Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 04:13 PM   #1

Stolen camera tracking

After a heavy day of Fourth of July partying, it's really looking like my next door neighbor swiped my K110D from the table it had been on during our cook out. I'm trying to find something that has the serial number on it so I can file a police report for pawn shops and such, and I since I can't find one, I was wondering if there was one in the exif data somewhere.

Any suggestions on what I may be able to do to try and recover it as far as tracking it, or searching for pictures from my camera in online services, or what might be helpful for the police?

07-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
I can file a police report for pawn shops and such, and I since I can't find one, I was wondering if there was one in the exif data somewhere.
Try with PhotoME, it should report the serial#

EDIT: PhotoME only shows the internal serial# which is not the same as the one printed under the camera.
07-05-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't remember...is the serial number on the box? (Do you still have the box?)

Bummer, man. I had my car stolen years ago with my main "mother ship" camera bag in it...they got everything photographic I owned except a small worthless tripod. Since then I have religiously kept serial numbers, even emailing them to my self on gmail so I'll always have a copy of them.

Good luck with your recover effort; I know that sucks.
07-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After a heavy day of Fourth of July partying, it's really looking like my next door neighbor swiped my K110D from the table it had been on during our cook out. I'm trying to find something that has the serial number on it so I can file a police report for pawn shops and such, and I since I can't find one, I was wondering if there was one in the exif data somewhere.

Any suggestions on what I may be able to do to try and recover it as far as tracking it, or searching for pictures from my camera in online services, or what might be helpful for the police?

The camera store you bought the camera from may have a record of the serial number they sold you. It's worth a try.

07-05-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
Inactive Account

If you registered your camera, the manufacturer will have a record of the serial number.
07-05-2009, 06:19 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Try with PhotoME, it should report the serial#

EDIT: PhotoME only shows the internal serial# which is not the same as the one printed under the camera.
Use PhotoMe on a picture you have on off camera & one from the camera.
07-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Dang... that sucks.

But are you sure its not an excuse to get the K-7? jkjkjkjk

Hope it all gets figured out. Why not try look through your yard ( like no1 thought of that )

07-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Confront the neighbor, ask him if he saw anyone pick up or play with the camera. Watch his reaction carefully. Ask him if he saw anyone looking at it, browsing pictures on it, etc. Ask if he remembers anyone standing around the table. If all else fails, look really bumed out about it and tell him it was a gift from a family member and it meant a lot to you. Maybe he'll have a change of heart and it will show up on your doorstep one morning.

Pretty low-life thing for a neighbor to do
07-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just read here that the army are micro-chipping all their rifles so they can track them. Would that add much to the cost of a camera?
07-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Confront the neighbor, ask him if he saw anyone pick up or play with the camera. Watch his reaction carefully. Ask him if he saw anyone looking at it, browsing pictures on it, etc. Ask if he remembers anyone standing around the table. If all else fails, look really bumed out about it and tell him it was a gift from a family member and it meant a lot to you. Maybe he'll have a change of heart and it will show up on your doorstep one morning.

Pretty low-life thing for a neighbor to do
Low life isn't even the word. I'm convinced he took it and have absolutely no proof. There's a slip of paper in the box that I missed the first time that's a six or seven digit number that I THINK is the serial number. The card it's on says "This is a serial number card, not a warranty card", so I'm guessing that number is what I need. I'm pretty sure my odds of getting it back are slim to none. I'm going to the police substation near my house today to see what I can do.

The worst part is that this is the camera I was teaching my girlfriend to use a DSLR with, so it's got all her fourth of july pictures on it, including many of her nephew's first fourth of July -- his little one month old hands clenched on an American flag, etc. She's completely distraught and intimidated by the size of the K20D.

The one bright lining is that now I DO have an excuse to order a K-7, but I'm thinking the odds of being able to get one of the first shipment of them is unlikely at this point. Ordered from Adorama late last night and got a backorder notice today. She's going to visit her best friend in Vermont on Friday, and I was going to send the K110D with her. Hopefully I can put a K-7 in her hands by this weekend, because I'm guessing the size and feel of it will be more comfortable for her than the K20D.
07-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your suspicions might be sufficient "probable cause" for the police to take out a search warrant for the neighbor's place looking for the camera.
07-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Probable cause

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
Your suspicions might be sufficient "probable cause" for the police to take out a search warrant for the neighbor's place looking for the camera.

I'm not a lawyer, but with nothing more than his uncorroborated suspicion, I don't think he's even CLOSE to having probable cause. If a couple of guests were willing to swear that they saw the neighbor holding the camera, maybe.
07-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
Damn Brit

The bigger problem here is, whether true or not, that person will still be a neighbour.
07-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
The bigger problem here is, whether true or not, that person will still be a neighbour.
Reminds me of the movie Lakeview Terrace.

I still think going over there looking really upset about the lost camera and not revealing your suspicions through body language or tone of voice is the best way to get it back, if he in fact has it.

Some people who steal actually have a heart and will return the item anonymously once they realize how badly they hurt someone. I know, the chance is slim but I can't think of another way to actually talk to the person who took it and let him see your emotions.

Once you get the police involved you can bet he won't respond nicely.

You could even tell him that you were using it to teach someone photography and that hopefully the perp will have a change of heart and return it in the middle of the night.
07-06-2009, 01:50 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Reminds me of the movie Lakeview Terrace.

I still think going over there looking really upset about the lost camera and not revealing your suspicions through body language or tone of voice is the best way to get it back, if he in fact has it.

Some people who steal actually have a heart and will return the item anonymously once they realize how badly they hurt someone. I know, the chance is slim but I can't think of another way to actually talk to the person who took it and let him see your emotions.

Once you get the police involved you can bet he won't respond nicely.

You could even tell him that you were using it to teach someone photography and that hopefully the perp will have a change of heart and return it in the middle of the night.

To be honest, that's what I had hoped he'd do as a last ditch effort. He's a real screw up as a kid and has multiple legal problems. He wouldn't admit to taking the camera when confronted, even though he admitted to stealing other inexpensive things we KNOW he took (Beer, fireworks). I kept trying to give him an out to spin it off as an accident, since he was drunk and drugged up when he was over. I really hoped when I drove some of my friends home yesterday it would show up mysteriously under the porch or some place we "forgot to look /wink wink". I'm just hoping it'll eventually turn up at a pawnshop, and the serial number will get it back for me. My gut level feeling is he stole it and immediately passed it off to someone else in exchange for drugs. By then, I'll be able to just give it to my girlfriend and have a shiny new K-7 for myself...

Man, I'm going to have to really look follow up some wedding leads this fall to pay for this stuff!