Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #1

Can k20 and K7 take advantage of fast cards

I have been using a K10D for 2 + years and as far as I can tell its save speed is the same with any card. Of course my card reader can do so for downloading.
I am hoping the k20 or K7 can save faster or shoot more frames continuously with a high speed card.

07-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #2

I recently went from some standard card to the SanDisk Extreme III. I certainly noticed a difference.

And the other day I discarded my no-name card reader for a SanDisk reader and went from <1Mb/sec to >30Mb/sec, quite a difference when you've filled a 16GB card.
07-03-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Big difference w/k10 - sometimes

I've had to use slower cards but have settled on SanDisk Extreme III.

Even compared to the Ultra II (which would be about a class ten if the standard recognized that level), the Extreme III clears the buffer a great deal faster.

Just watch the LED on the back immediately after you shoot the photo. The faster 20 MB/s card results in a much shorter "flicker" period - about 50%.

In burst/continuous mode, the faster card allows more successive images at full speed as the buffer transfers the images to the card faster.

Please note that many cheaper cards will write to your computer faster than they read from the camera. They advertise their write speed rather than their read (from the camera) speed.

If your shooting is slow and deliberate, then the only reason for the faster card is the write speed to your computer - which may not show enough difference to justify the higher cost.

Me? I watch for SanDisk sales and rebates although they're not available everywhere or for cards from all retailers. There's an approved list on the rebate form itself. The form is downloadable from the retailer and from SanDisk so you can verify eligibility.

Got my last 8 GB EX III cards for USD $15 each after rebate. My last two rebates went just fine, by the way. We'll see about this one.

Do all these words help?
07-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rebates...?

Whereabouts have you found Sandisk Rebates lately?

Cheers
Cameron

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I've had to use slower cards but have settled on SanDisk Extreme III.

Even compared to the Ultra II (which would be about a class ten if the standard recognized that level), the Extreme III clears the buffer a great deal faster.

Just watch the LED on the back immediately after you shoot the photo. The faster 20 MB/s card results in a much shorter "flicker" period - about 50%.

In burst/continuous mode, the faster card allows more successive images at full speed as the buffer transfers the images to the card faster.

Please note that many cheaper cards will write to your computer faster than they read from the camera. They advertise their write speed rather than their read (from the camera) speed.

If your shooting is slow and deliberate, then the only reason for the faster card is the write speed to your computer - which may not show enough difference to justify the higher cost.

Me? I watch for SanDisk sales and rebates although they're not available everywhere or for cards from all retailers. There's an approved list on the rebate form itself. The form is downloadable from the retailer and from SanDisk so you can verify eligibility.

Got my last 8 GB EX III cards for USD $15 each after rebate. My last two rebates went just fine, by the way. We'll see about this one.

Do all these words help?

07-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photog Quote
I have been using a K10D for 2 + years and as far as I can tell its save speed is the same with any card. Of course my card reader can do so for downloading.
Well, with my preproduction K-7, I've managed to burst 14.6 MP at 5.2 fps to SD card with no limit! Was a Sandisk Extreme III. It was somewhat arbitrary when it would work but it did more often than not.
According to the published spec, this shouldn't be possible at all
07-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Comparing K10D and K20D, I believe their buffer dump speeds are similar, but do require the speed of an Extreme III card to capitalise on this speed, which around 10Mb/sec.

The thing that differs between the K10D and K20D is the buffer size: K10D's buffer fills after 9 RAW images whereas the K20D's fills after 14.

It's the continuous JPEG shooting that the K10D has the upper hand on as they'll be smaller sized JPEGs than the K20D.
07-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Comparing K10D and K20D, I believe their buffer dump speeds are similar, but do require the speed of an Extreme III card to capitalise on this speed, which around 10Mb/sec.

The thing that differs between the K10D and K20D is the buffer size: K10D's buffer fills after 9 RAW images whereas the K20D's fills after 14.

It's the continuous JPEG shooting that the K10D has the upper hand on as they'll be smaller sized JPEGs than the K20D.
the k10d will hold 11dng in buffer and also empty faster due to lack of compression, so it's not that clear of an answer.

either way, a quality class 6 sdhc card will allow the camera body to go as fast as it can.

07-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
the k10d will hold 11dng in buffer and also empty faster due to lack of compression, so it's not that clear of an answer.

either way, a quality class 6 sdhc card will allow the camera body to go as fast as it can.
Did you read my post?
Class 6 spec is close to, but not sufficient to maintain

5.2 fps 14.6 MP until card full!!