Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Walk Around Lens, Starting from Scratch

Howdy-

My first post here, and thanks all for info I've gained over the last couple weeks as a lurker.

After assuming I'd been buying Canon as I enter the DSLR world, I'm now leaning toward getting a K20D at a good price to learn on. I've been reading about the K7, but think I'll have my hands full with the K20D and wanted to focus on learning digital, and have money for a good walk around lens to build on.

I'm thinking about the new 18-55 WR lens, since I do a lot of outside photography (in my former 35mm life), but also have been reading about the 16-50 2.8. Given the additional price and size, and wanting to also get a 50-135 later, are there significant image quality or other considerations I should think about and save for getting the 16-50 first? I don't really want two lenses in that range, i.e. get the 18-55 WF and wish I purchased the 16-50 in the first place.

Thanks for helping with your thoughts.

Last edited by Biff; 07-05-2009 at 09:20 PM.
07-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello and welcome

For me, personally, I would start with the WR kit lens (when it comes out). That way, you can decide if that zoom range is good for you, if you want primes instead, etc.

At the worst, you can resell the WR lens to get some money back. Or, just keep it for backup or if/when you sell the K20, include it in the sale.

If you have the means, go for the DA* straight away. If you're not sure you'll like Pentax (can't see that happening ) or don't want to carry the weight of the DA*, or feel that a constant f/2.8 is too "good" for re-learning photography, then start with the kit lens...
07-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It depends on your budget... The 16-50 is a pretty pricey lense. Plus it's large. But if you get a good copy, it's supposed to be an excellent lens.

Another option would be to get the WR kit lens, and something like the Pentax or sigma 17-70 (not WR) for when the weather is more forgiving. Less expensive and you still get both a WR lens and a "better" lens (the kit is good enough, but it's a slow and inexpensive lens, so it's not up to the best of what Pentax can offer).

You can also just get the WR kit, and get a few lovely primes as the OP said.

Personally, I would get the kit, plus some used lenses, maybe manual, to learn and experiment. THEN you decide if you want to purchase expensive, profesionnal-quality glass. Or you keep exploring the used market (as I do) and find gems from time to time.
07-05-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks All

Thanks for the helpful insight. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the new 18-55 WR kit lens to start and then decide what I might want after awhile. I've read a bit about the new 50-200 WR, and its price on Amazon looks pretty good as well, and they both could give me a nice range to play around with. At prices I've seen the K20D body lately I could get all three new, 3 year warrantee on the body, and maybe lunch, for less than $1,100.

Seems like a good outdoor and travel starter kit to me.

07-06-2009, 03:43 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
Thanks for the helpful insight. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the new 18-55 WR kit lens to start and then decide what I might want after awhile. I've read a bit about the new 50-200 WR, and its price on Amazon looks pretty good as well, and they both could give me a nice range to play around with. At prices I've seen the K20D body lately I could get all three new, 3 year warrantee on the body, and maybe lunch, for less than $1,100.

Seems like a good outdoor and travel starter kit to me.
i agree with you, but you have to remember 18-55 and 50-200 are both "light hungry lenses"! during the day time they perform very good, but if there is no enough light - the result is not good at all!