Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K20D issues. Camera locking up. *Update*

Howdy, first post here. I searched a little and came up with nothing that specifically suited my question.

I just purchased a Factory Refurbished K20D body from BestBuy.com. I was looking to get into DSLR shooting and found this to be a great deal considering I already had a few lenses from my SuperProgram film camera. It still has a 3 Month Warranty from Pentax.

I've been having an issue as of late that renders my camera useless until I remove and replace the battery. After taking a few shots, whether it be with the flash, long exposures for fireworks, or sunset shots, the camera shuts me out completely.

I have it set for the 3 second review after the shot is taken, but when my issue comes up, the orange light on the back does not flash to show it is processing, and the 3 second review never shows up. I've waited in excess of 5 minutes for a single shot to process and still nothing. I press the review button and nothing. Menu button, FN button, shutter, etc...nothing. When I turn the camera to the Off position, the number of photos left to be taken on the card appears in the top LCD panel. When I attempt to turn the camera back on, the top LCD panel displays normal, but the camera still shuts me out. The only thing I have found is to turn the camera Off, remove then replace the battery, and I can shoot again until it happens again.

Last night it happened enough that I got fed up with it and put it away.

Any ideas?

Last edited by IN_Varmntr; 07-07-2009 at 08:06 AM.
07-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
Dom

I'm not sure if this is going to help but have you tried a different memory card?
07-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a little company in the forum to talk to -->https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/54117-poll-k20d-freeze-ups.html
07-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #4

Happened to me on a new k20. Ended up sending it in for service. They replaced the main board and since then not a single problem. Took about 3 weeks total.

Dave

07-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
I'm not sure if this is going to help but have you tried a different memory card?
Nope. I've got a few SanDisk Extreme lll cards, and it happens on both of them.

Thanks for the info, dcymbor. I'll hafta get ahold of Pentax CS tomorrow. I'm planning a trip at the end of this month, so hopefully I'll have it back by then.

I really love this camera though. Here's a picture I took yesterday...

Last edited by IN_Varmntr; 07-05-2009 at 11:00 AM.
07-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #6

Same thing Here

QuoteOriginally posted by IN_Varmntr Quote
Howdy, first post here. I searched a little and came up with nothing that specifically suited my question.

I just purchased a Factory Refurbished K20D body from BestBuy.com. I was looking to get into DSLR shooting and found this to be a great deal considering I already had a few lenses from my SuperProgram film camera. It still has a 3 Month Warranty from Pentax.

I've been having an issue as of late that renders my camera useless until I remove and replace the battery. After taking a few shots, whether it be with the flash, long exposures for fireworks, or sunset shots, the camera shuts me out completely.

I have it set for the 3 second review after the shot is taken, but when my issue comes up, the orange light on the back does not flash to show it is processing, and the 3 second review never shows up. I've waited in excess of 5 minutes for a single shot to process and still nothing. I press the review button and nothing. Menu button, FN button, shutter, etc...nothing. When I turn the camera to the Off position, the number of photos left to be taken on the card appears in the top LCD panel. When I attempt to turn the camera back on, the top LCD panel displays normal, but the camera still shuts me out. The only thing I have found is to turn the camera Off, remove then replace the battery, and I can shoot again until it happens again.

Last night it happened enough that I got fed up with it and put it away.

Any ideas?
I just got a k20d last weeek from bh photo ..this is my second k20d my first one is my main camera and i have had no problems with it yet

the k20d i just got is doing the same thing u have described in detail...im sending it back for another one and i hope that one is flawless ...i just sold my k10d to buy the second 20d and im wondering if that was a mistake
07-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcymbor Quote
Happened to me on a new k20. Ended up sending it in for service. They replaced the main board and since then not a single problem. Took about 3 weeks total.

Dave
Exact same scenario with me. In fact, before I sent it in, I started the poll that imtheguy referred to above just to make sure I wasn't the only one with this problem.
07-06-2009, 07:12 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vincentgargano Quote
I just got a k20d last weeek from bh photo ..this is my second k20d my first one is my main camera and i have had no problems with it yet

the k20d i just got is doing the same thing u have described in detail...im sending it back for another one and i hope that one is flawless ...i just sold my k10d to buy the second 20d and im wondering if that was a mistake
Hopefully we just may have gotten the bad eggs of the batch.

Also, I just got off the phone with Michael at Pentax Customer Service who told me they do not offer Factory Refurbished anything from them and that my warranty must be through BestBuy (which it isn't because I did not purchase any warranty from them). He also stated that he has never heard of this issue and that if I want it fixed, I will have to pay for it out of pocket. I don't have the warranty card with me right now, but I'm 99.999% sure it stated that the warranty was through Pentax, and NOT to send it back to the store of purchase for warranty information. I believe it also stated that the camera was used as a demo or something of the like and that Pentax Technicians have tested to ensure the functionality of the camera prior to being delivered to me.

Oh well, either way, I will deal with it until I get back from my D.C. trip the end of this month, as I bought it just for taking it with me. It will be cutting it too close to send it in now.

Last edited by IN_Varmntr; 07-06-2009 at 12:34 PM.
07-07-2009, 08:44 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I'm sending it in overnight for rush-service to have it back before leaving on vacation on the 25th of this month. We will see what happens.