Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-7 fps put to test.

Went into the city and found this skateboard park and thought it a good place to put the K-7 to test.

The day was very miserable weatherwise, so I shot at iso 200 to help reduce motion blur while I thought I would close down a bit for a better depth of field by setting in av to 3.5.. lens used was DA* 16-50.

Results were better than expected and mind you I am not much of an action shooter so this was new to me... must comment though that there are some very talented kids amongst the group that were there.

photos are not cropped and straight out of the camera.

Here is a group rapid fired sequence.

cheers

Neil

07-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dang... 5fps never looked so good on a PENTAX dslr ehh?
I like the 4th picture best because you can obviously see the intensity in the people around him and the concentration in his face (and b/c I don't see his briefs in that one ) THanks for demonstrating the 5fps!!!
07-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very impressive sequence. Yay K7!.

Weather looks typical Melbourne
07-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

nulla, good shots! I think the AF is definitely an improvement.

07-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

last one is a keeper !
07-04-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool sequence.
5fps comes in handy...
07-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Results were better than expected and mind you I am not much of an action shooter so this was new to me... must comment though that there are some very talented kids amongst the group that were there.
lol I wouldn't stick a bar in between my legs and do jumps without some talent as I could imagine it could have some unpleasant accidents. great photos thou, and a good example of the burst rate.

07-05-2009, 01:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Excellent nulla.

I think we'll be seeing lots more Pentax action shots from now on.

Picked my K-7 yesterday - good fun ain't it?

mutters
07-05-2009, 02:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Great images. I am tempted to grab a copy myself!
07-05-2009, 05:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I am not attempting to be critical but there appears to be some camera movement both side to side and up and down during the sequence. I am sure it was unavoidable being handheld (I am assuming). I also think I see a bit of front focus. So I have a few questions.

Was SR activated?
Does SR even work during burst?
Is there FF or am I mistaken?
If there is FF do you think it was camera error, operator error or unavoidable due to lighting/weather conditions?

Before I joined this fine forum I would have said "WOW that is awesome" after seeing this sequence but you guys/gals have taught me to be more critical when viewing images. I am agonizing over my back focus issues on my K10 and would love to see this problem eliminated on my next DSLR.

Thank you for posting your images Neil and please don't take my criticism personally as I am just a duffer.

Last edited by bogiesbad; 07-05-2009 at 05:06 AM.
07-05-2009, 05:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
I am not attempting to be critical but there appears to be some camera movement both side to side and up and down during the sequence. I am sure it was unavoidable being handheld (I am assuming). I also think I see a bit of front focus. So I have a few questions.

Was SR activated?
If there is FF do you think it was camera error, operator error or unavoidable due to lighting/weather conditions?

Before I joined this fine forum I would have said "WOW that is awesome" after seeing this sequence but you guys/gals have taught me to be more critical when viewing images. I am agonizing over my back focus issues on my K10 and would love to see this problem eliminated on my next DSLR.

Thank you for posting your images Neil and please don't take my criticism personally as I am just a duffer.
How do you come to the conclusion that there is a front focusing problem here? Is it only based on the unsharp background? The OP has wisely choosed a large apperture opening in order to get a short DOF and isolate the subject against the background. That is not a camera error, but a good decission by the photographer.

SR or not, look at the ground below the kid. It is sharp. The kid is partly unsharp because of his fast motion. The OP could have used a shorter time if he wanted to freeze the subject in motion, but he can just as well have wanted this effect since it show how fast the kid moved. This has nothing to do with SR (in which case the ground would also have been affected) or if SR work at high fps.

Nice, serie nulla! Thanks for posting!
07-05-2009, 05:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
How do you come to the conclusion that there is a front focusing problem here? Is it only based on the unsharp background? The OP has wisely choosed a large apperture opening in order to get a short DOF and isolate the subject against the background. That is not a camera error, but a good decission by the photographer.

SR or not, look at the ground below the kid. It is sharp. The kid is partly unsharp because of his fast motion. The OP could have used a shorter time if he wanted to freeze the subject in motion, but he can just as well have wanted this effect since it show how fast the kid moved. This has nothing to do with SR (in which case the ground would also have been affected) or if SR work at high fps.

Nice, serie nulla! Thanks for posting!
To my eyes the railing on the right shows the best focus in front of the subject but if you tell me I am wrong I accept that. Thank you.

Last edited by bogiesbad; 07-05-2009 at 05:41 AM.
07-05-2009, 05:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't see any FF. If you look at the photo, particularly the ground, you can see the in-focus depth of field extends several metres, including in a bit in front and a bit behind the plane of the guy flipping. The autofocus had very little work to do in this shot and seems to have gotten everything OK.

The motion blur of the subject isn't FF.

Pity there is no EXIF data in the photos. I'm curious about the shutter speed.
07-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote

Was SR activated?

there may be slight motion blur... as I said I am new to action and maybe needed more shutter speed... the camera movement is simply my following the subject or anticipating his movements to keep them in the frame...hand held FYI.

The sequence I posted was the best of a group of bursts I took of different kids and I had only wished that the young lad had of repeated his effort while I was there.

thanks everyone else for comments... I am sure you will be more than pleased with the difference in fps and AF in the K-7 as my post was made not to display my skills or lack of them lol... but rather the ability and features of the K-7

Neil
07-06-2009, 03:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
there may be slight motion blur... as I said I am new to action and maybe needed more shutter speed... the camera movement is simply my following the subject or anticipating his movements to keep them in the frame...hand held FYI.

The sequence I posted was the best of a group of bursts I took of different kids and I had only wished that the young lad had of repeated his effort while I was there.

thanks everyone else for comments... I am sure you will be more than pleased with the difference in fps and AF in the K-7 as my post was made not to display my skills or lack of them lol... but rather the ability and features of the K-7

Neil
Neil, it seems my observations and subsequent questions about this sequence appear to be criticism toward your skills and I am truly sorry if that is the perception. That was not the intent.
Chris