Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K20D or Canon XSi/T1i???

I had a Canon XSi and sold it in order to upgrade to a 50D. Now I want a camera with a smaller footprint for carrying around day to day. I was looking at the new Canon T1i until I discovered this Pentax K20! 14.6MP, sealed body, great price. Now I don't know what to do! I haven't had a chance to see one in person yet but I was wondering if the Pentax is larger then the XSi/T1i body. It looks like it is in the pics I have seen. Are there any Canon users on here that can help? I believe I will be a new Pentax owner in the near future!! Thanks in advance.

07-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds like you're dead set on 10mp or higher? If the consideration is that it's small and sealed, K200D would do you better than K20D since it's smaller. K20D is quite a bit more capable camera though.
07-02-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with Andi.
K20D's a significant step up from the K200D, but both are very capable.
Though if money's not too tight you may want to consider the K-7, a new concept camera that is rebuilt from the ground up to provide a revolutionary way of capturing images...

No matter which way you go, all 3 models would still be close to or exceeding the features and results one would get with a 50D, although it too is a decent camera, not as good as the 5DMkII, which is comparable with the K-7, but OK....

Lots of choices to think about there.
Best of luck!
07-02-2009, 06:05 AM   #4
Ari
Veteran Member

The k20 is a bit bigger (but feels much better built in your hand than the canon - I bought one of those for my girlfriend last year). As Ash said, both the k200 and k20 are very capable, but the k20 prices are really coming down. It's definitely a camera you can grow into (I am still growing into mine after a year of using it).

07-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think the K200D + the new WR 18-55 is actually the smallest WR kit on the planet right now. CMIIW.

And for the argument for K20D, if you're going to use this to shoot pretty often, imho ergo is sllliiightly more important than size, and I heard that for *most* people K20D has the better ergo YMMV of course
07-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I don't want small, I just want something smaller/lighter than my 50D. I know the T1i has fantastic image quality, but it's a few hundred dollars more than the K20. I guess what I'm asking is: Is the K20 a really good camera. The Canon isn't sealed, the K20 is. I also like the body mounted IS on the K20. But how is image quality and build quality?
07-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by nitrox28 Quote
I don't want small, I just want something smaller/lighter than my 50D. I know the T1i has fantastic image quality, but it's a few hundred dollars more than the K20. I guess what I'm asking is: Is the K20 a really good camera. The Canon isn't sealed, the K20 is. I also like the body mounted IS on the K20. But how is image quality and build quality?
I had the 450D and 40D a few months ago i bought the K20D that i just sold so i could buy the K-7,, anyway the K20D was much better than my 450D and also it was better than my 40D, i sold the 40D because the K20D had better IQ and also the ISO was pretty much on par with the 40D especially the detail,
now on the size difference i don't think the K20D was that much bigger than the 450D very little but your 50D is a monster next to it thats for sure

Go here and scroll down just for some ISO shots with the 40D
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/63597-k7-high-iso-...etitive-3.html
07-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My wife just spent 3 dayd in Yosemite with a Canon rep, a T1, 50d and her K20d. We're still going through the image files, but I let you know what the results yield when we get it all sorted out.

07-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes, the K20 is a very capable camera. Even more so in the hands of a good photographer.
For the money, I would go with the K20D, no doubt about it.
You will be hard pressed to beat the build of the K20. Solid as a rock.
And the Shake Reduction works well with lenses on Pentax bodies.

Mind you, the body is weather sealed, but not all the lenses are, so you might want to consider that if it's of importance to you.
Weather sealing, build, good menus, shake reduction and lens compatibility are some of the reasons I switched to Pentax.

Image quality can be found in the photo forum.
07-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Wheather sealing is a really neat feature. I took picturea in rain, with 18-55 non weather sealed, and it worked fine. No issues with the lens either.
The K20 is a beautifull camera, the weight and build quality gives you the feel of a top class camera.
-The IQ... The 14,6 Mpx sensor is one of the best there is.
-My friend has a Canon 450D. He is so jealous on my K200D.
-And the main argument: 30-40 year old lenses that will blow your standards in regard of, again, IQ.
07-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The real issue is, do you want to deal with two camera systems? Once you get past the kit lens it gets pretty expensive maintaining two entire systems.

I had a K20D which was great. Superb value for the money. But if you already have a 50D I don't really see the point in the Pentax, it isn't much smaller and the build quality and IQ of the 50D is superb.

And oh yeah, the same 40 year old lenses people rave about, a $12.50 adapter will let you use them on a Canon body.

If you're talking about replacing the 50D with the K20D, then it's just a matter of what lenses work for you and what you care about most. Pentax is going to be cheaper for the same performance; Canon can give you some killer results (and the AF system is just plain better) but you will pay a bit more. I wouldn't bother with an XSi or T1i.
07-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Yep, K20ds are definitely the better camera. Pentax's 'classes' are a bit different from Canon and Nikon's, mind you: a K20d is kind of like a poor person's Nikon d300 but a bit smaller than a 50d ...pretty nice and solid, though. I love the K20d's size for me: small enough that you can put a grip on there without having a beast on your hands, big enough to not *need* to put a grip on there to feel right. It *is* bigger than the entry-level Canons, though. Nice to have the weather-sealing, even without the sealed lenses, ...you can pretty much treat em like an old pro film camera.

You might actually be a good K-7 candidate if you're not too deep in Canon, OP, rather than buying two cameras to meet your wants (the K-7's smaller still than the K20d, and, metal-bodied!
)

Just sounds like it may be a good fit for you: if you're talking about splitting systems, anyway, a change probably wouldn't be out of the question. Pentax just isn't following the scheme of bigger camera=more serious camera. Might want to look a bit before you leap, since the system's not as broad, but it could be a viable option.
07-02-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nitrox28 Quote

the k20 is a few levels higher than the t1i. Even if they were both the same price I would pick the k20. Seeing as it is cheaper, the k20 without a doubt...
07-03-2009, 04:08 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneralBenson Quote
My wife just spent 3 dayd in Yosemite with a Canon rep, a T1, 50d and her K20d. We're still going through the image files, but I let you know what the results yield when we get it all sorted out.
Yes please let us know how the 50D faired against the K20D