Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2009, 05:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
red saturation issues....

morning all.........
i primarily shoot jpegs with my k200d ( i know, i know, i'm playing with raw, not quite there yet, but workin' on/with it)....
i need some tips/help to avoid the red saturation (clipping)...
by the way, i 'tripped' over this... interesting and not brain numbing....
Understanding Digital Camera Histograms: Luminance and Color
as always, thanks all!!!
happy summer to all.........if the rain stops.... my ark is almost complete.......

07-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Ah yes, the red glow.
It took me two weeks to get it right. And I still have to PS a little on some shots.

The light has to be subdued and at a steep angle away from camera. I then under expose by 1-2 stops.
07-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

This was just discussed on the PDML, you might want to search the archive. Essentially, it involves dropping red channel saturation during raw conversion.
I think if you are shooting jpegs, you don't stand much of a chance.
07-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You could try turning down saturation in the in-camera controls. You might also experiemnt with lying about white balance to shift the reds toward blue, thn see how much of that you can correct in PP. Also underexpose a bit, then push the curves in PP to brighten the image overall without clipping the reds too much.

Again, all this will be much easier and much more effective if you shoot RAW. If you've been playing with RAW using PPL and finding it frustrating, no wonder. Modern RAW processing are as big a step up in usability as a word processor is from a manual typewriter. Bigger, actually - while writing a novel is easier with a word processor, there are some tasks for which a typewriter might be easier. Not so with RAW processing - there is essentially nothing at which a program a program like Lightroom, Aperture, Lightzone, ACDSee Pro, or even Photoshop Elements won't make 100 times easier.

07-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildlifephotog Quote
...the red glow
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
...red saturation (clipping)...
Out of curiousity, what are you guys talking about?
07-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
Inactive Account

The over powering of the sensor by red and colors close to it. I've had it happen with orange poppies.
07-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah, I get that all the time. I always just go into the HSL controls in Lightroom and turn the red channel down. Sometimes your reds looks a little dull afterwards, but it's better than glowing. It it a Pnetax probelm or do all digital camera have problems with red clipping/any other color?
07-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #8
Forum Member

Interesting. I have had this issue with some pinks and always thought that it was my screen that is decalibrated. So how do I approach this problem? Someone said to browse the PDML but I don't know what that is...?

Sorry for being such a newbie...

07-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amaurosis Quote
ISomeone said to browse the PDML but I don't know what that is...?
http://pdml.net/
07-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #10
Forum Member

Cheers, man.