Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
why so noisy??

I have had the K20 for about half a year. I upgraded from an old ist DL. I was out last night shooting some fireworks and I took a look at the photos today and i have to say, although im in love with my new camera and am well versed in avoiding noise every way possible... compared to some photos I use to take with the DL...the K20's not much better when it comes to controlling noise in some situations. It may be a result of higher resolution etc. but looking back at nighttime photos from my ist dl, the noise just isn't as noticeable at all..

Anyone have similar experiences? I shot last night almost wide open at iso 100 and only exposures up to about 50 seconds...

Owen

07-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't think anyone normally claims the K20D is much better than the DL at high ISO. The K20D should indeed look noticeably worse if viewing at 100%, since the K20D is higher resolution. When comparing at the same size as the DL, the K20D should look better than it did at 100%, but not necessarily much better than the DL.

BTW, if you have D-range on, turn it off if you are concerned about shadow noise.