Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #1
emr

K20D vs. K200D with M42 lenses?

I'm sure this topic has been covered in several thgreads already, but search shows so many threads it's become rather difficult finding small details.

I have a K20D today and I've found that using M42 lenses is a bit unpractical due to having to separately remove the adapter. So I thought that why not have a cheap second body, which would be normally for M42 only (and be the back-up body too).

But what are the ins and outs of using M42 lenses on say a K200D as compared to K20D? I naturally know the normal SR stuff and so on. But don't some people have experienced some sort of under or over-exposure with K200D using manual lenses? Also, is manual focusing as easy/hard with K200D as it is with K20D (without a katzeye sp.? or something)? Other aspects to consider?

07-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M42 issues....

impractical going between K and M42, not M42 to M42?

I am guessing if you have the K20D, you want the image on its sensor?

You're already manually focusing, adjusting f-stop, pushing green button...M42 is physically photography, the extra work for lens changes come as part of the package!
07-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M42

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
"... have a [ ] second body, which would be normally for M42 only ...

" ...under or over-exposure [ ] using manual lenses...

My K100DS is presently set up for M42 lenses with a Katzeye.

Those exposure issues have to do with the lens aperture mechanics, not the camera body. Good metering technique and Manual exposure makes it a non-issue

H2
07-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
emr

Sorry, I don't quite get your point. What I find slow and impractical is changing between M42 and K. While it's not such big issue once in a while, I find that constantly switching between mount types is a minor nuisance. Having to use a pen (or whatever) and ofter two hands in a good light just to get rid of the adapter just isn't something I consider fun. It's quite different changing K to K, fast and easy.

However, that wasn't the point of my post.

EDIT: my reply was to tmoses.

07-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
that pisses me off too. i have several adapters, and i usually leave them on the lens, but when removing from the body.. arggghh. one idea is to dismount the clip on the adapter, and instead drill a small hole on the lens mount where the pin from the camera should go in and lock it (i have yet to try that, i have found people on the net who have done this without problems though), this is almost like k-converting the lens, but without the pittfals (you can still use the lens on an m42 body if you want to, though i am not sure i care), you will have to pay for an adapter for each lens though, otherwise it makes no sense.

afaik, the k200d will be better for m42 and smc-m lenses, with the stock focusing screen. the k10d and k20d have trouble metering properly stopped down because of the focusing screen (it's okay if you change it to an "older" one). in theory, the k10d/k20d is better for manual focus (pentaprism, bigger vf, etc), in practice, to be honest, i think a katzeye (or one of those cheap chinese versions) is the way to go in any case (if you plan on buying a body almost exclusively for the old lenses, what the hell..)

hope this helps
07-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think you have it backwards regarding exposure - it's the K20D that can have exposure issues with (some) manual lenses, at least when using the stock focus screen. The K200D focus screen does not have these issues, nor do other older Pentax cameras aside from the K10D (which shares its screen with the K20D).

The K200D viewfinder is a bit smaller and dimmer than the K20D. The O-ME53 magnifier helps with the size but not the bightness. I find it good enough, and thats after moving from the DS, which had more or less the same viewfinder as the K20D.
07-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
emr

Thanks, everybody. I don't know if I'll dedicate the second body to M42 lenses (or if I really needed another camera body), but I just cut a deal for a slightly used silver K200D! It's just so pimp-my-camera, that I couldn't help myself.