Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #1

Cheap Chinese focussing screen on *ist DS

I've just successfully installed a split image/prismatic screen from virtualvillage.com in Shanghai on my *ist DS.
All seems to be working as intended except the lightmetering. It's consistently over exposing by about ev 1.5.
I recall reading, in a post that I can no longer locate, someone commenting that a similar screen had corrected a chronic underexposure problem on his DS (which I was not experiencing).
So it does seem as if these screens do seriously affect the internal metering.
Other than the simple method of adjusting the +-ev on the thumbwheel, does anyone know how to overcome this problem?

05-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That was me. While it seems to have sorted out the issue when I'm using A, FA, and DA lenses in Av mode, for some reason M lenses, used in M mode, now underexpose by a stop or so when they didn't before. Odd. If you're having an overexposure issue that's consistent, you may just have to keep +1.5 EV dialed in. This, of course, is a major pain if using any M lenses. I've tried to figure out if there is a way to recalibrate the light meter, and I've never had any optimistic answers from anyone I've talked to.
05-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
Forum Member

If the screen has a micro-prism center spot, you will have a blackout when using slower speed lenses. This darkening in the prism area will cause the meter to compensate by increasing exposure.

There is a good explanation of the problem on the Katz's Eye website. There they explain the relationship between focal length and aperture for their screens.
05-02-2007, 04:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just got my Chinese Katz-Eye knockoff screen in the mail last evening and installed it in about a minute and a half. (Tip for opening the screen retainer: use a dental pick).

Haven't had a chance to use it outside yet or check exposure fluctuations, but just from what I saw of it inside last night, I love it. This sort of thing is a godsend for us manual-focusing Takumar nuts.

05-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I just got my Chinese Katz-Eye knockoff screen in the mail last evening and installed it in about a minute and a half. (Tip for opening the screen retainer: use a dental pick).

Haven't had a chance to use it outside yet or check exposure fluctuations, but just from what I saw of it inside last night, I love it. This sort of thing is a godsend for us manual-focusing Takumar nuts.
Mike, let us know if you experience any problems. I'm gravitating more and more to all manual lenses and me peepers ain't peeping like they usta. I've been thinking of a Katz-eye knockoff for some time now.

NaCl(mistook a dragonfly for an airplane the other day )H2O