Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2009, 03:19 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
I hope you will post review, main advantages and disadvantages
QuoteOriginally posted by planedriver Quote
how do you like the viewfinder?
These are pretty sad questions after Frank kept reporting and testing over the last month.

07-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That W80 is stealing some of the limelight from the K-7.
Looks like a good bit of kit.
Thanks for posting the pics.
07-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Frank, what can you tell me about the low-light (as in damn near dark) focus on the K7?

Does is lock relatively quickly.....or hunt back and forth without locking focus at all like the K20D? Does the focus assist lamp make this body a low-light (wedding in a dark church or nightclub) killer?
07-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #34
Forum Member

nice camera!!! congrats!!!
Please tell us more about auto-focus speed!

07-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Does the focus assist lamp make this body a low-light nightclub killer?
Yes. Green light will kill the people

Btw, find all your answers when reading my blog. It's all been tested throughout the past month. By frank, myself and some others.
07-02-2009, 07:43 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As Falk said, we've been doing tests for nearly a month. The production version isn't much different from the beta one, in all aspects. So just read Falk's blog, you'll see what the new K7 is capable of

To just answer some of your Qs, AF is definitely faster, especially w/ non-SDM lenses. It's much more decisive under low light. But this isn't the biggest thing to me. The biggest jump to me is: the super quiet shutter and much shorter shutter lag. You need to try it to see the difference, it's not like a Pentax camera in these regards, and I've used many Pentax cameras from early manual ones to the latest AF ones After playing the testing K7 for 2 weeks, I just couldn't get used to the K10D, not for the IQ but for the shutter. This along is worth the upgrade imo.
07-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Hi Frank, are the banding issues associated with k10D/K20D resolved with the K-7?

07-03-2009, 01:13 AM   #38
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
As Falk said, we've been doing tests for nearly a month. The production version isn't much different from the beta one, in all aspects. So just read Falk's blog, you'll see what the new K7 is capable of

To just answer some of your Qs, AF is definitely faster, especially w/ non-SDM lenses. It's much more decisive under low light. imo.
It sounds like: AF speed is ok, but still not fast enough, comparing to other big brands on a market Please correct me if I am wrong.
Personally I don't care about shutter noise, I can live with noise
AF speed is my biggest concern.
07-03-2009, 01:38 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grishazzz Quote
It sounds like: AF speed is ok, but still not fast enough, comparing to other big brands on a market Please correct me if I am wrong.
auto-focus speed would also depend on lens speed and lighting condition. about comparing the K-7 which frank tested to be faster than the k20d,speaks in itself that the K-7 is really fast. camera brands have nothing to do with superior AF speed. it's a combination of the camera's auto-focus capability, lenses used, and the photographer's knowledge on focusing. so it doesn't matter if you're handling an Mk II, if a K20D user focuses faster than the Mk II. does that mean that the K20d's focusing is better than the MKII? again, it's about learning the ropes regarding focusing. you cannot judge which system is faster unless you've learned to maximize or reach the full potential of a camera's AF capability.
07-03-2009, 05:52 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
auto-focus speed would also depend on lens speed and lighting condition. about comparing the K-7 which frank tested to be faster than the k20d,speaks in itself that the K-7 is really fast. camera brands have nothing to do with superior AF speed. it's a combination of the camera's auto-focus capability, lenses used, and the photographer's knowledge on focusing. so it doesn't matter if you're handling an Mk II, if a K20D user focuses faster than the Mk II. does that mean that the K20d's focusing is better than the MKII? again, it's about learning the ropes regarding focusing. you cannot judge which system is faster unless you've learned to maximize or reach the full potential of a camera's AF capability.
absolutely agree. a HK magazine used a DA* 16-50 to test and said it's a lot slower than Nikon's and Canon's.
I don't know whether DA* 16-50 is fast len or not.
If you use Canon's 85 1.2 to test, it's really sloooow and you can't said Canon's DSLR is very slow. you need to compare the AF speed with len + camera.
07-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #41
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Thanks again guys
I'm afraid I can't. You'll get one in your K-7 box
why not? is it a problem? I can't plan to buy K-7.
07-03-2009, 08:32 AM   #42
Banned

nice camera!!! congrats!!!
Please tell us more about auto-focus speed!
Falk Lumo: K-7 and its continuous autofocus -- PART I
Falk Lumo: K-7 and its continuous autofocus -- PART II
07-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, in that case probably you should think about getting a high end camera from Canon or Nikon. I don't think K-7 can match their high end cameras' speed, although it's pretty fast to my standard.

To me, the quiet shutter and short shutter lag are more important. If I care about AF speed so much, I wouldn't have stayed w/ Pentax
07-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunny Gear Quote
why not? is it a problem? I can't plan to buy K-7.
I don't think the software is free, unless you buy the camera ...

I'm sure someone else would post it on the web for download, but not from me. Sorry.
07-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Hi Frank, are the banding issues associated with k10D/K20D resolved with the K-7?
Hmm, what banding issues? I didn't see any when I had the K10D or K20D ...