Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

broken Lens

Don't know where else to put this, so here goes. My tripod fell over with my camera mounted. The lens and hood took the brunt of the fall and everything looks OK except the hood. But I have just discovered the zoom and focusing does not work on the 50-200. Anyone know whether this is fixable and if it is worth it?

JMR

Last edited by JMR; 07-02-2009 at 04:13 AM.
07-02-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh dear. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
The 50-200 isn't worth too much, so its repair bill would probably exceed its own value.
You say zoom AND AF doesn't work... there's more than one thing wrong with it.
Perhaps a good reason to replace it with a 55-300, if you're that way inclined...
07-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Don't know where else to put this, so here goes. My tripod fell over with my camera mounted. The lens and hood took the brunt of the fall and everything looks OK except the hood. But I have just discovered the zoom and focusing does not work on the 50-200. Anyone know whether this is fixable and if it is worth it?

JMR
I think that you can pick up another 50-200 kit lens inexpensively enough that it would not be worth repairing your old lens. Check out the prices - you can pick up brand new for peanuts.
07-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Oh dear. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
The 50-200 isn't worth too much, so its repair bill would probably exceed its own value.
You say zoom AND AF doesn't work... there's more than one thing wrong with it.
Perhaps a good reason to replace it with a 55-300, if you're that way inclined...
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I think that you can pick up another 50-200 kit lens inexpensively enough that it would not be worth repairing your old lens. Check out the prices - you can pick up brand new for peanuts.
Thanks guys, I was thinking the same myself. I think I will look at the 55-300, as I have always wanted the extra 100 mm for landscape work.

JMR