Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2007, 05:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K10D Battery Grip

Since getting my K10D, I've lamented its weight and size, yet I've - perversely - considered a battery grip a number of times. Now I notice there is a rebate on this thing; it's now the price of a couple of good meals in restaurant.

Any comments on the value of the battery grip - how it affects feel etc.? I've seen some postings on how it interferes with image quality, but can't remember the issue in detail - anyone recall the story on that?

Thanks,

Jer, the (perverse) Sailor

05-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Since getting my K10D, I've lamented its weight and size, yet I've - perversely - considered a battery grip a number of times. Now I notice there is a rebate on this thing; it's now the price of a couple of good meals in restaurant.

Any comments on the value of the battery grip - how it affects feel etc.? I've seen some postings on how it interferes with image quality, but can't remember the issue in detail - anyone recall the story on that?

Thanks,

Jer, the (perverse) Sailor
Jer, I have the grip and like it, usually. Positives: While better than the Ds, I find the K10D still alittle small for my hands; my pinkie is always curling under. The grip provides a nice surface area. I like how the weight balances a heavier lens like the Tamron 28-75. The feature to hold an extra memory card, and remote is great as is the choice to select which battery to use (body or grip.)
Negatives: When I hold the camera horizontal with the grip on, my hand often hits the shutter release on the grip-not a big problem, but annoying if you are previewing photos on the LCD screen. You have to remove the grip to change the battery in the camera.
Overall I am very glad I bought it; it was money well spent. It is easy to remove when I want a smaller or lighter outfit, like shooting the FA 50 1.4 With the rebate, it is a great deal in my opinion
PS: I have noted no image issues using the grip.

Last edited by Wethphotography; 05-01-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: adding PS
05-01-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find it almost completely unnecessary, except when doing a lot of vertical shots where it saves me a lot of hand pain. Yet, I love it and wouldn't want to live without it. I know, I don't make much sense. My opinion... if there is a rebate on it, nobody should be without it.
05-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Jer,

Not too long ago I started a thread on the same subject and got some good replies. You can read the thread here.

Will

05-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I find it worth it..

1) Sound silly but I like the memory card slot in the grip, I forget the card sometimes (downloading photos) and I run out the door grabbing the camera only then need to come home for the card which is still in my laptop.

2) I have large hands and the camera feels a lot better for my hands with the grip.

3) I take a lot of portrate oriented shots and the advatage of the grip is obvious in this setting.

4) With the rather heavy F*300 it balances much better with the grip IMO

So for my usage I have never taken the grip off since the day I got it..
05-02-2007, 06:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

On the plus side, it has mde it easier for me to shoot more verticals. I found that holding the camera vertically (without the grip) for more than one or two shots was awkward and uncomfortable. Found that I was shooting horizontal and cropping to vertical to avoid that. The grip also (for me anyway) makes the camera easier to hold with a larger, heavier lens on it. Having the second battery right there and switching seamlessly is also very nice. The storage aspect - I keep the remote in it, rather than rattling around in a bag - is OK.
The negatives are the added weight (you get used to it, but it's a real shock to pick up my DS now) and bulk. I'm currently involved in the search for the "perfect bag" (also known as Moby Dick) and having the grip on the camera has eliminated several because they are too narrow.
Overall, it's a plus for me. I think that it's a matter of shooting stye and ergonomics. There's always another toy to buy......
05-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Got the grip, but really don't use it in "camera default" mode. When I know that it will be required to take a lot of vertical shots, then it is indispensable. For general photographic opportunities, I don't keep it on the body. Even though the K10D is smaller than some competing brand cameras, it is larger than I'm used to using. I'm used to the small Pentax film bodies and the DS. The K10D, in comparison, is a lot heavier. The addition of the grip makes it even more heavy (and larger). Definitely not something for a "walkaround" camera.

I've also had the problem of the grip shutter release triggering. I use a Hakuba hand grip, which fits with the grip attached. When holding the camera at the side of my body, with arm extended, too often, the base of the palm of my hand will fire the shutter release. Easy to overcome, just turn the grip switch off. But, I forget to do so most of the time.

In summery, normally I don't use the grip, unless I know that I'll be taking a lot of vertical shots in a session. Even though I don't use it all that much, I'm glad I purchased it.
05-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Jer,
Not much to add here except the added battery in the grip means more shooting time without changing batteries. I get between 400 and 500 shots per charge x 2 = 800 to 1000 shots without changing batteries.

As to the weight, the K10 and Sigma 70-200 EX (my most used configuration) is already very heavy to me. I don't even notice the extra weight of grip + battery.

One little niggle. When shooting in portrait orientation, I have to be careful to hook my right thumb through the camera strap or it will fall right in front of the viewfinder.

05-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all

Thanks everyone for the detailed and helpful replies.

When I mentioned to my wife that I had posted this query on the forum, her response was, and I quote (more or less): "Every time you pick up that camera you gripe about how big the *&@#$ thing is. Why on earth would you spend money to make it bigger?" A question to which - I must admit - there is no intellectually honest answer. When I think of one, I'll order the grip.

Jer
05-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #10

When I mentioned to my wife that I had posted this query on the forum, her response was, and I quote (more or less): "Every time you pick up that camera you gripe about how big the *&@#$ thing is. Why on earth would you spend money to make it bigger?" A question to which - I must admit - there is no intellectually honest answer. When I think of one, I'll order the grip.

Jer
Good question, but never base male logic of feedback from female logic..

Just wondering what the content of the indicated profanity was, must have been high grade though, it has a 'Star' in it. ..... how big the *&@#$ thing is....

I have the grip, love it for balance in formal shooting, portraits etc.. just have to remember to turn off the switch on the actual grip when not using it, palm of my hand presses the shutter involuntarily.
05-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the grip, and I never take it off. makes it a bit bulkier, but for me, it's an extra addition in terms of balance. having that slot for the memory card has proved it's usefulness many times over.
05-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote
Good question, but never base male logic of feedback from female logic..
Oh, I believe the logic; now I've just got to work around it - sorta like Einstein did with Newton's laws.

Jer
05-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #13

Jer
but you've been given several reasons already:
a more comfortable grip for a lot of us users, likely you too,
way better for shooting in portrait position,
better balance and stability when longer or heavier lenses are used

yes the K10D is bigger than the likes of the DS and DL's but it is still not a behemoth by any stretch, and once you own one there is no binding contract that it must be on the camera at all times.
05-02-2007, 11:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

And of course, with the grip on it looks much more professional and expensive and everyone immediately understands that you are a serious photographer. I donít know if thatís a good or bad thing though, any thoughts on that? Perhaps people are more forgiving if it looks professional, I donít know.
05-03-2007, 02:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

One more thing to add is that you can also store extra SD card in the grip too!