Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did any of you order the battery grip? I understand that the grip can now take AA batteries which I find extremely useful for me as I have at least 4 packs of eneloops.

07-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Did any of you order the battery grip? I understand that the grip can now take AA batteries which I find extremely useful for me as I have at least 4 packs of eneloops.
According to vanbar, the next pentax shipment to CRKennedy would be battery grips and batteries. AFAIK, besides the WR lenses, there are no k-7 accessories in AU yet.

I will most likely buy the grip from bhphoto -I have a feeling that it will be overpriced here..

For me, the k-7 and 50-135 is so unbalanced, definitely require the grip. Plus I have biggish hands.
07-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
that's a great bonus indeed. that means I could keep my still new 4 AA batteries for a year or two before getting a much stronger and lasting L-ion battery. by that time, I'm sure those batteries will be much cheaper and affordable. not to mention longer operating hours.
07-05-2009, 12:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
Good quick review, and some nice shots. Your model in the last looks thrilled to be a test subject of the K7.

I found a K7 in Geelong this am, and had a bit of a play. It is fast on the focus, and very light.

How did you find the weight vs stability? I've been shooting a K10D with the grip. It is nice and stable, but not so much fun to lug around on street shooting days, never mind on long walks!

The shop in moorabool st?

I was there yesterday too, almost ready to pull the trigger except I didn't care for the kit lense the salesman was trying to push on me, plus I thought I could get a better price if I looked harder.

07-05-2009, 05:02 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Yep, that's the one. I'd wait a bit, see what the online stores have, then see if they will price match. You wouldn't want that sigma.
07-05-2009, 05:56 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
Yep, that's the one. I'd wait a bit, see what the online stores have, then see if they will price match. You wouldn't want that sigma.
Actually so far I haven't seen a HUGE difference between online stores and the shops.

I have an 18-50mm lense on the K100D it's a pretty mediocre lense imho.
07-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by xhanatos Quote
i shoot AV most of the time and for the k10d, i have the front e-dial set to ISO so there is no need to press any buttons. already have similar setting on k-7

pressing the iso button then the Green button reverts back to auto-iso. love the shortcuts!

FYI, In AV you just have to press the green button by itself to revert to Auto ISO.
07-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bentax Quote
FYI, In AV you just have to press the green button by itself to revert to Auto ISO.
so it does! even better. thanks.. one less button to press

07-06-2009, 04:30 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Fellow Aussies, I have an overseas trip planning in next month or so. My friend told me that I can get some tax rebate if i just submit the receipt at the airport but i have not done this before. Is this true?

If so, how should i go about doing it? Do I need to show proof of the camera before i drop the receipt somewhere? How do i get my tax refund?

Many thanks
Cheers
raider
07-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #25

Yep, you can claim back the GST as you go through customs. There is a separate desk to make the claims. I did this with my K100D. You need to have all the gear with you, and the tax invoice.
07-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #26

From the customs website: includes residents!

Did not know about this!

Advice for travellers

About the Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS)

The TRS enables you to claim a refund, subject to certain conditions, of the goods and services tax (GST) and wine equalisation tax (WET) that you pay on goods you buy in Australia.

To claim a refund you must:

* Spend $300 (GST inclusive) or more in the one store and get a single tax invoice
* Buy goods no more than 30 days before departure
* Wear or carry the goods on board the aircraft or ship and present them along with your original tax invoice, passport and international boarding pass to a Customs Officer at a TRS facility
* Claims at airports are available up to 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure of your flight.
* Claims at seaports should be made no earlier than 4 hours and no later than 1 hour prior to the scheduled departure time of the vessel.

The refund only applies to goods you take with you as hand luggage or wear (unless aviation security measures, effective from 31 March 2007, in regard to liquids, aerosols and gels prevent you from doing so) onto the aircraft or ship when you leave Australia. It does not apply to services or goods consumed or partly consumed in Australia, such as wine, chocolate or perfume. However, unlike other tourist shopping schemes, most of the goods, such as clothing and cameras, can be used in Australia before departure.

The TRS is open to all overseas visitors and Australian residents, except operating air and sea crew.
07-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Thanks for the info!

Now how does the refund come back as? As cash or cheque or ??
07-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I just put a deposit on a K7 + Sigma 17-70 at Elizabeth St Camera, $1890 all together.
07-07-2009, 01:50 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
I just put a deposit on a K7 + Sigma 17-70 at Elizabeth St Camera, $1890 all together.

Thats a good price

cheers

Neil
07-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Well the body price there was $100 cheaper ($1599) than othe stores in the area. Plus I got the 17-70mm for $299 which was unusually cheap compared to other places i'd seen it, oh well I wasn't complaining.

I'll pick it up in a week or two once I finish my tax return, trying not to spend more on the credit card lol

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod2838.htm $519 online, $299 in a shop can't believe it!!!!

I tested the camera out today with the 17-70mm and loved the lense, I tried it out with the Pentax 18-50 WR lense which was ok but didn't really impress me.