Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
Neil, it seems my observations and subsequent questions about this sequence appear to be criticism toward your skills and I am truly sorry if that is the perception. That was not the intent.
Chris
No problems mate

no offence taken at all... one happy family here

Cheers

Neil

07-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #17

Although the subject is fairly well in focus, to my eye the focus is set well to the front of the subject. This may not be a "front focus" error, however.

I would be interested to know if the focus area (AF point) was set to Auto.

On my K200D I have frequently seen occasions where this mode will pick a point to focus on other than what I have in mind and it's usually some object in front of the object I'm interested in. That's why I am uncomfortable about using this setting although when trying to capture fast action it's only by luck that I will get the subject in focus if I'm using one of the other settings.

I don't fault the camera for this problem. How does it know what I want to be in focus when there are multiple choices and no time to ask questions.
07-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
thanks everyone else for comments... I am sure you will be more than pleased with the difference in fps and AF in the K-7 as my post was made not to display my skills or lack of them lol... but rather the ability and features of the K-7
QuoteOriginally posted by RichMurphy Quote
Although the subject is fairly well in focus, to my eye the focus is set well to the front of the subject. This may not be a "front focus" error, however.

I would be interested to know if the focus area (AF point) was set to Auto.
+1
AF set to AUTO would have picked the front step edge.

Another question ...

Can anybody with a production K-7 and a Sandisk Extreme III verify the following? :

Set JPEG quality to 14.6 MP 1 star, Exposure/WB/focus to manual, and shoot hi burst 4 or 5 times for 10 seconds or more, each. Can you maintain full burst speed beyond the advertized limit of 40 images?

I ask because my pre-series K-7 could do this: shooting at 5.2fps for ages
07-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Autofocus was on... this was what I was testing. FPS and AF capabilities for action.

Neil

07-07-2009, 06:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Autofocus was on...
Question was: AF set to AUTO? (not ON)
It can be AUTO, SELect, or Center (AF point).
07-07-2009, 06:23 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was set to Auto

I left it on default settings that day... this was my first days use of the camera, did everything that day in default mode or settings camera arrived in...apart from AV and ISO settings.

I actually plan on returning to this skateboard park and giving this another try, this weekend maybe and use some different settings to compare results

Neil

Last edited by nulla; 07-07-2009 at 06:31 PM.
07-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Another question ...

Can anybody with a production K-7 and a Sandisk Extreme III verify the following? :

Set JPEG quality to 14.6 MP 1 star, Exposure/WB/focus to manual, and shoot hi burst 4 or 5 times for 10 seconds or more, each. Can you maintain full burst speed beyond the advertized limit of 40 images?

I ask because my pre-series K-7 could do this: shooting at 5.2fps for ages
I have a 16gig Panasonic Class 6 - just tried this and the shooting does not stop! I stopped at about 70 pictures.

Mark

07-08-2009, 02:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Darth Ramirez Quote
I have a 16gig Panasonic Class 6 - just tried this and the shooting does not stop! I stopped at about 70 pictures.
Mark,

this is great news. And thank YOu for the test

Maybe, you can look up the seconds in the EXIFs (of first and last image, e.g., using PhotoME software) to verify that it was full 5fps. 70 pictures tells me that it didn't slow down in your case. I got differing fps when doing the test: 4.3fps and 5.2fps and it seemed to be arbitrary.

BTW, if you start the burst out of LV, the mirror won't slap. I found no influence on burst speed though.

Anyway, CONTINUOUS burst at 5.2 fps is pretty cool ...
07-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Darth Ramirez Quote

Mark
Sweet, does a class 4 card reach the specified amount though (or more)? and can it cope with video?
07-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roof_top Quote
Sweet, does a class 4 card reach the specified amount though (or more)? and can it cope with video?
Even Class 6 (36 MBit/s) is not enough for 3 star 720p. You need a card outperforming Class 6, like Sandisk Extreme III (and maybe Ultra II as well).
07-09-2009, 06:08 AM   #26

Even Class 6 (36 MBit/s) is not enough for 3 star 720p. You need a card outperforming Class 6, like Sandisk Extreme III (and maybe Ultra II as well).
yikes...so you can't even get some short clips i.e 1min max with an average class 6 card? guess I'll have to pick up a dedicated movie card then and use my class 4s and 6s as stills only
07-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roof_top Quote
yikes...so you can't even get some short clips i.e 1min max with an average class 6 card? guess I'll have to pick up a dedicated movie card then and use my class 4s and 6s as stills only
Most class 6 cards will be fast enough. It is just that the class 6 specification doesn't guarantee this.

Even with a slower card would you still be able to record movie, just lower the quality rating.

Dedicated movie cards are meant to be HDV camera cards. But these only record at ~10 MBit/s, about class 2. They are the worst option.
07-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The fourth and fiftth are my faves. I love how his face is sharp, but his feet have a little rotational blur... really emphasizes what's going on.
07-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #29

Dedicated movie cards are meant to be HDV camera cards. But these only record at ~10 MBit/s, about class 2. They are the worst option.
yes, of course I didn't mean the BS marketing cards, I was talking about gettin an Extreme III card. Oh and a side note: not all "video cards" are class 2. Transcend has a class 6 "240min" card.
07-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Most class 6 cards will be fast enough. It is just that the class 6 specification doesn't guarantee this.
Couldn't agree more; though you may be surprised by what you can find out there.

I got me a stupid-cheap 8 GB Class 6 A-Data SD card, and typical write speeds are 10 MB/s or more; depending on the writer.