Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2009, 09:51 AM   #1

K-m Availability

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,

I am currently looking into buying my first DSLR camera and have pretty much decided on the Pentax K-m. I live in Canada, and so far, I am not having much luck finding stores that sell this camera. I am also open to buying online, but have had no luck there either. My first choice would be the Limited edition white K-m. I absolutely love the look, but since it was limited edition it probably isn't sold anymore, right? (please tell me if i'm wrong) Aside from that, I would just like to know of any good deals on this camera for Canadians.

Thanks

07-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cheapest I found is from B&H Photo
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/610951-REG/Pentax_17312_K2000_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

Last edited by LeDave; 07-09-2009 at 03:30 PM.
07-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You will enjoy the K-M/K2000 very much. I had a K20D and a K2000, and sold the K20D to buy the K-7. In the mean time, I've been shooting with my K2000 and love it to death. Menus and buttons are very intuitive and easy to use. It's light, snappy, produces good images. A beginner can just use Auto, step up to built in settings, then scene modes, then P mode and beyond.

Paired with its original kit zooms, it's a very nice starting ensemble.

Good luck finding the white one,. I had the white 2-zoom kit and sold it. It was very nice looking, though!
07-03-2009, 10:17 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
You will enjoy the K-M/K2000 very much. I had a K20D and a K2000, and sold the K20D to buy the K-7. In the mean time, I've been shooting with my K2000 and love it to death. Menus and buttons are very intuitive and easy to use. It's light, snappy, produces good images. A beginner can just use Auto, step up to built in settings, then scene modes, then P mode and beyond.

Paired with its original kit zooms, it's a very nice starting ensemble.

Good luck finding the white one,. I had the white 2-zoom kit and sold it. It was very nice looking, though!
Funny... I did the same thing, and I do love the K-m. (I bought mine on-line in Canada, so I have the K-m instead of the K2000). I think that I will probably sell the K-m after I get the K-7 , but for now I am really enjoying it.

07-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
@ LeDave
Thanks for the link. Both B&H and Adorama have very good prices on the camera but unfortunately they are all in US dollars. The exchange rate is quite unforgiving for us Canadians right now, so the price becomes pretty steep.

@JedPerkins
Where did you buy your k-m online in Canada?
07-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Hello Paddles,

You will enjoy the K-m. It's a great camera for the price. Too bad you missed out on the white version. I've only seen one on ebay. Either color takes great pictures : )

Hope you find a K-m soon.
07-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PaddlesUp Quote
I am currently looking into buying my first DSLR camera and have pretty much decided on the Pentax K-m. I live in Canada, and so far, I am not having much luck finding stores that sell this camera. I am also open to buying online, but have had no luck there either.
Here are the Canadian brick&mortar and online stores I know of:

There's Henry's:
Henry's - Canada's Digital Camera Centre - Photo Video Digital

Vistek used to sell the K-m, but doesn't seem to now.
Vistek is Canada's Digital Camera Store, Shop for Digital SLRs, Digital Cameras, Video Cameras and more - Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Canada

Galaxy Camera also has an eBay store.
Galaxy Camera FotoSource Ottawa . . . 613-234-8831 Ottawa's only locally owned photo store

07-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Hi,

I am currently looking into buying my first DSLR camera and have pretty much decided on the Pentax K-m. I live in Canada, and so far, I am not having much luck finding stores that sell this camera. I am also open to buying online, but have had no luck there either. My first choice would be the Limited edition white K-m. I absolutely love the look, but since it was limited edition it probably isn't sold anymore, right? (please tell me if i'm wrong) Aside from that, I would just like to know of any good deals on this camera for Canadians.

Thanks
I bought my KM with the kit lens for $ 529 Canadian. On sale at Black's in April, 2009. Works well...took pix of Canada Day Fireworks. Got it price matched at another dealer.

I've been in Don's, Henry's, London Drugs within the last month...they all have copies of the KM. Haven't seen the white copy anywhere though.

This is in Winnipeg.

Where are you located ?

If you haven't any dealers that carry it, order it online from any of these places.
07-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Or you can check also here:

L.L.Lozeau - SLR
07-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #10

Original Poster
i have checked out henrys but their price for the km with 18-55mm lens is $650 plus tax! That seems totally unreasonable compared to the american prices. B+H has the same kit listed for $414 US. It's starting to look like paying the exchange rate might be my best bet. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far! Keep me posted if you come across anything.
07-03-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bought from them 2 days ago and shipped today. I paid C$500 flat after 5% GST. They are prodigital2000 based on the email address I received. I don't think the white & green versions are being sold in North America, nor do I think they worth the extra (a lowend model won't hold their prices regardless how Pentax dressed them up). I admit I like the green one with yellow straps though lol. Good luck.

NEW Pentax K2000 / K-M 10.2MP Digital SLR w/ 18-55mm on eBay.ca (item 230351300846 end time 23-Jul-09 10:24:05 EDT)

Last edited by wlachan; 07-03-2009 at 02:08 PM.
07-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #12

Original Poster
wlachan, I did notice that seller on ebay before. When your camera arrives would you care to let me know how things went with the seller? How long did shipping take? and was everything included that was in the listeing, etc.

thanks
07-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
wlachan, I did notice that seller on ebay before. When your camera arrives would you care to let me know how things went with the seller? How long did shipping take? and was everything included that was in the listeing, etc.

thanks
Sure. I should have it on Thursday.
07-03-2009, 05:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

i have checked out henrys but their price for the km with 18-55mm lens is $650 plus tax! That seems totally unreasonable compared to the american prices. B+H has the same kit listed for $414 US. It's starting to look like paying the exchange rate might be my best bet. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far! Keep me posted if you come across anything.
I bought my KM from Henry's...they matched the $ 529 that Black's was selling the KM for. Check out different Canadian prices...find the cheapest one and ask Henry's to match...make sure you have a copy of the ad. Most camera stores will matcgh prices....if they don't take your business somewhere else.

http://www.blackphoto.com/

Blacks is advertising the Pentax KM with 18-55 kit lens for $ 549.00 Why don't you check it out. This is a good price.
07-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Hi,

Thanks
I live in Europe and I really wanted the white K-m so I ordered one on-line in May. It took a month, but the dealer was able to source one white kit with two white lenses (from another country, all the paperwork and manuals are in a different language ). My advice is, if you really want the white one and have enough patience, try ordering it and see what happens.

I hope to upgrade to a white K-7 in a few years.