black sugarless coffee from my flask and continued shooting, the camera and lens survived and continue to work perfectly.

07-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I've shot around and on Salt water, The camera's been sprayed several times and cleaned it with fresh water. No problems. I've shot at least 6 weddings in the rain as well without issues.

Lloydy, have you got any pictures of that adventure and the muddy gear?
07-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I remember about 2 years ago someone posted pictures of a similar tumble and the resulting muddy camera. Quite impressive that the camera kept going without a hiccup.

I frequently shoot pictures onboard my sailboat and in / around the marina. OK, my camera hasn't gotten soaked yet, but there are absolutely no issues with it because of salt air.
07-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the answers... I had a hunch that the system was OK but I just wanted to make sure. I was told by this professional photographer, here in Nova Scotia, that he has had major problems with Canon when he found out that the mother board in his camera was all corroded from the salty environment while the camera was just out of warranty (one year!). Lets say this is one up for Pentax!
Thanks again to all.
Richard

07-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I think the question re: salt water relates more to the concern about the corrosive nature of the salt in the salt water on almost anything.

I fish a lot...fresh water...but note in my manuals for fishing reels and my outboard...that if these products are exposed to salt water that they should be washed off with fresh water.

In addition my outboard if used in salt water, besides having the outsides wiped down with fresh water, should also have the cooling system flushed with fresh water to get the corrosive salt water out of the cooling system passages, water pump and water jackets clear of salt residue.

So even though a K10D is water resistant...it's probably not salt resistant....I'd clean it off...very carefully and delicately with a damp cloth...then dry it with a soft , dry cloth.. if it's been exposed to salt water or salt spray.

Better yet call Pentax Canada and see what they suggest, before you do anything.