Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 3,335
broken Lens

Don't know where else to put this, so here goes. My tripod fell over with my camera mounted. The lens and hood took the brunt of the fall and everything looks OK except the hood. But I have just discovered the zoom and focusing does not work on the 50-200. Anyone know whether this is fixable and if it is worth it?

JMR


Last edited by JMR; 07-02-2009 at 04:13 AM.
07-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,678
Oh dear. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
The 50-200 isn't worth too much, so its repair bill would probably exceed its own value.
You say zoom AND AF doesn't work... there's more than one thing wrong with it.
Perhaps a good reason to replace it with a 55-300, if you're that way inclined...
07-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,134
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Don't know where else to put this, so here goes. My tripod fell over with my camera mounted. The lens and hood took the brunt of the fall and everything looks OK except the hood. But I have just discovered the zoom and focusing does not work on the 50-200. Anyone know whether this is fixable and if it is worth it?

JMR
I think that you can pick up another 50-200 kit lens inexpensively enough that it would not be worth repairing your old lens. Check out the prices - you can pick up brand new for peanuts.
07-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
JMR
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 3,335
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Oh dear. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
The 50-200 isn't worth too much, so its repair bill would probably exceed its own value.
You say zoom AND AF doesn't work... there's more than one thing wrong with it.
Perhaps a good reason to replace it with a 55-300, if you're that way inclined...
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I think that you can pick up another 50-200 kit lens inexpensively enough that it would not be worth repairing your old lens. Check out the prices - you can pick up brand new for peanuts.
Thanks guys, I was thinking the same myself. I think I will look at the 55-300, as I have always wanted the extra 100 mm for landscape work.

JMR

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, hood, lens, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lens is broken: broken mount nemo9439 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 08-27-2010 09:52 AM
Update on broken lens slowpez Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 07-29-2010 06:16 PM
Broken Lens Aperture glsmith Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 03-08-2010 01:53 AM
A broken MX w/ a mysterious lens ... frank Pentax Film SLR Discussion 36 08-30-2009 06:46 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:59 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top