Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2009, 06:48 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Considering k20/pentax?

I'm considering jumping ship(d60) to a camera based is system.there are a few good selections available alpha 700,e620,alhpa 350.i have read a many reviews and have narrowed the field.the k20 has a long list of feature both good and bad i.e. Fps speed,af assist lamp,af speed,180 syn,shutter &focus noise and high iso iq? I would like comments from current user of the k20 about the pro and cons of this camera and the camera mentioned above. Reading comment/rumors on this site may indicate that pentax may be insome sort of trouble. I think that additional bail out money is still available,may help with the museum problem(bad joke) as always feed back is a gift!!! Any and all comments will be used to help in the selection of my next camara. My wife states that no up grades will happens in the next 2 to 3years#$@%%%$. (possible k10 in the future)so this choose must be well thought out. Thats why your comments and experiences with these cameras are important.please base all comments on your use,not reviews and here say. Thanks for your time and be safe this weedend!!! (if all fails the d90 offer excellent iq,features good support)

07-03-2009, 07:13 AM   #2

I have owned a k100d super and now a k20d... what can I say so far... why Pentax?

1. VALUE!!! you get so much camera and features for the money

2. Ergonomics, if you actually hold a K20d vs a 50d or d90 you can feel the difference

3. Size and weight, although I use a grip, Pentax is dedicated to the apsc sensor, my 50-135 2.8 is much smaller and lighter than a 70-200 on a FF camera, and don't forget the built in shake reduction.

4. I feel ISO 1600 is totally usable, but if a situation arises where I need higher than that, I'm confortable using 2000, 2500, or anything just below 3200, I won't go past 3200.

5. FPS is a bit lacking, but I feel I'm past "spray and pray" but I don't do that much action photography anyways

6. Low light situations could be better, but whenever I think about switching to Nikon, I realize 6k in equipment is not exactly an easy solution.

7. Did I mention the 50-135 2.8 lens... everyone agrees this is a must have, after owning one, do yourself a favor and just buy it =)

8. Weathersealing, the peace of mind is very calming.

If you're in the prosumer market, I don't see how you would be making a bad decision to go with Pentax. If possible, get your hands on a k10 or k20 to feel it, the controls are just so much better than canon or nikon.
07-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Igilligan

What do you shoot? That will help us advise you...

And what is going on with your D60? I thought the kits that come with that camera had IS in the lens? My friend has the D40 and a 18-200VR and loves it. My Cousin the D80 with a VR kit and it is also a pretty great camera.

What lens do you have with the D60 and what exactly do you not like about the combo? That will also help us to give the best advice.
07-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Basic shooting

The d60 has a 15-55 vr kit lense. My friend who has losted his job and down on his luck would like to try photography. I was going to loan/give him my d60 and puchase a new camera. I would like to start shooting wildlife. I would like to build a collection of lenses and i think camera is is the way to go.i hope to get back into the hobby at a greater level then in the past. So i would like a fairly good system as a up grade in the near future is not possible. My wife thinks i'm crazy for loaning/giving the camera to steve.hopefully he enjoy the art and not focus on his trouble all the time.
When you think about it!! It really about people helping people!!!!!

07-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry if I didn't understand your post well, but I take it you're looking for a cost-effective system for capturing wildlife to replace the D60 you gave your friend.

That's a tough one, as wildlife photography usually entails big focal lengths >300mm along with good macros >100mm. This gear isn't cheap, and Pentax lenses in these ranges are a little limited.