Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K2000/K-M Expanded Dynamic Range

I read about this in the manual but it still seems unclear. In the ISO menu is the option for a "200%" Dynamic Range.

I would appreciate an explanation. Is this a setting one might want to have on all the time?

07-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What it does is deliberately underexpose the shot as necessary to peserve highlights, then brighten the shadows in the JPEG processing so you don't end up with really dark shadows in situations where there is a lot of dynamic range (contrast between light and shadow). You can do the exact same thing in PP if you shoot RAW, with the exact same penalty - brightening the the shadows amplifies the noise. I leave it off and do the equivalent processing myself only when needed.
07-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply (and hi there!)

So if I shoot RAW anyhow, this is pretty much something to leave off?

While I'm at it, what about this "expose to the right" stuff? Should I perhaps expose with EV +.5 or +1?
07-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
What it does is deliberately underexpose the shot as necessary to peserve highlights, then brighten the shadows in the JPEG processing so you don't end up with really dark shadows in situations where there is a lot of dynamic range (contrast between light and shadow).
If that is all it does, how come iso 100 is unavailable (only 200-3200 is allowed) when you enable DR?

07-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Inactive Account

This is a good question. I've always wondered what it meant. I have it on all the time because I can use the ISO 100 when there is adequate light. I also like that I can adjust it in smaller increments when I need higher ISO. So, it it really bad to have it on? I shoot RAW.
07-03-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PiratStian Quote
If that is all it does, how come iso 100 is unavailable (only 200-3200 is allowed) when you enable DR?
Because the way it accomplishes the deliberate underexposure is to take your selected aperture, shutter speed, and ISO, and then cut the ISO in half. If it allowed ISO 100, there would be no way to achieve the underexposure except by changing aperture or shutter speed from whatever you selected, and most people wouldn't want the camera doing that.
07-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
Thanks for the reply (and hi there!)

So if I shoot RAW anyhow, this is pretty much something to leave off?
Hi back - somehow I managed to not notice who I was responding to!

If you shoot RAW, it has no effect unless using a RAW converter that happens to try to mimic what Pentax's own algorithm does. Presumably PPL does. Some third party RAW processing programs might also be able to mimic the behavior if you shoot DNG rather than PEF? Not sure about that, but it seems someone said that the camera does create custom curves or something like that.

QuoteQuote:
While I'm at it, what about this "expose to the right" stuff? Should I perhaps expose with EV +.5 or +1?
Expose To The Right (ETTR) means you expose so the highlights you care about are *just* shy of clipping. The amount of compensation necessary to get that will depend on the scene. Some people do it by spot metering the thing they want just shy of clipping then dialing in +2.5 (I think), others just guess, chimp the histogram, adjust, and try again until the histogram shows what they want.

I personally don't bother with this - most of the time, it results in too bright a picture that you have to pull back in PP. Which is the whole point, actually - exposing to the right and then pulling back results in a little less noise than exposing normally in the first place (and much less noise than exposing to the left then pushing, which is what I am virtually always forced to do in my concert photography).
07-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! I'm going to experiment a bit with EV increases just to see what happens. I like the idea of less noise and more detail in the shadows, which I hear ETTR achieves. Something about the way the sensor records data?

Anyhow...many thanks!