Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
Sell your old O-ME53 with your old camera, then buy a "new" one to put on your new camera. You'll want a new one on that shiny new K-7.

I got really attached to the O-ME53 on the K20D and it is working out just as well on the K-7.
same here used O-ME53 on K200D but moving it over to K-7 now

07-18-2009, 03:11 AM   #17

Sorry to dredge this thread up, but I thought it would be better than starting a new one.

Has anyone tried a KPS x1.35 magnifier on the K7? How well does it work? ManuH, you said you have one - have you tried it yet?

I just bought a KPS UMC (would have gone for the U-13C but this was a bargain). It does not fit on my K100d without modification, but I can see by holding it up to the viewfinder that the difference is night and day, especially for my feeble eyes. There are, however, hints of vignetting. Is this going to be much worse on the K7?

Basically, I'm wondering whether to grind down the KPS to fit on my K100 (as many others have done), or to keep it intact to use on the K7.
03-19-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd like to update this thread with a little input in hopes of helping someone along the way.

From my own experience, the KPS magnifier is well made and works as advertised.

However... do keep in mind that a magnifications over a viewfinder does affect the overall FOV also. The effect(unfortunately) will vary based on the distance between the eye and the actual viewfinder itself, however, it many cases, you will find yourself shifting your line of sight slightly in order to see the entire VF layout. One example of this is where you might want to look at the bottom information panel(realtime frame statistics: ISO, Shutter, Ev etc.) which would require that you shift your eye(slightly) so as to see the bottom.

Having said that, the KPS 1.3x magnifier works well, and having used them on my K20's, and the line of sight changes never really bothered me at all.

If I had one thing to complain about, that would be where the eyecup can and does loosen-up over time and can get lost. I've lost two of these in one summer until I finally giving-in and putting loc-tite on it.

PS. there is also the TENPA 1.36x Magnifier Eyepiece for PENTAX that I think is well deserving of a look. The item seems very well built and perhaps better than its KPS counterpart.

Hope this helps
03-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have no problem using the O-ME53 with my K-7, K200D and K-r.

03-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote

PS. there is also the TENPA 1.36x Magnifier Eyepiece for PENTAX that I think is well deserving of a look. The item seems very well built and perhaps better than its KPS counterpart.
I recently ordered the "new" Tenpa 1.36 and fell in love with it! So much so that I almost immediately ordered another one for my other body. This comes after years of using OME-53's. The Tenpa's mounting plate is specifically for Pentax (there are different models, obviously), so there are no adapter plates to use. The optics are first-rate and overall construction is very solid. The only negative in my book is that the rubber eyecup is a dust-hair-lint magnet, but it can be used without the cup, as there is another rubber-lined eyepiece. I think it's worth it to use the eyecup, though, as the light sealing is really nice. Highly recommended!
03-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I'd like to update this thread with a little input in hopes of helping someone along the way.

From my own experience, the KPS magnifier is well made and works as advertised.

However... do keep in mind that a magnifications over a viewfinder does affect the overall FOV also. The effect(unfortunately) will vary based on the distance between the eye and the actual viewfinder itself, however, it many cases, you will find yourself shifting your line of sight slightly in order to see the entire VF layout. One example of this is where you might want to look at the bottom information panel(realtime frame statistics: ISO, Shutter, Ev etc.) which would require that you shift your eye(slightly) so as to see the bottom.

Having said that, the KPS 1.3x magnifier works well, and having used them on my K20's, and the line of sight changes never really bothered me at all.

If I had one thing to complain about, that would be where the eyecup can and does loosen-up over time and can get lost. I've lost two of these in one summer until I finally giving-in and putting loc-tite on it.

Hope this helps
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I recently ordered the "new" Tenpa 1.36 and fell in love with it! So much so that I almost immediately ordered another one for my other body. This comes after years of using OME-53's. The Tenpa's mounting plate is specifically for Pentax (there are different models, obviously), so there are no adapter plates to use. The optics are first-rate and overall construction is very solid. The only negative in my book is that the rubber eyecup is a dust-hair-lint magnet, but it can be used without the cup, as there is another rubber-lined eyepiece. I think it's worth it to use the eyecup, though, as the light sealing is really nice. Highly recommended!
+1 on the Tenpa. it is one very useful tool and much better than the OME-53. I haven't really tried the KPS but from the looks of it, the Tenpa seems to be slightly better when it comes to built (especially the complaint that JB has about it). considering that the prices are not that too far from each other, my vote goes to the Tenpa. workmanship is great and really handy tool for intricate focusing. only minor complaint about it blocks the full corners of the VF (like a vignetting effect in your vision) but it is not really a bother unless you are focusing on the corner edges which I don't think that people would focus on.

btw, I highly advice people to get the 1.36x magnification inorder to get the full FOV of the image. anything higher than that would cut out your field of vision to the center of the image.

also, I have been using the Tenpa for almost 2 years now, and it has never gotten worn out.
03-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's the cost of the tenpa ?

03-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
What's the cost of the tenpa ?
$30 on eBay + shipping. KPS is $40, shipping included. so not much difference with regards to pricing.
03-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #24
Veteran Member

why do you feel the Tenpa is better than the OME-53..what is it doing for you that the Pentax version does not?

Im in the process of getting a magnifying eye cup..so pro and cons would be helpful
03-23-2011, 01:29 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The 1.36x Mag on the Tenpa sounds good, so the tenpa provides full 100% fov?
03-23-2011, 01:33 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Ive just had a look at the Tenpa..the optic looks bigger than the OME-53..is that the case ?

can any of you guys that have either the OME 53 or the tenpa, please post a picture of the camera with it installed Id like to see the size difference ..

Last edited by Tommot1965; 03-23-2011 at 01:41 AM.
03-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

why do you feel the Tenpa is better than the OME-53..what is it doing for you that the Pentax version does not?

Im in the process of getting a magnifying eye cup..so pro and cons would be helpful
main reason is the magnification. OME-53 has mag ratio of 1.18x while Tenpa has 1.36x. since 1.36x has higher mag value, it is easier to focus small or more distant subject since the image look bigger.
03-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
The 1.36x Mag on the Tenpa sounds good, so the tenpa provides full 100% fov?
Yes, and it doesn't cut out the VF info that a 2x eyepiece does. they eyecup maybe a hindrance and blocks the corner view if you don't press your eye on it or look closely.
03-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Ive just had a look at the Tenpa..the optic looks bigger than the OME-53..is that the case ?

can any of you guys that have either the OME 53 or the tenpa, please post a picture of the camera with it installed Id like to see the size difference ..
Tenpa is bigger, about approximately twice the size. although it's not really a problem or a bother for me at all.
03-23-2011, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

Here ya go...a quick-n-dirty pic of K7 with the "new" Tenpa 1.36 (they claim some recent improvements that escape me at the moment). Taken with K5 at ISO 3200! (pardon me, I still get excited over that.)

So, obviously, the Tenpa is bigger than the OME-53, but that big eyecup is what helps block extraneous light. You can fold it back or remove it if you need to save space in the bag or something. The eyecup is quite soft and comfortable on the eye socket. Plus, the size of the assembly helps keep your oily nose off the lcd.
Attached Images