Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Posts: 165
Can k20 and K7 take advantage of fast cards

I have been using a K10D for 2 + years and as far as I can tell its save speed is the same with any card. Of course my card reader can do so for downloading.
I am hoping the k20 or K7 can save faster or shoot more frames continuously with a high speed card.

07-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Copenhagen
Posts: 258
I recently went from some standard card to the SanDisk Extreme III. I certainly noticed a difference.

And the other day I discarded my no-name card reader for a SanDisk reader and went from <1Mb/sec to >30Mb/sec, quite a difference when you've filled a 16GB card.
07-03-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
Big difference w/k10 - sometimes

I've had to use slower cards but have settled on SanDisk Extreme III.

Even compared to the Ultra II (which would be about a class ten if the standard recognized that level), the Extreme III clears the buffer a great deal faster.

Just watch the LED on the back immediately after you shoot the photo. The faster 20 MB/s card results in a much shorter "flicker" period - about 50%.

In burst/continuous mode, the faster card allows more successive images at full speed as the buffer transfers the images to the card faster.

Please note that many cheaper cards will write to your computer faster than they read from the camera. They advertise their write speed rather than their read (from the camera) speed.

If your shooting is slow and deliberate, then the only reason for the faster card is the write speed to your computer - which may not show enough difference to justify the higher cost.

Me? I watch for SanDisk sales and rebates although they're not available everywhere or for cards from all retailers. There's an approved list on the rebate form itself. The form is downloadable from the retailer and from SanDisk so you can verify eligibility.

Got my last 8 GB EX III cards for USD $15 each after rebate. My last two rebates went just fine, by the way. We'll see about this one.

Do all these words help?
07-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Cambo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 839
Rebates...?

Whereabouts have you found Sandisk Rebates lately?

Cheers
Cameron

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I've had to use slower cards but have settled on SanDisk Extreme III.

Even compared to the Ultra II (which would be about a class ten if the standard recognized that level), the Extreme III clears the buffer a great deal faster.

Just watch the LED on the back immediately after you shoot the photo. The faster 20 MB/s card results in a much shorter "flicker" period - about 50%.

In burst/continuous mode, the faster card allows more successive images at full speed as the buffer transfers the images to the card faster.

Please note that many cheaper cards will write to your computer faster than they read from the camera. They advertise their write speed rather than their read (from the camera) speed.

If your shooting is slow and deliberate, then the only reason for the faster card is the write speed to your computer - which may not show enough difference to justify the higher cost.

Me? I watch for SanDisk sales and rebates although they're not available everywhere or for cards from all retailers. There's an approved list on the rebate form itself. The form is downloadable from the retailer and from SanDisk so you can verify eligibility.

Got my last 8 GB EX III cards for USD $15 each after rebate. My last two rebates went just fine, by the way. We'll see about this one.

Do all these words help?


07-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
QuoteOriginally posted by photog Quote
I have been using a K10D for 2 + years and as far as I can tell its save speed is the same with any card. Of course my card reader can do so for downloading.
Well, with my preproduction K-7, I've managed to burst 14.6 MP at 5.2 fps to SD card with no limit! Was a Sandisk Extreme III. It was somewhat arbitrary when it would work but it did more often than not.
According to the published spec, this shouldn't be possible at all
07-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
Comparing K10D and K20D, I believe their buffer dump speeds are similar, but do require the speed of an Extreme III card to capitalise on this speed, which around 10Mb/sec.

The thing that differs between the K10D and K20D is the buffer size: K10D's buffer fills after 9 RAW images whereas the K20D's fills after 14.

It's the continuous JPEG shooting that the K10D has the upper hand on as they'll be smaller sized JPEGs than the K20D.
07-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member
attack11's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON - Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 659
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Comparing K10D and K20D, I believe their buffer dump speeds are similar, but do require the speed of an Extreme III card to capitalise on this speed, which around 10Mb/sec.

The thing that differs between the K10D and K20D is the buffer size: K10D's buffer fills after 9 RAW images whereas the K20D's fills after 14.

It's the continuous JPEG shooting that the K10D has the upper hand on as they'll be smaller sized JPEGs than the K20D.
the k10d will hold 11dng in buffer and also empty faster due to lack of compression, so it's not that clear of an answer.

either way, a quality class 6 sdhc card will allow the camera body to go as fast as it can.
07-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
the k10d will hold 11dng in buffer and also empty faster due to lack of compression, so it's not that clear of an answer.

either way, a quality class 6 sdhc card will allow the camera body to go as fast as it can.
Did you read my post?
Class 6 spec is close to, but not sufficient to maintain

5.2 fps 14.6 MP until card full!!

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, card, dslr, k20, k7, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Verbatim and Transcend class 6 sdhc cards not fast enough for K-7 video pasipasi Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 08-08-2009 08:47 AM
[K20D] Just how fast can it write to memory cards? Reportage Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 15 02-17-2009 12:15 PM
Could someone explain FF advantage ? Wulifou Pentax DSLR Discussion 162 12-23-2008 01:17 AM
"Fast" SD cards - speed for downloading only? Glen_S Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 02-14-2008 05:15 PM
advantage of CMOS vanguy Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 01-23-2008 10:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:30 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top