Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2009, 12:09 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hmm, what banding issues? I didn't see any when I had the K10D or K20D ...
You have to push ISO in post-processing to 25600 and beyond.

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Hi Frank, are the banding issues associated with k10D/K20D resolved with the K-7?
I looked into this but decided not to publish. This is at the extreme end and results may not apply to production batches. But yes, in my pre-production sample, banding was a non issue.

07-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
... camera brands have nothing to do with superior AF speed. it's a combination of the camera's auto-focus capability, lenses used, and the photographer's knowledge on focusing. so it doesn't matter if you're handling an Mk II, if a K20D user focuses faster than the Mk II. does that mean that the K20d's focusing is better than the MKII? again, it's about learning the ropes regarding focusing. you cannot judge which system is faster unless you've learned to maximize or reach the full potential of a camera's AF capability.
Can you please explain? I frequently miss shots with my K10D due to slow focus, and I'd love to find a tutorial or anything that will make me make my camera focus faster?
Much obliged!!
07-03-2009, 05:40 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
After playing the testing K7 for 2 weeks, I just couldn't get used to the K10D, not for the IQ but for the shutter. This along is worth the upgrade imo.
The shutter alone is worth spending 1200 pounds sterling? You must live in a different world from me!

Have fun with your new camera!
07-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
You have to push ISO in post-processing to 25600 and beyond.

I looked into this but decided not to publish. This is at the extreme end and results may not apply to production batches. But yes, in my pre-production sample, banding was a non issue.
As a photographer who just wants a tool to make great pictures, I hardly count it as a "problem" even if some banding did occur at such extreme post-processing.

07-04-2009, 02:47 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
As a photographer who just wants a tool to make great pictures, I hardly count it as a "problem" even if some banding did occur at such extreme post-processing.
You are quoting the wrong post.
I never used the word "problem" or classified it as such.
07-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #51
Veteran Member

As for banding, I am actually referring to the stripe(s) across the picture which seem to occur randomly even at low ISO for some k20Ds. I believe some users has reported this several times in this forum. Some say it is due to temperature, some say it is due to image processing thingy...I am not sure.

I am not bashing pentax...just would like some feedback from actual K-7 users before getting the K-7 myself later this year.

Thanks
07-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #52
Veteran Member

As for banding, I am actually referring to the stripe(s) across the picture which seem to occur randomly even at low ISO for some k20Ds.
Ah.
This isn't called banding.
It is called having a defect sensor and trouble-shooting ignorand Pentax support staff ...

I didn't have a defect sensor in my test K-7.

07-04-2009, 06:16 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Thanks falconeye for the feedback. I feel better now
07-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As for banding, I am actually referring to the stripe(s) across the picture which seem to occur randomly even at low ISO for some k20Ds.
That was a hardware issue w/ probably some bad parts on the circuit board or a bad sensor that was sensitive to temp. My K20D doesn't have this issue...
07-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #55

Did they use Tokina 16-50 2.8 to do the comparison?

QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
absolutely agree. a HK magazine used a DA* 16-50 to test and said it's a lot slower than Nikon's and Canon's.
I don't know whether DA* 16-50 is fast len or not.
If you use Canon's 85 1.2 to test, it's really sloooow and you can't said Canon's DSLR is very slow. you need to compare the AF speed with len + camera.
Did they use Tokina 16-50 2.8 to do the comparison? Would only seem natural to get better equal across the board comparison. Otherwise, if different type of lens then not a good comparison really.
07-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
auto-focus speed would also depend on lens speed and lighting condition. about comparing the K-7 which frank tested to be faster than the k20d,speaks in itself that the K-7 is really fast. camera brands have nothing to do with superior AF speed. it's a combination of the camera's auto-focus capability, lenses used, and the photographer's knowledge on focusing. so it doesn't matter if you're handling an Mk II, if a K20D user focuses faster than the Mk II. does that mean that the K20d's focusing is better than the MKII? again, it's about learning the ropes regarding focusing. you cannot judge which system is faster unless you've learned to maximize or reach the full potential of a camera's AF capability.
To me this sounds like a contradiction to your own statement. Yes, camera user can increase speed of AF. But you saying camera brands HAVE NOTHING to do with AF speed and then in the next statement saying it IS contributing factor to AF speed performance does not make sense (contradiction). Also, the lens used is also tied to camera brand (SDM vs. others, for example).

Maybe you meant to say that camera brands are often over emphasized as to contributing to AF speed. Still may get argument from many people.
07-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote
To me this sounds like a contradiction to your own statement. Yes, camera user can increase speed of AF. But you saying camera brands HAVE NOTHING to do with AF speed and then in the next statement saying it IS contributing factor to AF speed performance does not make sense (contradiction). Also, the lens used is also tied to camera brand (SDM vs. others, for example).

Maybe you meant to say that camera brands are often over emphasized as to contributing to AF speed. Still may get argument from many people.
that's what I meant. thank you for the correct vocabulary.
07-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Ah.
This isn't called banding.
It is called having a defect sensor and trouble-shooting ignorand Pentax support staff ...

I didn't have a defect sensor in my test K-7.
The K10D is well known to have vertical pattern noise, especially in deep shadows, at ISOs as low as 400. I have seen it numerous times from my own camera, which otherwise has excellent IQ. I am happy to hear that the K-7 does not have a banding problem.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 07-06-2009 at 09:28 AM.